Microsoft tries to patent smileys!

vbimport

WTF!?

patent

Wow!!! :eek:

WTF? people have been using smiles long before any of the Microsoft Messengers? This was filed in January 20, 2004. So I dont think it has got very far…

Yeah, this is the ultimate way for Microsoft to dominate the whole ICT market. If they get this patent, lots of software will have to be changed or the producers will have to pay Microsoft for using this custom smileys. I don’t know for sure, but I think that ICQ already had custom smileys before the MSN Messenger.

Anyhow, I hope that they don’t get the patent, that would be rather insane.

It’s not the first time such things are tried though. Some years ago, a group of people tried to get a patent on the wheel. Although the concept of the wheel wasn’t patented, they didn’t get the patent. I believe this was because of some “prior act” regulation.

Microsoft …

:clap:

Omg what a smiley and what a silly patent. I guess it didnt go very far seeing as it was filed a year and a half ago… Now if you will excuse me, I will go and patent porkchops.

ICQ did have custom smileys, so that’s at least back to 1998 (when I started using ICQ). Someone at MS must be on PCP to think they’ve got a snowball’s chance in hell to patent smileys–especially when Incredimail and tons of other places have custom smileys. Wow–it boggles the mind.

Airhead, how is the patenting of porkchops going? ROFL!!! :bigsmile:

I will patent the internet! Take that Microsoft! Now everyone must start paying me:)

HMmmm smiles are like Cirkle its a parto of humans sience :stuck_out_tongue: It cant be patent! :smiley:

Sorry, kw…Al Gore beat you to it. :iagree: :bigsmile: ROFL!

Yeah, I know, almost as rediculous as trying to patent smilies. Al Gore did not invent the internet, everyone knows I did:p