Microsoft to end mainstream support for Windows 7 in 2015

We’ve just posted the following news: Microsoft to end mainstream support for Windows 7 in 2015[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2013/02/Microsoft-Thumbnail.png[/newsimage]

Microsoft warns users that the mainstream support for all Windows 7 versions ends in the next half year. After that Microsoft will provide extended support for the OS. Besides Windows 7, also Office 2010 SP1 and all Windows Server 2008 versions are affected.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-to-end-mainstream-support-for-windows-7-in-2015-72187](http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-to-end-mainstream-support-for-windows-7-in-2015-72187)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

So. … vista which no one liked they’re supporting until 2017, but windows 7 ends in 2015?
Wtf?

Trying to get their windows 7 cash cow working harder?

It’s also a good way to move people to linux :wink: or try to push them to windows 8 and if we are lucky to windows 9.

Yeah like what they are doing is going to improve their image any faster or get people to go to W8 rather they would wait for W9 or Wx instead.

Mainstream support for Windows 7 Start, Home Premium, Ultimate, Professional and Enterprise stops at January 13th 2015.

This kinda bonehead move is most likely to gain more market shares in Linux and Max O/S instead of people going to W8. How stupid can one be this is akin to thinking inside the box again. This is how one loose a business model take a (&(& on consumer/business and they will move on and you will move to stone age M$$ must think they are smarter then the consumers that are more tech savvy nowdays they will find the way around this and M$$ will cry to their mommy. M$$ used to be a innovative company but it’s starting to look and more look like a backward company that can’t seem to think OUTSIDE THE BOX anymore.

There haven’t been any major improvements to the Windows 7 operating system since SP1. Its not like they’ve been adding anything to this system anyway. Security updates for another 5 years past 2015 will be fine for most users and businesses.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2731636]There haven’t been any major improvements to the Windows 7 operating system since SP1. Its not like they’ve been adding anything to this system anyway. Security updates for another 5 years past 2015 will be fine for most users and businesses.[/QUOTE]

No, but since Business just started to Migrate to W7 Sp1 doing that end support for 2015 doesn’t help their business model to gain more market shares. I still have W7 and don’t need major improvements as it work and does what I suppose to do even if they don’t give us SP2 or SP3 with the offline downloads I will be fine with it. I saved all my offline downloads to a storage so I can always have it handy to reinstall all O/S when I reinstall I have it always handy. But since W7 has taken over for XP trying to force users from W7 to go W8 without any real improvements either doesn’t make for good judgement for us either. So trying to force people from W7 to go W8 when they had so much debacle and now are bring back the True Start Menu is a backward step.

[QUOTE=debro;2731583]So. … vista which no one liked they’re supporting until 2017, but windows 7 ends in 2015?
Wtf?[/QUOTE]
Going by this Windows lifecycle page on Microsoft, Vista mainstream support actually ended April 2012. This probably explains why Internet Explorer 11 and Office 2013 cannot be installed on Windows Vista, as they were launched after that date. The end of extended support for Windows 7 is January 2020. By then I’m sure Microsoft is going to face the same XP-like problem all over again, but this time getting people off Windows 7 to whatever is out then.

In my opinion, I’d consider Windows 7 mainstream support already at an end up for most coming products, as the next version of Office is likely to be 2016 (based on its 3 year cycle) and there’s no sign of an IE12 beta yet. I also doubt Microsoft will consider adding support of Windows 8 apps in Windows 7, not that I care anyway. :disagree:

L8ERsssssss!!!

[QUOTE=Seán;2731642]and there’s no sign of an IE12 beta yet.[/QUOTE]
According to Slashdot there is.

Yikes! I just converted over (from XP) May 2013 - certainly do not look forward to yet another upgrade. I only did so in the first place because I was forced to upgrade order to continue various programs I use. Speaking of “forced to” - Quicken is another heavy-handed company which mandates that you upgrade - else your program becomes dysfunctional at the drop-dead date.

I had one such command performance this past April. Was forced to upgrade to Quicken 14 via their mandatory upgrade policy. I did not notice that it had corrupted several of my accounts therein during the conversion hence I had subsequently added data. Discovered that it “chewed up” some data on several accounts. Accordingly, I now have to execute a convoluted (time consuming) end run in order to get the dropped data back into the program - that or else scrap all of the data I have entered since April - neither is an appealing prospect. These mandatory “upgrades” _____. Another “our hand in your pocket tactic.” I am not a happy camper.