'Microsoft to ditch Edge and replace it with Chromium based browser in Windows 10'

Originally published at: https://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-to-ditch-edge-and-replace-it-with-chromium-based-browser-in-windows-10-85565/

Microsoft is reportedly working on a browser based on Chromium, the open-source browser on which also Google Chrome is based. The browser should eventually replace Microsoft Edge which is currently the default browser for Windows 10.

This isn’t good news. Further reduction in choices for browsers, and extending the dominance of Google’s Chromium will make it more difficult for others, like Firefox.

I avoid Chrome whenever possible, but there are a couple of sites that work better in Chrome than Firefox, so I use it for those two sites only. And I work to obscure identifying marks while online, but there is only so much the individual can do. I use Canvas Defender add-on in Firefox, which helps a bit, and a VPN is becoming more and more necessary for anyone interested in privacy. Even so, I’m sure Google knows more about me than I would be comfortable with.

That’s just lovely…now I’ll being using IE and Chrome and Firefox more now… Opera vanished long ago. And NetScape is nowhere to be find. But as Kerry56 said there are site that work with specific browser and anything microsoft email or login I use IE especially WebOutlook.

Blah.

I never trusted google’s version of Chrome.

I occasionally use Brave which is based on Chromium, with most of the google garbage removed. Brave also has built-in stuff like blocking ads, blocking fingerprinting, disabling scripts by site, tor client, etc … without using any plugins/adons.

I still use Opera. It never went away just uses a Chrome engine. I’m on version 57 now.

No Browser is going to be trusted. If you go that route you shouldn’t trust the internet as well since without the Internet your Browser is worthless.

Rather then let a Browser choose what it does I’ve re-created the hosts file that does the blocking just fine for all browser not just loading for one. Your Browser can go from friendly to honoring the wishes of the adware sites just like adblock did was finally forced to let adware go right through them.

Least one forgets addons/toolbars are the fastest way if a malware acting addons or toolbar installs will speed right past you protections.

Does your hosts file procedure hide your ip address like Tor ?

For example when you read this particular forum, does club.myce.com know what your actual real ip address is?

Your ISP knows your real IP address as well so Tor doesn’t really hide you.

The HOSTS file is just a basic IP address blocker, it doesn’t really do much else.

Problem is Tor won’t hide your ISP. The ISP will know where you’re going to anyway. If your in a country that is Authoritarian and they got hardware and software to find you no amount of TOR will stop them from looking or they just plain Cut the Internet from everyone. I use a proxy and change it from time to time so it’s not the same one every time but when going to a TOR or proxy your internet will slow down regardless and some places if they detect as they will do now any Tor or Proxy not correctly registered they will block access as well. So using such programs come with a cost as some site use this to re-direct the correct traffic as well. And if you going to a tracking site the could also block your access and if that is a Online retailer that can make the experience worse. There are times to use it for privacy but if your doing it so they don’t know your going to ahem Psites or Black sites then you got more problems to deal with at home first.