Microsoft stops with free Word, Excel and Powerpoint viewers

Originally published at: https://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-stops-free-word-excel-powerpoint-viewers-83012/

Microsoft will no longer offer the free Excel and Powerpoint viewers from the 28th of April 2018. Also the Office Compatibility Pack will be no longer available. This month the Redmond software giant already stopped offering its Word viewer. All applications haven’t been updated for 10 years already.

Times have changed and they need money for R&D. This is what I expected to happen. Free is no longer Free lunch and users needs to step and purchase the suite to insure we get Office in the future and R&D keeps going.

Are you seriously suggesting someone should buy the full Office suite if they only want to read a Word, Excel or Powerpoint file in order to support Microsoft’s R&D??

And if you want good software you pay for it. That is a copout response. Office isn’t that expensive of a software with different packages to purchase.

It is not a copout response at all, just utter disbelief at your ridiculous stance. You are suggesting someone should go and buy Office 2016 or Office 365 if they want to view a single Word doc or Excel spreadsheet. If it was to edit or create a file, I would probably agree, but to view one?

What next, we can only view PDFs if we buy Acrobat or we can’t view ZIPs without owning Winzip?

Those viewers are outdated,and easily replacable by free,full fledged Office alternatives,like LibreOffice or WPS Office…

You clearly demonstrate a support of Microsoft products! The reality is that for most people Microsoft Office is no longer relevant or money they don’t need to spend. There’s more than one free open source alternative that serves the needs of most people, so if Microsoft doesn’t want to support their product then perhaps people should be looking for a free open source alternative. Let businesses pay Microsoft’s high prices and let everyone else know about the free alternatives.

https://www.libreoffice.org/

I know it’s been said multiple times, but I’m going to say it anyway: LibreOffice. LibreOffice is The One Office Suite To Rule Them All as far as I’m concerned. I don’t foresee myself even bothering to install MS Office in the foreseeable future.

For a simple (and portable) word processor that loads quickly and is fully compatible with MS Word you could try Atlantis Word Processor. It isn’t free but is cheap and has a trial period (US$35 to register).

If all you want to do is open and view MS Office files, either Free Editor Portable or Free Opener Portable will work just fine. Each of those applications also enables some editing of Word files.