Microsoft starts to show ‘Get Windows 10’ nag screen to business users as well

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Microsoft starts to show ‘Get Windows 10’ nag screen to business users as well[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2015/10/windows-10-reservation-install-95x75.png[/newsimage]

The nag screen urging Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users to update to Windows 10 will soon also be shown to business users. Consumers are nagged to update since July last year, on business computers the ‘Get Windows 10’ screen wasn’t shown, until now.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-starts-to-show-get-windows-10-nag-screen-to-business-users-as-well-78365/](http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-starts-to-show-get-windows-10-nag-screen-to-business-users-as-well-78365/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

It is not like this is going far into the corporate market. This is stopping with the Pro edition and is not entering the realm of the enterprise edition of the client OS.

What it is all about is that Microsoft will push the update to small businesses with Windows update pointing to Microsoft and not handled by the organization, or in other words omit “is connected to a domain” for the upgrade offer when the client connects.

This move may be related to the fact that the release of Windows 10 has gained ground slower than Microsoft anticipated.

I work with a large US Government Security department with 28,000+ desktops and laptops - all Running Windows 7 Enterprise. We use WSUS for our Windows updates. Today, ALL users received the Windows 10 Update nag when they logged in. Obviously very few users are admins, so they are unable to install the update. Still, they can start the download, and uselessly suck up network bandwidth. Apparently, our WSUS team is asleep at the wheel . . . your tax dollars at work !

[QUOTE=wjr;2766660]I work with a large US Government Security department with 28,000+ desktops and laptops - all Running Windows 7 Enterprise. We use WSUS for our Windows updates. Today, ALL users received the Windows 10 Update nag when they logged in. Obviously very few users are admins, so they are unable to install the update. Still, they can start the download, and uselessly suck up network bandwidth. Apparently, our WSUS team is asleep at the wheel . . . your tax dollars at work ![/QUOTE]

Hi wjr and welcome to the forum :flower:

No offense, but your WSUS team is as awake as can be.
You see, there is no free upgrade from Windows 7/8.1 Enterprise to Windows 10 Enterprise and the nag to upgrade only affects the Pro version and only when not handled by WSUS or System Center Configuration Manager.

In other words, if you start to see a nag to update, that nag is an application built by your organization and published to all or only a select group of users in the organization.
Likewise, the actual upgrade is residing on your LAN and is custom built by the IT department. What you may experience as ‘suck up bandwidth’ is merely a glitch where they forgot to prioritize network bandwidth.

It seems like your organization have finished the licensing part and is about to make the switch to Windows 10. I would not think too much about the fact that you are unable to install it at current as this is a controlled upgrade which will be rolled out in steps based on site, organizational unit, group membership or other policy. There are many reasons for this, one of them is not to overload the support team.
I can not entirely see the point in the nag-app, but it is probably to better serve early birds and give them a feeling of participation.

With more than 28000 clients everything has to be controlled by the IT department, I can imagine that you always get assigned to the nearest printer no matter where you are and so on…

If I were you, I would check the internal website for information as to when the switch is going to happen for your team :slight_smile: