Microsoft starts to remove misleading system clean up and optimisation software

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Microsoft starts to remove misleading system clean up and optimisation software[newsimage]http://www.myce.com/wp-content/images_posts/2016/02/optimization-95x75.png[/newsimage]

Applications that claim to clean up and optimise system performance will be removed by Microsoft’s security software if they mislead users.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/78685-78685/](http://www.myce.com/news/78685-78685/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

You know one software that deletes files even without your consent? Windows 10… Are they going to uninstall that too?

Seriously, I’m sure they have good intentions but, how in the world Microsoft feels with the right to DELETE files from MY PC that I put there, without even asking?

And then they wonder why people is not massively upgrading to window 10…

Seemingly a good idea considering the wealth of non working system-optimizers out there, but when thinking of how they flag programs as ‘incompatible’ which indeed are compatible with Windows 10, I wonder how many legitimate programs will be swept away at the same time.

Trust is fragile and Microsoft have long since lost any and all at least in my mind…

[QUOTE=Xercus;2768966]
Trust is fragile and Microsoft have long since lost any and all at least in my mind…[/QUOTE]

My thoughts and feelings as well
I hope CCleaner isn’t caught up in this as that works very well.

[QUOTE=voxsmart;2768987]My thoughts and feelings as well
I hope CCleaner isn’t caught up in this as that works very well.[/QUOTE]

If they ever wanted to create a tropical storm of protests, Microsoft would be caught in the middle of it if they sweep away CCleaner. I think maybe even Microsoft would hesitate in touching it, at least they better.

While I think even that tool is a little too thorough unless tweaked, it is indeed one of the best tools out there and if used wisely will aid you in keeping your computer healthy. :iagree:

I agree Xercus, CCleaner does need a bit of care to stop it removing the good things. But you can save the registry before cleaning. And plenty of warnings when removal is final.
I find it very useful to keep my rigs running in top condition.

Microsoft chimes in on “Windows cleaners”:

"There are many programs that purport to clean up and optimize system performance. While Microsoft does not endorse the use of these tools with Windows, we do not view them as unwanted or malicious.

Our criteria states that you must be able to expect that the actions a system maintenance or optimization program takes towards system performance are actually beneficial. Unwanted behaviors include displaying exaggerated claims about the system’s health.

Accordingly, to be compliant with our objective criteria, programs must provide details that back up their claims, so that you have the ability to assess what the program found and deems to be errors, and determine if you’d like to take the program’s recommended actions.

Microsoft security products, such as Windows Defender for Windows 10, will continue to classify optimization programs that do not provide these details as unwanted software, detect and remove them."

So, my question is, if the software doesn’t explain what it wants to do to your computer, or give you the option to accept or decline each action, why do you want it on your computer to begin with?

[QUOTE=BradWright;2768995][B][U]Microsoft chimes in on “Windows cleaners”:
[/U][/B]
"There are many programs that purport to clean up and optimize system performance. While Microsoft does not endorse the use of these tools with Windows, we do not view them as unwanted or malicious.

Our criteria states that you [B]must be able to expect that the actions a system maintenance or optimization program takes towards system performance are actually beneficial[/B]. Unwanted behaviors include displaying exaggerated claims about the system’s health.

Accordingly, [U]to be compliant with our objective criteria[/U], programs [B][U]must provide details that back up their claims, so that you have the ability to assess what the program found and deems to be errors, and determine if you’d like to take the program’s recommended actions[/U][/B].

Microsoft security products, such as Windows Defender for Windows 10, will continue to classify optimization [B][U]programs that do not provide these details[/U][/B] as unwanted software, detect and remove them."

So, my question is, if the software doesn’t explain what it wants to do to your computer, or give you the option to accept or decline each action, why do you want it on your computer to begin with?[/QUOTE]

[ul]
[li][B]Advertising: [/B]The software delivers out-of-context advertising that interferes with the quality of your computing experience, regardless of whether you consented to this behavior or not.[/li][/ul]

[B]Whaddyaknow, Microsoft is going to remove Windows 10, [/B]in light of the new ‘lock screen’ advertising, this must be the case :bigsmile:

On a serious note, you have a legitimate question and I have always wondered about the same… Still there seem to be a plethora of people out there not questioning anything, but take any and all claims accepting them as truth.

Originally posted by jurrabi

You know one software that deletes files even without your consent? Windows 10… Are they going to uninstall that too?

Seriously, I’m sure they have good intentions but, how in the world Microsoft feels with the right to DELETE files from MY PC that I put there, without even asking?

And then they wonder why people is not massively upgrading to window 10… 
Humm, amazing how people would rather Microsoft leave non compliant software installed and then QQ when it doesn’t work or breaks something.

So they are going to include the infamous PC Matic in this then? Software that is on Microsoft’s own official list of “Consumer security software providers” and always produces a load of weird and wonderful issues on your PC, and you can’t do anything unless you pay. Security software using similar scare tactics should also be included.

On the plus side it might push people like Auslogics into cleaning up their act a bit. It’s only the last couple of years they have been trying to scare users into buying Boostspeed by offering dodgy health reports in their other products.

UniBlue has been claiming to be a “Microsoft Gold Partner” for many years. As far as useless (if not downright malicious) optimizers go, UniBlue reigns supreme. Assuming UniBlue and Microsoft are indeed partners, UniBlue will amost certainly want Microsoft to make a special exception for them. IDK if Microsoft will be willing to grant any exception.

It will be quite interesting to see if UniBlue will still be able to go on making their garbage software or not. If Microsoft is serious about these fake programs, UniBlue may have to start offing programs people actually want to use.