Microsoft shows popup in Windows 10 to advertise its shopping extension to Chrome users

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Microsoft shows popup in Windows 10 to advertise its shopping extension to Chrome users[newsimage]http://www.myce.com/wp-content/images_posts/2017/01/myce-psa-featured-95x75.png[/newsimage]

Microsoft has started to advertise it’s Personal Shopping Assistant (PSA) extension for Chrome to Windows 10 users. Users of Microsoft’s latest operating system now receive a small notification above the Chrome icon stating, “Quickly compare prices online. Get Microsoft’s Personal Shopping Assistant for Chrome”.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-shows-popup-windows-10-advertise-shopping-extension-chrome-users-81250/](http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-shows-popup-windows-10-advertise-shopping-extension-chrome-users-81250/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Problem is they own the O/S so they can do what they like. That’s the reality of all this is. We the users only get licensed to use it. Also Chrome is all it’s hacked up to be secure when MS can get to it that easy.

coolcolors: Yes of course MS can do whatever they like with their OS. They also will get a bunch of bad press when they make poor choices (like this article!). Over time that bad press adds up.
And no, there was no “hacking” of Chrome to do this. The pop up isn’t really inside of Chrome. The popup is on the windows taskbar.

[QUOTE=rd23;2787144]coolcolors: Yes of course MS can do whatever they like with their OS. They also will get a bunch of bad press when they make poor choices (like this article!). Over time that bad press adds up.
And no, there was no “hacking” of Chrome to do this. The pop up isn’t really inside of Chrome. The popup is on the windows taskbar.[/QUOTE]
As far as I can see they are still in Business. Windows 10 is coming whether or not you like it. It’s still the Gold standard everyone wants to be even if it’s a love/hate relation with Windows.

Oh boy here we go again. I wonder if that ShutUp10 tool can somehow turn this off. It’s too bad all my programs won’t run on Linux or I’d move to that completely. Then none of this stuff would ever be an issue. I like Windows 10, but I don’t like the stuff Microsoft does with it. Such as the forced updates (which can break things), telemetry data collection that you cannot turn off (and Microsoft doesn’t tell you how they use it) or the downright intrusive EULA.

[QUOTE=stonesfan99;2787158]Oh boy here we go again. I wonder if that ShutUp10 tool can somehow turn this off. It’s too bad all my programs won’t run on Linux or I’d move to that completely. Then none of this stuff would ever be an issue. I like Windows 10, but I don’t like the stuff Microsoft does with it. Such as the forced updates (which can break things), telemetry data collection that you cannot turn off (and Microsoft doesn’t tell you how they use it) or the downright intrusive EULA.[/QUOTE]
You like to dream that but it will never happen. Linux for all it’s so called hype is far to spread out to make any real dent on Windows for that matter. Also as mention they own the Windows O/S we only get licensed to use it so what they do whether we like it or not is up to them not us. No one is beholden that you use Windows but we all know the world runs around Windows.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2787165]You like to dream that but it will never happen. Linux for all it’s so called hype is far to spread out to make any real dent on Windows for that matter. Also as mention they own the Windows O/S we only get licensed to use it so what they do whether we like it or not is up to them not us. No one is beholden that you use Windows but we all know the world runs around Windows.[/QUOTE]

Yes you are right. For all the benefits of Linux, it still cannot do everything Windows can. It just gets irritating how Windows adds on all this unnecessary stuff like this advertising in Chrome, and there is no way for most users to opt-out or easily block it.

[QUOTE=stonesfan99;2787167]Yes you are right. For all the benefits of Linux, it still cannot do everything Windows can. It just gets irritating how Windows adds on all this unnecessary stuff like this advertising in Chrome, and there is no way for most users to opt-out or easily block it.[/QUOTE]
Put there way where this is a will there will be a way that just how it is. I use hosts edit to block telemetry and adware site but what you do will be what you do. I don’t use Chrome so I don’t get that junkware ad from Microsoft but then again they could do the same for all browser so no one will be immune from it either. This is probably just the start.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2787168]Put there way where this is a will there will be a way that just how it is. I use hosts edit to block telemetry and adware site but what you do will be what you do. I don’t use Chrome so I don’t get that junkware ad from Microsoft but then again they could do the same for all browser so no one will be immune from it either. This is probably just the start.[/QUOTE]

Hmm maybe it’s time to move to Firefox.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2787165]You like to dream that but it will never happen. Linux for all it’s so called hype is far to spread out to make any real dent on Windows for that matter. Also as mention they own the Windows O/S we only get licensed to use it so what they do whether we like it or not is up to them not us. No one is beholden that you use Windows but we all know the world runs around Windows.[/QUOTE]

Truth be known… The only reasons we tolerate windows is because the plethora of software. So easy to configure with support from vendors. Linux will never reach that point. Very few people are willing to jump through hoops to use Linux as the end all OS. So… Until that day that will never come. Widows (cough) is the only solution. If Linux would support my Sound my audio card I would use it 50/50. However, I have zero multi channel support. At my age, I am not going through hoopties to get there. I would be more than willing to pay for an OS that could replace Windows.

Unix-> Amiga DOS/OS - DOS xxx-Windows 3.X. Now the horror story Windows 10. I am not a happy camper

[QUOTE=stonesfan99;2787169]Hmm maybe it’s time to move to Firefox.[/QUOTE]Done that already only using Edge IE11 and FF50.

[QUOTE=jeffreyp;2787180]Truth be known… The only reasons we tolerate windows is because the plethora of software. So easy to configure with support from vendors. Linux will never reach that point. Very few people are willing to jump through hoops to use Linux as the end all OS. So… Until that day that will never come. Widows (cough) is the only solution. If Linux would support my Sound my audio card I would use it 50/50. However, I have zero multi channel support. At my age, I am not going through hoopties to get there. I would be more than willing to pay for an OS that could replace Windows.

Unix-> Amiga DOS/OS - DOS xxx-Windows 3.X. Now the horror story Windows 10. I am not a happy camper[/QUOTE]So far truth be told that is why Windows has staying power it’s just one O/S from the start til now. Linux been infighting so much that there is no real consensus of a competitor to Windows O/S until they stop doing that nothing will change.

This stuff is so easy to turn off. Very similar to how you turn off notifications on a smartphone. Which are arguably much more evasive with notifications unless you take action. This is the press trying to make a small thing way too big. And, no, there is no reason for MS to stop this. Just go to Settings, System, Notifications & actions, turn anything off you won’t want to hear from. Done. Easy.