Microsoft showing full-screen, personalised advertisements on Windows 10 lockscreen

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Microsoft showing full-screen, personalised advertisements on Windows 10 lockscreen[newsimage]http://www.myce.com/wp-content/images_posts/2016/02/windows-lock-screen-spotlight-95x75.jpg[/newsimage]

Microsoft has started to show full screen advertisements on the Windows 10 lockscreen, part of the operating system’s Spotlight feature. Users report they were presented with an ad for Square Enix’s Rise of the Tomb Raider that’s available in the Windows Store since last month.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/78695-78695/](http://www.myce.com/news/78695-78695/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

These ads are personalised because according to Microsoft’s Joe Belfiore the company is “able … to understand what your use of the PC is” and is able to tailor ads based on that.

According to Xercus at club.myce.com, Microsoft is unable to understand shit. :bigsmile:

Holy crap, I wonder what lockscreen elderly people will get presented - commercials concerning knitted fabric? GET REAL! :Z

And you thought Windows 10 was really free? Silly people!

[QUOTE=pcarey;2768974]And you thought Windows 10 was really free? Silly people![/QUOTE]

Windows 10 never was free, never will be, this view is a misconception of the facts. I hear this from time to time, but for the record:

1. Was the license for Windows 7 or 8.1 free? No.
  2. If you do not have a license for Windows 7 or 8.1, can you download Windows 10, install it and use it for free? No.

So how can you say Windows 10 is free?

Wouldn’t want to use your PC for Adult Entertainment and not tell anybody else…
Seriously though if you are presented ads based on PC use then doesn’t that answer the telemerty issue…

Another reason to go back to windows 7 or 8.1. :wink:

Or don’t use a lockscreen…

I would imagine this only works if you use your microsoft account as your windows account (then your always logged in, so it can track what you do).  I imagine people who setup win10 with offline profiles might not get this?

My wife’s lappie with 10 on it uses a local login, no adverts yet.

I think maybe you are wrong about this, not sure though, but check this out:

Above, I have Picture chosen of course and you can see a preview of my lock-screen. If you look at the selections available in the dropdown menu as shown above, I think selecting ‘Windows Spotlight’ will give you the advertisements…

Now, it is all down to how much information you leak to Microsoft, and here it does not show any advertisements at all as no information at all is getting to Microsoft and no information is allowed in… Then again, I do not use Windows Store, Windows Update, Office online templates and graphics and so on. It all comes down to what you value, security and privacy or convenience.

:flower:

Thanks Xercus, I’ve already chosen a nice piccie for the lock screen. Maybe that’s why there are no adverts.

[QUOTE=philamber;2769022]Another reason to go back to windows 7 or 8.1. ;)[/QUOTE]

This is also a misconception of the facts… The Telemetry shit is backported and so no matter what OS, Windows 7, 8, 8.1 or 10. You will have to actively do something to stop or get rid of it and for the casual user that means? For the rest of us techies, it is just a question of what we must do to stop it or get rid of it :slight_smile:
It may be a fact that this particular bullshit feature is not available on Windows 7 (I do not know), but that is hardly the point.

You are not very much better off using Windows 7 if you use Windows Update… That alone gives MS loads of information… Then there are the other Microsoft ‘services’ (have you checked the communication done by SVCHost? Services? System? Explorer? others?)…

2 cents, I know… They are true cents though, no fakes :stuck_out_tongue:

I have stopped all I can in 7 but at least if I have to send stuff to M$ I can enjoy using the O/S. After all I did pay a lot of money for it.
I’m collecting a few bits and pieces together at the moment to build a dedicated Linux rig and once I get used to that for online work, my M$ stuff will be used and updated off line. Windows 10 can go bury it’s self.

[QUOTE=voxsmart;2769057]I have stopped all I can in 7 but at least if I have to send stuff to M$ I can enjoy using the O/S. After all I did pay a lot of money for it.
I’m collecting a few bits and pieces together at the moment to build a dedicated Linux rig and once I get used to that for online work, my M$ stuff will be used and updated off line. Windows 10 can go bury it’s self.[/QUOTE]

Now… That is a solution for once, one I welcome - very much so… It does not [U][B]HAVE TO[/B][/U] read Micro$haft aka Macro$hift or AppleCore :wink: :clap:

Windows 7 Ultimate + Windows Loader = AWESOME!! Just sayin’. :iagree: