Microsoft Security Essentials will be terminated for Windows XP

We’ve just posted the following news: Microsoft Security Essentials will be terminated for Windows XP[newsimage]http://static.myce.com/images_posts/newsitem_small.jpg[/newsimage]
[quote][/quote]
Read the full article here: http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-security-essentials-will-be-terminated-for-windows-xp-70092/

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I don’t have MSE on anything including my computer with XP Pro .
Right now it uses Avast,MBAM, & SpywareBlaster .
I rarely have this computer online except for doing software updates .
I usually even keep it unplugged from the router.
However I would use it online if both the main desktop & laptop were down .
So far that hasn’t happened.

I had a lappy and a desktop still on XP when I heard this several months ago. Both are now on 7 since Nov.

It doesn’t perform well enough anyway and may even do more harm than good by lulling people into a false sense of security.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Wombler;2715951]It doesn’t perform well enough anyway and may even do more harm than good by lulling people into a false sense of security.

[B]Wombler[/B][/QUOTE]

MSE for Windows 7x64 SP1 has worked fine for me and it free and updates Windows so far and haven’t had any problems or slowdowns using it. XP was going away anyway so it would be logical to stop creating a XP version of MSE that’s not rocket science. Alot would depend if their system is to old then it would tax their system but then again without hardware specs anything can be fast or slow hearsay. I doubt is performs any worse then the other A/V programs out there and seem to not tax my system without popping up ads or asking to buy their premium system that to me is a turn off to even buy their software and bloat is also a problem that will cause more harm then it helps.

Great… most of the computers at my workplace use XP /MSE. I’m not quite sure what they will do with thoses PC’s after April. I’m hoping they’ll use this as an oppertunity to switch to free OS’s, but I doubt that will happen.

I guess I’ll be pushing them as hard as I can to switch to another A/V program. Comodo seems to get goot test results on Matousec’s independent “Proactive Security Challenge” tests.

I use it on win7 when I can’t afford to get Kaspersky and it’s worked fine so far for me. Using it right now and gave up on XP as soon as I saw a beta of 7 running. It has caught a few things trying to sneak in and I’ve used other software on occasion to double check and so far so good, nothing is perfect though.

[QUOTE=Dartman;2716094]I use it on win7 when I can’t afford to get Kaspersky and it’s worked fine so far for me. Using it right now and gave up on XP as soon as I saw a beta of 7 running. It has caught a few things trying to sneak in and I’ve used other software on occasion to double check and so far so good, nothing is perfect though.[/QUOTE]

Nothing is fool proof if the user click on everything they see or open files they don’t know the protection isn’t going to work. Like I said before make a password protected Admin and standard user on Vista, W7 and W8 so the standard user can’t just willingly install programs without a Red flag warning you need Admin privileges to install this program or run this program. That is a very simple think to do but population users don’t take time to learn this very simple trick…to save them $$$$ when taking it to the shop to clean out the infections…

Matousec’s testing is basically “leaktest”.

Bitdefender, a first-rate Antivirus (generally top at AV-test) scrapes a 50% on Matousec test 1) and a 30% fail on test 2.

PS. It’s funny how Comodo has ALWAYS done well at Matousec… Bitdefender is ALWAYS top at AV-TEST. Not saying any test is untrue, but if you set the test profile, you can choose to play to one product’s strengths, while punishing another’s weakness by several similar tests.

Another thing to watch, some free ones do allow commercial use, others explicitly prohibit, and some just don’t say…

Comodo - 100% - specifies free for both personal and commercial
Immunet - also specified
Nano - take care, described as BETA and "no restriction"
Unthreat - EULA unclear, but confirmation received

Further down that list, the others are only free for nonprofit