Microsoft’s Windows Phone is a disaster, market share drops below 1%

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Microsoft’s Windows Phone is a disaster, market share drops below 1%[newsimage]http://www.myce.com/wp-content/images_posts/2016/08/windows-10-mobile-95x75.jpg[/newsimage]

The global market share of Microsoft’s Windows Phone operating system has dropped below the 1%. In the second quarter of 2015 the market share of the mobile OS was 2.5% and it has now dropped to 0.6%.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/microsofts-windows-phone-disaster-market-share-drops-1-80264/](http://www.myce.com/news/microsofts-windows-phone-disaster-market-share-drops-1-80264/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I have a hard time understanding how MS can continually screw up their foray into the mobile phone market. I had a Windows Phone a while ago and at the time thought they had a good base to be more of a player in this market. They are uniquely positioned to tie together the desktop OS to the mobile and tablet OS. They could literally make the mobile phone the only computer many people would ever need by utilizing docking station etc. My biggest complaint with the Windows Phone I had was a lack of apps which caused a lack of functionality.

MS constantly takes the consumer for a fool when it comes to making hardware. They priced their TOL handsets at surface tablet prices, and only have MAYBE 20% of the apps available in the android or IOS appsphere…? Insane moves…
Notice as you scale up from their burner $30 phones, popularity and demand exponentially drops off… take a guess WHY???
Because the specs and available apps are just not up to snuff compared with what’s already on the market and MS keeps having to play catch-up to
android and ios innovations instead of building their own brand up. at least with killing off nokia’s involvement and spewing it onto htc, they limit their liability for the hardware if it ends up in landfills like so many of those ancient atari cartridges.Â

Anrdoid 7 will have true multitasking capability and the specs to back it up, which could spell the end of Microsoft and further threaten the PC marketplace with handsets getting 2.5ghz 8 core processors and 4gb+ of ram & dedicated graphics chips & memory.

Why am I not surprised… :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=alisonalivia3;2779846]I experience considerable difficulties how MS can persistently botch their raid into the cellular telephone market. I had a Windows Phone a while prior and at the time thought they had a decent base to be even more a player in this business sector. They are remarkably situated to entwine the desktop OS to the portable and tablet OS. They could truly make the cell telephone the main PC numerous individuals would require by using docking station and so forth. My greatest protest with the Windows Phone I had was an absence of applications which brought on an absence of usefulness.[/QUOTE]

Is this some sort of weird plagiarism of my previous post? You have done the same thing with the four posts you have made on this site. You are also dredging up old threads all the way back to 2006. Quite a strange bird, you are.

The 950/950XL is a decent phone and the OS is fine but it’s the lack of apps and the quality of the apps compared to the iOS and Android equivalents that hold it back. Add the fact that MS doesn’t even care to market the phone anymore. They have a Surface phone in the works. Will be interesting to see how that goes.

Windows Phone has gone down the same sad path as PalmOS. One day PalmOS was here, then it just disappeared, and was never seen again. It seems likely Windows Mobile will go down the same path.

I feel like the the lesson of the 1980s is this: big tech companies have a lot of trouble conquering markets run by manufacturers of small devices. Once Digital Equipment Corporation reigned supreme, even inventing the very machine that Unix was originally developed for. Now, Unix-like systems are run on machines built by every name brand except DEC. Kids today probably have no idea who DEC even is. Likewise, IBM tried hard to take the micro-computer market by storm, but essentially threw the towel in, selling off their PC division to Lenovo (I believe they did this around 2004 or 2005).

I always find the ‘lack of apps’ an interesting argument.

How many apps do you ever need or use?

Time for a little research. This site http://www.statista.com/statistics/276623/number-of-apps-available-in-leading-app-stores/ tells us that there are 2,000,000 apps in the Apple Store and 2,200,000 apps in the Google store.

To make the argument that all of those extra apps create an advantage that constitutes a game changer we would have to assume that a users have the ability to look through them all and choose those that are the best for them. Have any of you ever thought about this?

Let us say that, to give them a fair go you might spend 5 minutes looking at and evaluating each app. In reality you might need longer than that but let’s go with 5 minutes. To do that you would need to spend 6,944 days, without stopping or sleeping, just for the Apple store. That is 19 years. Think about that for a minute. Google’s would take 7,638 days or nearly 21 years. Do the math. 2,000,000/12 to find each hour and then the result of that divided by 24 to get the number of continuous days. Divide that by 365 to approximate the number of years. It is clear that no one is going to do that, in fact nobody could do it in their lifetime, so the argument that having more apps is better only works up to the point where it is possible for anyone to happily check out the apps for their personal use.

This site, http://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-now-has-over-500000-apps-its-windows-phone-and-windows-stores, tells us that Microsoft now has over 500,000 apps in it’s store and they would take you 1736 sleepless days, or 4 years and 9 months, to go through them using the above criteria.

So please, that argument no longer means anything at all. You might be able to argue that Apple and Google have better apps but that is completely in the eye of the beholder as it is subject to personal opinion in most cases however, I do agree that there are a couple that I would like to see on Windows phones even though I can, and do, live without them.Â

My daughter is an absolute iSnob who lives on her iPhone and she would only use about 20 apps (a guess) all up. Of the apps that I see her use 3 I know are not available on the Windows platform the last time I checked and at least that many, probably more, are Microsoft programmes anyway.

So can we finally drop that demonstrably baseless argument?

Following your argument to the extremes, it means we would only need a small amount of applications to choose from to get the job done which is true only in theory.

The number of apps available is a good argument to demonstrate why say Windows is the most popular desktop platform even though you have vast availability of software available on other platforms to get the job done. Still people flock to windows as their desktop OS. First because of the freedom of choice for applications, later because they have become accustomed to the way of working. In addition comes word to mouth and influence from friends of course.

If I break down your numbers from their massive amounts, there are about four times more apps available in both other stores. To try them all is hardly any argument in this as far as I can see or in other words, I don’t really think the argument is entirely baseless as you suggest.

I don’t need a million apps.

What I do need is apps that fulfill certain needs, and if those apps are not available for a particular platform (Windows Phone), then that platform is not interesting to me.

Some apps that I “need” or want are not available for Windows Phone, and then it doesn’t matter if there are half a million other irrelevant (to me) apps available.

The argument about app availability is very real. It is not directly related to the total number of apps available, but indirectly there’s a strong correlation.

My mother-in-law has a windows phone. She’s happy with it, because she does not need a lot of apps.

In total i only know about two people who have a windows phone.

I wonder if they’ll ever get so cheap it might be worth to hack one or something :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2780298]I wonder if they’ll ever get so cheap it might be worth to hack one or something :)[/QUOTE]

…or just use one as a small tablet without a sim card. They have very nice cameras.

What I was saying was that ‘the number off apps’ is not the right argument. The argument should be about the quality of apps or the usefulness of apps, the number of apps has become redundant.
The argument becomes more realistic once you drop the ‘numbers’ criteria because there is not really any difference in the ability to compare and evaluate apps whether their available numbers are 500000 or 1000000. It is, in fact, a stupid argument.
The only real measure is usefulness or desirability and it is obvious that Android and Apple have got the lead on that one and, surprisingly, with Microsoft helping their cause by releasing their productivity software for those platforms.
What I am saying is that we shouldn’t be saying things like ‘The iPhone is better than the Windows phone because it has 200 Fart apps and the Windows phone only has 20.’ We should be saying 'The iPhone is better than the Windows phone because it has better Fart apps.'Â Joke aside, that is more realistic.
Probably the most interesting thing that Apple and Google have done with their smartphones is change the way we evaluate what is a good/desirable app.
Prior to iPads, iPhones and Android devices ‘apps’ were programmes for productivity and then there were games, which were still programmes but were not really classed as applications, they were an entirely different genre. Since the iMachines and Android invasion there are things like ‘Fart Apps’ that will go into the count as an equal with say a Photoshop App that actually does something useful. We now count any app/game as an equivalent with any other app, productive or otherwise. This method might suit Apple and Android because of their basic paucity of productivity titles but it has totally changes the way we look at the digital world.
These days an eight year old with a smart phone is counted as an equivalent to a businessman with an elaborate computer system? Should that be the case??? Again, that system suits the Android and iOS providers but it seems a little out of kilter to me. One is a serious computer user and the other???
I was recently at an eighteen year olds birthday party and we, the adults that were there, noticed that things had gone quiet. When we checked we found them all sitting around in a room, not a word being spoken, ‘texting’ each other? I remember thinking 'Here am I, a computer software developer, in a room with about 20 apparently ‘brain dead’ kids (8 of those were nieces and nephews, one was my daughter) which means that under the current system the world would evaluate this room as holding 21 equal computer users?? To quote Jeff Foxworthy, 'That ain’t right?'
Anyway, I digress, We should be talking about the quality of apps, not the available number which means absolutely nothing if the quality is not there.

I found all the apps I need for my android devices, most of them free and many built in. I sure don’t want to start over with a new platform. I use my tablet for checking mail and surfing, maybe playing solitaire.
If I want to do something serious I wake up my i7 980 tower that spends most of its time sleeping.
If they want to get in the market they better have great quality free or cheap apps or nobody will adopt them to unless they give them away free.