Microsoft reveals screenshot with start-menu in Windows 8.1 update

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Microsoft reveals screenshot with start-menu in Windows 8.1 update[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2014/04/myce-windows8.1-start-menu-95x75.jpg[/newsimage]
[quote][/quote]
Read the full article here: http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-reveals-screenshot-with-start-menu-in-windows-8-1-update-71039

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

That’s actually a pretty good looking start menu. This should finally shut the mouths of the critics once and for all.

Yeah, no. Yes, they listened to their screaming user base and put the Start Menu back in, but they just had to stubbornly and arrogantly put their Metro crap on the menu. Two steps forward, one step back, with a sharp stick shoved in their users’ eyes. (And that ugly-as-sin flat UI is still stinking up the place, too.) No, I’ll still be rocking Windows 7 until I absolutely can’t do it any longer. Microsoft can take their arrogance and shove it someplace dark, warm, moist, and smelly.

I’ve heard on the grapevine that the update will roll out on Tuesday the 8th of April.

The update already has been released to MSDN subscribers and GA will be available on the 8th for the Gnereal public Via windows update.

I have it installed on my Surface RT with no problems as well as a clean install on my main rig.

A close relative has Windows 8. I continue to hate using it, but I’ll have to keep an eye out for this update. Maybe I’ll find it less frustrating after this update is installed.
Interesting that they’re adding a start menu on the same day that they officially drop XP support. I guess they’re hoping this will bring us over.

If it were only possible to keep the classic user interface, then Win Vista/7/8 wouldn’t annoy me nearly as much. I assume other behaviors that I dislike could maybe be hacked out with nLite, disabling of services etc. not that I’d enjoy having to mess with all that.

I’m going to be sticking with XP for the foreseeable future, and trying a desktop linux install on the side. The WinXP security stuff doesn’t bother me, I’ve run outdated OS installs many times for various reasons on different machines.
The only thing I really worry about is all other software developers becoming hostile to XP, which I expect will happen pretty quickly. When that gets to be a major problem I’ll be forced to move on, but I tend to use outdated apps anyway.

I had assumed my next stop would be Windows 7, but with this start menu addition, maybe Windows 8 (or 9, by the time I upgrade) will become tolerable.
Metro and all that social/news media linkup stuff would have to be destroyed, though.

[QUOTE=ILLP;2724490]The update already has been released to MSDN subscribers and GA will be available on the 8th for the Gnereal public Via windows update.

I have it installed on my Surface RT with no problems as well as a clean install on my main rig.[/QUOTE]
Did you get the Surface Pro 11 or just the basic Surface? I have a BestBuy gift card and want to get, I might have to go into the hospital for a week or so and need to be connected.:sad:The Surface Pro 11 has Office and a great USB 3 port for an External DVD rewriter.