Microsoft reveals more details on Windows 10 Consumer Preview

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Microsoft reveals more details on Windows 10 Consumer Preview[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2015/01/myce-windows-10-satya-nadella-95x75.jpg[/newsimage]

Today Microsoft is revealing more details on Windows 10 Consumer Preview. We’ll be covering the event live here.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-reveals-more-details-on-windows-10-consumer-preview-74375/](http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-reveals-more-details-on-windows-10-consumer-preview-74375/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

When they say seemless upgrade, does that mean it will be available through Windows Update for Windows 7 64 bit users, and will there be a 64bit and 32 bit version, plus different versions like Pro and Ultimate?

For me, the most important aspect of Windows 10 is, it’s to be a free upgrade from Win7.Win8/8.1.

That, and it will properly support NVMe natively.

The seamless upgrade from Windows 7 will be interesting as I’m fairly sure it’s not possible to upgrade straight from Windows 7 to 8.1 without upgrading to 8 first.

When Windows 10 is launched, I plan starting from a clean Windows installation on my laptop if it lets me. With the Windows 8 upgrade, it seemed to be hit and miss for people. In my case, it installed and activated fine as I installed it the same time I replaced the OEM HDD with an SSD so the drive was totally blank. But then again, it probably could tell from the BIOS SLIC that the laptop already had Windows 7. As my desktop is dual boot, I’ll likely upgrade the barely used Windows 8 partition.

On first boot/setup, will it still give you an administrator account by default?

XP used to warn you about administrator accounts when installing. But Windows 8/8.1 tells you nothing when you run a new machine for the first time.

When will this madness end? (Probably not with Windows 10. :rolleyes:)

You need an administrator account on first setup or else how are you going to make modifications? If you’re just concerned about a warning then yes it should be made known that you’re running an administrator account on first setup.

By annual subscription only.

By annual subscription only.

[QUOTE=Dee;2745945]For me, the most important aspect of Windows 10 is, it’s to be a free upgrade from Win7.Win8/8.1.

That, and it will properly support NVMe natively.[/QUOTE]

Here’s the catch

Windows 10 will be a free upgrade for Windows 7 (only for the first year after RTM) and Windows 8(.1) users

Year only…it reads…so miss it and miss the free…I rather buy a full version Win10 and go from there. I seen upgrades where it doesn’t go well and you end up with more trouble then you tried to fix. Also on those upgrade you have to make sure your O/S is stable and no problems before upgrading that can be a monkey wrench in the works.

EDIT Update: More reading makes me understand that the 1 Year thing is a time window to upgrade Windows from 7, 8, 8.1 to 10 for free. After that you’ll have to pay for a full license. The real question is whether they are going to a low price model or not.

I wonder what will happen if you claim your free upgrade, then need to reinstall/reactivate after 1 year?

Call me suspicious, but one of these days they’ll probably start charging per activation (and not just Microsoft). Anything to maximise revenue per customer.

more native tools & apps across platforms is where google (and to a lesser extent Apple) is heading… although, I think it’s not lost upon MS that interacting with a HDTV/ULTRA HDTV over wired or wireless interface will be an important factor going forward. albeit… I don’t think people really want 10 devices… they may want 2-4 at most…
two being low power & high power home devices… and the others being mobile tablets or smart phones.

You can extrapolate that your entertainment will one day be programmable by voice command and not be a burden… I foresee subscription to cloud storage and access to broadband to be the new evolution they are targeting. Since it will be increasingly difficult to contain licensing for copyright in the age of the internet… getting convenient access to whatever you want will be where the money is flowing…

No doubt this is WHY google want into the ISP business… Microsoft should be thinking the same thing too… and doing something about it… not playing catch-up 5, 7, 15 years later…