Microsoft restarts Windows 10 October 2018 Update roll-out after deleted files concerns

Originally published at: https://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-restarts-windows-10-october-2018-update-roll-out-after-deleted-files-concerns-85460/

Microsoft has restarted the roll-out of the Windows 10 October 2018 Update after it caused issues with some users. The update introduces additional privacy settings and security improvements. The first version that was released, on the 2nd of October, caused files to disappear for a limited number of users. Therefore, Microsoft decided to temporarily stop the distribution of the update.

I downloaded the update onto a USB pen drive and decided to do a clean Win 10 install, as the PC was badly needing a fresh start.

The update works well for me with some nice new features. It’s just a pity I forgot my login details for some sites and email accounts.
Thankfully Domi was able sort out my email login details for me at Myce…

Thats what happens when you turn 30 Dee, you start to forget things LOLOLOL

I have a I7-7700K system with 16GB ram and a 6TB raid 1 combination along with a 500GB PCI-E X4 booting arrangement. In total I have three mechanical disks and a M.2. I can not get Windows 10, version 1809 to load on this machine. It gets all the way to the end of the installation and says that it will reboot shortly and then I get a pop-up that says the installation failed with no error codes or anything. I have installed windows 10, version 1809 on two other systems with no issues, but neither of those systems had a raid array or a M.2 boot disk.

I finally figured out why Windows 10, 64 Bit, Version 1809 would not install on my machine. I did not have a EFI partition on my machine. Instead I had a system reserved partition, then a local volume, and finally a C partition. So what I did was create an image of my machine using Acronis True Image. Next I did a clean install of Windows 10, 64 Bit Version 1803 which is the current version running on my machine. When I did the clean install Windows 10 created a Recovery partition, a EFI partition, and a partition for Drive C. Once I had a clean install of version 1803 I booted up on a True Image recovery disk and restored only the C partition leaving the Recovery and EFI exactly like Windows 10 created them. After confirming that my system was stable and working properly I started the update process for Windows 10, 64 Bit, Version 1809. It installed fine and retained all of my files and folders. All’s well that ends well as they say.