Microsoft removes start button in Windows 8

vbimport

Say goodbye to the Windows start button. Microsoft has gotten rid of it from the latest build of Windows 8.

Hitting the Web over the weekend, screenshots of the new Windows 8 build display the “super bar,” but without the start button orb on the left, according to The Verge. Build 8220 will be the final version released before the beta, now known as the Consumer Preview, debuts before the end of the month.

Link: http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57371830-75/microsoft-removes-start-button-in-windows-8/?tag=fd2010AuxPromo.0

:cool::cool:

I for one use a desktop windows 7 x64 ult and laptop with 7 as well and have no need for a tablet or smart currently. So W8 isn’t in my future plans anytime soon. As well as those upgrades will have hidden cost something that isn’t factored in when one upgrades to a new O/S with such changes as W8. W7 is the future for most coming aboard right now and without some real financial advantages to boost my bottom line that kinda switch will be a expensive one.

You know that the consumer versions of W7 (that includes Ultimate) runs out of support in 2015? That means, no more security updates. :frowning:

Michael

I will definitely switch to a Mac.

[QUOTE=mciahel;2621851]You know that the consumer versions of W7 (that includes Ultimate) runs out of support in 2015? That means, no more security updates. :frowning:

Michael[/QUOTE] Support has just been extended for consumer versions, so that they now all have the same support lifecycle:

http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?LN=en&x=13&y=7&c2=14019

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2623604]Support has just been extended for consumer versions, so that they now all have the same support lifecycle:

http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?LN=en&x=13&y=7&c2=14019[/QUOTE]
Very nice:) They also extended the support for Vista consumer versions which had run out of support in two months.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2623645]Very nice:) They also extended the support for [B]Vista consumer[/B] versions which had run out of support in two months.

Michael[/QUOTE]
:clap:
Thanks Nice to know, I like reading about all the new stuff even if i cant afford it right now :flower:

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2623604]Support has just been extended for consumer versions, so that they now all have the same support lifecycle:

http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?LN=en&x=13&y=7&c2=14019[/QUOTE]

Interesting link there, thanks for that. :flower:

[B]Wombler[/B]

[B]

Microsoft removes start button in Windows 8
[/B]
I’ll have to get me a Mac then. I hear there’s an app for that…:wink:

Windows 8 is not on my want list. Don’t see anything in it that even remotely interests me. Trying to make an OS operate like a smart phone just isn’t my cup of tea. I’m not one of those guys who walks (or drives) around with my head buried in a cellphone like a zombie that you see everywhere you look. The zombies may want Windows 8, I don’t. Window 7 suits my needs just fine right now and doesn’t have the identity problems Windows 8 already has. As of now I’ll be skipping this one like I skipped Vista.

[QUOTE=Mike89;2631680]Windows 8 is not on my want list. Don’t see anything in it that even remotely interests me. Trying to make an OS operate like a smart phone just isn’t my cup of tea. I’m not one of those guys who walks (or drives) around with my head buried in a cellphone like a zombie that you see everywhere you look. The zombies may want Windows 8, I don’t. Window 7 suits my needs just fine right now and doesn’t have the identity problems Windows 8 already has. As of now I’ll be skipping this one like I skipped Vista.[/QUOTE]

Right with you on that I waited through vista and keep XP running until I gave W7 a try and like its feature and how it still worked for my older hardware rather then force me to upgrade when I didn’t want to. That is the main problem with Vista those not wanting upgrade had to upgrade or replace hardware to use it and that is another factor one has to take in consideration when switching to a new O/S that doesn’t like older hardware like Vista and caused more problems then it was suppose to help with. So for me Windows7x64 and x86 sp1 is here to stay I might go with windowX now that would be a better evolution of windows O/S that would poke at mac O/S X now M$ can say were WindowsX O/S… lol… I like that. They should instead go for a O/S based on 7 and improve it and call it WindowsX…

I want to say that “Windows 8 is going to be the New Vista”, but I think that would be an gross insult to Vista, unless you are trying to run Vista on a P3-800 with 512 of RAM.

AD

Windows 8 has lots of under-the-hood performance improvements, especially in regards to to current/recent multi-core CPU’s, even compared to windows 7.

I can only assume that Microsoft aren’t trying to ostracize their current customer base … but the metro interface is horrible.

The metro interface on desktop PC’s is an insult to intelligence … even the intelligence of single cell amoeba’s :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=debro;2632211]Windows 8 has lots of under-the-hood performance improvements, especially in regards to to current/recent multi-core CPU’s, even compared to windows 7.

I can only assume that Microsoft aren’t trying to ostracize their current customer base … but the metro interface is horrible.

The metro interface on desktop PC’s is an insult to intelligence … even the intelligence of single cell amoeba’s :p[/QUOTE]

without a SWITCH to turn off, correction “PERMANANTLY TURN OFF” the metro user interface windows 8 is going to be a gigantic flop.

Hell I don’t even like the Vista/windows7 “Catagory view” in control panel
and now they bring the same thing to the desktop?

atleast “catagory view” could be turned off…

AD