Microsoft releases Windows 8.1 Preview with Start Tip

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news Microsoft releases Windows 8.1 Preview with Start Tip
[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2013/06/myce-windows8.1-search-95x75.png[/newsimage]

Microsoft released a preview version of Windows 8.1 yesterday.

Read the full article here:[http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-releases-windows-8-1-preview-with-start-tip-67664/](http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-releases-windows-8-1-preview-with-start-tip-67664/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

The Start Tip isn’t what I was looking for. I dont’ think they really conceded.

For me to buy windows 8 I would like to see:

1. Return of the Start Menu
  2. The ability to disable metro (and boot right into desktop)
  3. Aero

Yes I realize I can pay for 3rd party software to bring back these things, but what’s the point of upgrading the OS if I’m going to pay money to make it work more like the last one.

[QUOTE=Zod;2691518]The Start Tip isn’t what I was looking for. I dont’ think they really conceded.

3. Aero

Yes I realize I can pay for 3rd party software to bring back these things, but what’s the point of upgrading the OS if I’m going to pay money to make it work more like the last one.[/QUOTE]

One shouldn’t even have to pay more for something that should be included in the O/S install and one can customize it for their setup. That is not Rocket Science. And their shouldn’t have to buy or use be 3rd party software just to get a Start Menu aka W7 or Desktop W7. This is why this release will be another flop…

If you don’t want to pay for a start menu return program, get ClassicShell. It works well for this purpose.

I prefer StartisBack, but there is no accounting for taste. And its only $3 for two licenses.

The underlying operating system in Win 8 is solid, and the 8.1 offers a few improvements, especially in the search behavior.

Tailoring the operating system to fit your own tastes has been something that users have taken advantage of in Windows for a couple of decades now, and I don’t see any differences now. Third party programs have been, and still are available for earlier versions of Windows to adjust the way they work. Using third party programs to get the start menu back is just more of the same…Classic Shell has been doing this for a long time now, adjusting the start menu to look like earlier versions of Windows.

The only other thing you have to do to get Win 8 to work like Win 7 is make certain that none of the new “apps” are default to open any type of file. Once you have this adjusted, and have your start menu program working the way you like, you will be hard pressed to see any differences between Win 7 and Win 8. Win 8 is slightly faster in my experience, and has some built in advantages (ie USB 3, better file copy controls, faster bootup, storage spaces, file history, secure boot, etc.).

I found it to be faster also Kerry, but I have 4 rigs and to update all of them to Windows 8 when I spent a fortune on Windows 7 is upsetting to say the least, I have 1 Windows 8 Pro license that I got for 39.99 when they first came out but that’s it.:wink:

Another disappointing effort from the out of touch (no pun intended) Micro$oft.
I am convinced there are no Windows developers over 50 years of age or maybe that should be 30, employed at Microdumb.
People are crying out for the return of the Start Menu and Aero, me included and I am over 50, but alas the ear muffs are on at Microdeaf.
Great product, poor delivery = poor sales, give people what peole want and sales will soar, I would almost guarantee that

Sorry forgot to add at least you can boot directly to the Desktop!
The colour schemes are still awful, its like looking at a device for Kindergarden children
mmmmmm reminds me of Microyoung employees…

Speed here is a relative term as such most mass computer users are doing is email, chat, IM or word documents and part that improves is the hardware CPU and GPU speed is what would matter most to Gamers and Video and Audio editing. Get a faster CPU/GPU and both would most likely do the same in W7 or W8. We can generate number all day long but would you really see the difference? Probably not in the overall scheme of things.

Nothing works in 8.1 including system restore, and hotkeys. Its a disaster.:doh:

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2691690]Speed here is a relative term as such most mass computer users are doing is email, chat, IM or word documents and part that improves is the hardware CPU and GPU speed is what would matter most to Gamers and Video and Audio editing. Get a faster CPU/GPU and both would most likely do the same in W7 or W8. We can generate number all day long but would you really see the difference? Probably not in the overall scheme of things.[/QUOTE]

People have looked at this already. This is just one example of testing. And I believe the slight advantage for Win 7 in 3D applications in these tests is due to immature Win 8 video drivers back in January.

My personal start up times using an SSD are much faster than what are shown in these tests.

@Alan Sorry to hear you’re having issues…but it is a preview after all, not a finished product. I don’t think I want to try 8.1 myself. Too much trouble to set up a VM and test it when most of their improvements were in the Modern/Metro side of things.

[QUOTE=Zod;2691518]The Start Tip isn’t what I was looking for. I dont’ think they really conceded.

3. Aero

Yes I realize I can pay for 3rd party software to bring back these things, but what’s the point of upgrading the OS if I’m going to pay money to make it work more like the last one.[/QUOTE]

It seems like the only way Microsoft will listen is if it’s faced with competition, i.e. another very successful OS take-off that has a native start menu.

For example, I highly doubt it would have relaxed the Xbox One DRM & used game restrictions had Sony released its rival console with similar restrictions.

Wait a minute…didn’t MS in the first beta W8 versions have a working model with everything working correctly…along with start menu?

If that is true, why is 8.1 screwed-up?
Sorry, I am sure I am uninformed but logic…I keep forgetting I no longer live
in a world of deductive reasoning…

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2691700]http://usabilitygeek.com/windows-8-vs-windows-7-speed-and-performance-testing/

People have looked at this already. This is just one example of testing. And I believe the slight advantage for Win 7 in 3D applications in these tests is due to immature Win 8 video drivers back in January.

My personal start up times using an SSD are much faster than what are shown in these tests.

@Alan Sorry to hear you’re having issues…but it is a preview after all, not a finished product. I don’t think I want to try 8.1 myself. Too much trouble to set up a VM and test it when most of their improvements were in the Modern/Metro side of things.[/QUOTE]

I only have Win8Pro on my test build where I test all new products and I have Win7 Pro on all other builds in my house. So its gone already and secure erased. I will wait for the next iteration.:wink: