Microsoft releases Internet Explorer 9 - streamlined & quicker

vbimport

Microsoft releases Internet Explorer 9 - streamlined & quicker.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2011/03/60iMUX.jpg[/newsimage]Microsoft released the ninth iteration of its ubiquitous web browser Internet Explorer yesterday after a months-long beta process. The new software boasts a host of improvements, including speedier browsing, enhanced HTML 5 support and increased security features. The company is no doubt well aware of the impact Opera, Firefox and Chrome had on the browsing landscape; those rowdy new kids took over the block. Think of IE9, then, as Microsoft's attempt to fit in. But that's not to say it's so simple. And some early criticism proves the old codger still has a little work to do.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-releases-internet-explorer-9-streamlined-quicker-41403/](http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-releases-internet-explorer-9-streamlined-quicker-41403/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Lots of luck if you want to run a proven and stable OS like XP Pro.
Microsoft won’t even let you download Explorer 9 unless you’re running
Vista or 7. (Tried 7 for a good 15 minutes before formatting the drive it was on)
Anybody know of a good browser that isn’t grossly overbloated with “Pretty”,
has decent bookmark handling (Opera sucks at this) and will actually block
Pop-ups (not a chance with Firefox)?
Linux is looking better all the time.

[QUOTE=olddancer;2579981]
… bookmark handling (Opera sucks at this)

Linux is looking better all the time.[/QUOTE]

I use Opera. What “sucks” about its bookmark handling?

Why would using linux make a difference?

@olddancer try Chrome?

I just downloaded IE9 but it requires a reboot so I won’t be running it unitil I can do that, probably later today.

[QUOTE=olddancer;2579981]Lots of luck if you want to run a proven and stable OS like XP Pro.
Microsoft won’t even let you download Explorer 9 unless you’re running
Vista or 7. (Tried 7 for a good 15 minutes before formatting the drive it was on)
Anybody know of a good browser that isn’t grossly overbloated with “Pretty”,
has decent bookmark handling (Opera sucks at this) and will actually block
Pop-ups (not a chance with Firefox)?
Linux is looking better all the time.[/QUOTE]

So you are telling us that you spent the typical hour, to install it only to delete it after ~15min of “use”?
An average installation takes between 45min and an hour to comlete.
and even then you have to install ALL you applications before you can do more than choose what desktop wallpaper to use…

Do me a personal favor, don’t start writing reviews.

Unless you want to write reviews of buggy whips for an automitive magizine…
that’ll fit perfectly with your mindset…

Frankly I’ll try IE9, but only after I’ve made a fresh clone of the drive that I have my OS on, why? because I never do anything I can’t back out of if it doesn’t go well

And I kinda like IE8 (certainly better than IE7)

I used Chrome for a day or two and then tried to import my favorites into it and it TRASHED them during the import process and I wound up reverting to a pre-Chrome clone of my OS drive and never re-installed it,

I won’t try Safari, WHY? well… since I’ve never crossed paths with any apple software I liked…

I liked XP myself, but I’m running applications that I NEED to run that simply won’t run under XP.

I still have half a dozen XP systems I administer (I’ve been gradually been phasing them out for over a year) and while most of them could be rolled up to Vista I’d rather replace them utright with superior hardware running Win7 because that way I’ve only gotta do it… Once…
and listen to all the complaints Once
and deal with the teething issues… (you already know what I’m going to say) ONCE!.

Hell I still administer ONE Win2k system that I can’t get rid of because it’s a dedicated system to run one piece of machinery that’s gotta run until december then the machine and the computer that runs it go out as scrap 05DEC11
(unless the machine dies before then)

I never objected to Vista really… on a computer that wasn’t designed to run Windows NT/2000…

Vista is kinda like the Kit car “Ferrari” built on an old corvette chassis
Windows 7 IS the “Ferrari”

XP was nice, but it’s getting a little long in the tooth…

I rolled up to Win7 on all the machines that will run it well.
But I’m still responsible for Vista machines and several XP machines that
will be sterile orphans soon enough… when website designers drop support for IE8… I give it 18months 24months MAX before you can’t even surf ebay or watch Youtube videos with IE8

I am the very LAST guy anyone will accuse of being an early adopter, but I don’t want to be the guy trying to clmb mountains in caveman gear while everyone else is wearing GoreTex and Polar fleece

Have you noticed the new Harddrives that Seagate is introducing that WILL NOT RUN under a 32-bit Operating system? and no XP-x64 won;t work either, Vista or 7 x64 are REQUIRED…

there are already drives that only work in a “semi-crippled” mode under XP

HARDWARE is evolving too…

evolve…

I’m trying to convince myself to give IE9 a try, but I’ve been so disappointed by all prior versions that it feels like a waste of time. I use Firefox the majority of the time, and Chrome sometimes for quick stuff. I’m sure I’ll try IE9 eventually, but it’s not something I was all that thrilled about at launch. The more positive things I hear, however, the more likely I’ll be to finally download and test it.

[QUOTE=AllanDeGroot;2580022]So you are telling us that you spent the typical hour, to install it only to delete it after ~15min of “use”?
and even then you have to install ALL you applications before you can do more than choose what desktop wallpaper to use…

Didn’t waste a second installing 7. It was preinstalled on the Laptop I bought.

Yes XP is getting a bit long in the tooth, but it works and equally important is that it works MY way. I don’t want “Pretty” I want reliable and something that will actually give me a file list “with” extenders.

As for Safari, won’t go near a Mac without a Crucifix, Wooden Stake, and a handfull of Silver Bullets.

Don’t mind IE7 except for it’s inability to work in my lifetime with Java.
IE8 lasted about the same 15 minutes as Win 7.

IE9 is a definite improvement over IE8 from my brief testing. It’s header is a lot slimmer, which is useful for Netbook users where every extra bit of screen is useful.

Speedwise, based on a handful of sites I’ve tried, it’s pretty quick and comparable to Chrome. On far away websites (e.g cross-Atlantic), IE9 as well as Chrome both load up pages noticeably quicker than Firefox and IE8. I can’t really comment on stability due to IE9 just being launched and me using it just on occasion, however, based on my brief usage so far, it’s pretty snappy and has given no compatibility or stability issue so far.

Opera is also a pretty quick browser and also about as quick as Chrome & IE9 based on a handful of page loading tests I tried, both with the cache cleared and also cached, however, I’ve compatibility issues with the odd CMS system I use. Safari was the slowest, taking nearly twice as long to load up pages, especially when cached where pages take about as long as with the cache cleared, at least for the websites I’ve tested with it against the other browsers.

I do agree that Microsoft has made a big mistake not making it available to Windows XP users. That is certainly not going to help them in boosting its browser market share! As the competing browsers continue to improve, I’m sure IE8 users using XP will gradually start migrating to other browsers, especially those that feel left behind with Microsoft’s decision no to offer XP support.

I’m quite happy with Firefox and Opera (when I use it, which is rarely), but the siren call of new stuff is hard to ignore.

[QUOTE=olddancer;2580037][QUOTE=AllanDeGroot;2580022]So you are telling us that you spent the typical hour, to install it only to delete it after ~15min of “use”?

Didn’t waste a second installing 7. It was preinstalled on the Laptop I bought.

Yes XP is getting a bit long in the tooth, but it works and equally important is that it works MY way. I don’t want “Pretty” I want reliable and something that will actually give me a file list “with” extenders.

As for Safari, won’t go near a Mac without a Crucifix, Wooden Stake, and a handfull of Silver Bullets.

Don’t mind IE7 except for it’s inability to work in my lifetime with Java.
IE8 lasted about the same 15 minutes as Win 7.[/QUOTE]

I think we are in perfect agreement about Mac stuff, I don’t think there is a MAC out there that wouldn’t be imporved by boiling it overnight in holywater and garlic… and then treating it to a wooden stake

As for Vista
Frankly when I got my current notebook a Dell 1525 it was preinstalled with Vista-Basic and I tried, I really TRIED to run XP on it, but there were “issues” with running XP on it… specifically getting a driver that would work with the internal network card. I was reliably informed that there was NO exsisting driver that would make that WiFi card work under XP… after I had tried around FIFTY different ones that wouldn’t work…

Oh, I could have switched wireless cards, but I’ve yet to find a card that’ll run 802.11n reliably under XP, not that there are that many mini-pci cards to choose from…

Not that it matters at all now if someone gave me a wheelbarrow full of "the right"cards… as I’m down to… Seven? XP systems…
(presuming you don’t count the XP install that I could swap into my desktop in abot 40 seconds) or the three Fujutsu tablets that are special cases…

The point I’m trying to get across to people is that hardware itself is moving away from XP

And a quasi friend who has over-imbibed the Linux Kool-ade and insisted it could run on anythng had a spare laptop for nearly six months and could make the wifi work under linux, and a laptop without wifi is too big to make a good paperweight and is too fragile to make a descent wheelchock

AD

Installed IE9…I keep IE as a third backup behind Firefox and Chrome. So far I haven’t liked it much, even after many attempts to adjust the settings.

It will sit and molder unused on my computer unless I happen to hit a site that only accepts IE.

[QUOTE=AllanDeGroot;2580058]
And a quasi friend who has over-imbibed the Linux Kool-ade and insisted it could run on anythng had a spare laptop for nearly six months and could make the wifi work under linux, and a laptop without wifi is too big to make a good paperweight and is too fragile to make a descent wheelchock

AD[/QUOTE]

Good lord I garbled that paragraph, he had one of MY spare laptops for six months and had no success making the WiFi work.

Don’t know what was wrong or not going right but he hasn’t tried to
prostheletyze(sp?) linux since.

And frankly I regard that as like loaning an annoying friend $50 and not hearing from him for a year… it was money well spent:)

"I do agree that Microsoft has made a big mistake not making it available to Windows XP users. "
This is just the standard Microsoft scheme to get people to upgrade to 7.
Unfortunately, Firefox has become as slow as IE and works almost as bad, but it has the distinction of not working with some of my online banking sites that I have to use. Most of my accounts are in the US and I live in Italy so I can’t just go to the local branch and make transfers. US banks are way behind most of the industrial world in banking and bank security. I suspect it’s a function of there is no reason to upgrade when the FDIC covers losses.

I have been using windows 7 since it came out and I’m not totally sold on it yet. I had to format and re-ghost my computer about 5 months ago and since I installed “Service Pack 1” it is starting to have issues. The first thing I noticed is I started having to approve every program I run, even though I didn’t before, and some software is not working anymore, DVDFab dies at 50% everytime after working fine since I installed 7 on this computer. Another problem I have is the security is a major pain that is not easy to fix. There are shortcuts (show up with every install) all over the place that even as the administrator I can’t access, change or delete. And there are a lot of weird and annoying things that don’t make sense, don;t have an explination and haven;t been fixed. Almost every time I use a flash drive or external hard drive on my XP machine, I get an error when I put it back on the 7 machine. When I installed 7 the line was NTFS for 7 and XP are the same, but apperantly they are a little different. Windows 7 always wants to “Scan and Fix” the drives, but no information. I’m not a big fan of letting Windows “Scan and fix” anything unless I have to. I tend to lose files that way.

I think 7 is a step in the right direction, but there is still to much crap left over from DOS for no reason, for example it appears that it still reserves drives A & B for floppy drives that are no longer sold on computers and haven’t been for some time.

I’ve heard two other complaints that during the Service pack intallation that “User Account Control” turned itself back on.

this is easily turned back off again.

go to “control panel”, then “user accounts”.
then “Make changes to user accounts”

the bottom item is make changes to user account control settings"

UNcheck the box, a reboot will be required.

after that you will probably need to adjust the setting in the security panel
because it’ll keep warning you that user account control is turned off.

AD

AD, thanks for the suggestion, but there are no check boxes at all in user accounts with the exception of the account type selection.:frowning:

Windows 7 Professional???

Sorry, I was dealing with a similar problem for a user today that was working with vista

In Win7 you set the slide control in that “change user account control settings” to a lower notch.
typically the bottom one

If I could figuire out how to add my usual applications to the “permitted list” I’d leave it turned on.

I kinda hate the “mommy knows best” settings.
the constant “are you sure?” permission blocks are a great annoyance.

AD

That is one of the most annoying “features” of 7, it’s either annoy the crap out of you or truurn the security off completely. I can’t imagine what they were thinking when they created this mess. Apperantly there is a way to fix it, but none of the methods I have found work. Perhaps they patch the hole every time someone posts a work around.

In Vista you could turn off JUST User Account Control seperately…

AD

IE9 is a million times better than IE8. I still find myself using Chrome more though.

For those still hating on UAC… you obviously haven’t spent enough time with Windows 7. It’s not nearly as annoying as you make it out to be. And for those of you still running a 9 year old OS… its time for an upgrade folks.

[QUOTE=Im a PC;2580201]IE9 is a million times better than IE8. I still find myself using Chrome more though.

For those still hating on UAC… you obviously haven’t spent enough time with Windows 7. It’s not nearly as annoying as you make it out to be. And for those of you still running a 9 year old OS… its time for an upgrade folks.[/QUOTE]

I spend at least 75 hours a week working with Windows 7. UAC wasn’t so annoying until I installed Service pack 1 and it started reacting to everything except Microsoft programs. Most of the software I use is not from Microsoft,so yeah, it’s really annoying.

Service pack 1 has also made some changes I haven’t found how to fix, that limit my ability to move files and folders as well, even as the administrator. I shouldn’t have to fix my computer when I install an update!