Microsoft releases free Security Essentials 2.0

vbimport

I’m not on a windows machine right now so don’t know if it’s available through the Update from within MSE

The update button in MSE doesn’t seem to update it to 2.XXX. Just the definitions. You can get to the 2.XXX upgrade by clicking ‘Help’ but seems you have to download it and install it. Took about 5 minutes total on this ancient Athlon laptop (XP, Service pack 2).

[ul]
[li]Help[/li][li]Upgrade Microsoft Security Essentials…[/li][li]You are already using the latest version of Microsoft Security Essentials.[/li][/ul]

[ul]
[li]Help[/li][li]About Microsoft Security Essentials[/li][li]Microsoft Security Essentials Version: 1.0.2498.0[/li][/ul]

had to go to the MSSE homepage and manually download the upgrade.

Windows XP Home SP3

edit//

startup now calls it Microsoft Security Client

Just be aware that if you open MSE and clich the “help” or “?” that when the download page appears you MUST close MSE in the other tab/window of the installation will fail.

And further there is an option in “settings” to limit CPU useage during a schedueled system scan.

Lastly, on the four XP systems I’'ve upgraded so far a restart is not required, but on the one Vista system I’ve done a restart Is required and it will prompt you to do so.

AD

Thanks for that info AllanDeGroot
Very good to know

I also determined that on the ONE xp system in the house that runs FF that FF would
not run the installer, it downloaded it fine, but never gave the option to “run” rather than “save”

I had to rin IE from the start menu to get the new MSE installed.

AD

Worked fine with Chrome (had to download then run, but that’s the way I have Chrome set up).

Just updated two pc’s from MSE 1 to MSE 2. (Uninstall, reinstall). Works flawlessly.

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2566031]Just updated two pc’s from MSE 1 to MSE 2. (Uninstall, reinstall). Works flawlessly.[/QUOTE]Same here, it works well.

you don’t need to delete MSE1.0

you just need to have the application CLOSED while the installer is running.

You’ll find the same issue with many other applications while you are installing an updated version, that the installer will crash/lock/fail if the older version of the software is up and running.

AD

you just need to have the application CLOSED while the installer is running.

When I upgraded MSE closed itself before installing MSE2.

Just out of curiosity what OS?

I’ve only got two to Vista systems and didn’t even try updating with anything open,
the XP systems fail during install if I don’t manually close the application.

AD

XP and Win 7 home deluxe.