Microsoft recent SSL patch causes issues – update system remains seriously flawed

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Microsoft recent SSL patch causes issues – update system remains seriously flawed[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2012/09/new-microsoft-logo.jpg[/newsimage]

An important update Microsoft released last Tuesday fixing a critical vulnerability in Windows can cause issues on some occasions.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-recent-ssl-patch-causes-issues-update-system-remains-seriously-flawed-73489](http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-recent-ssl-patch-causes-issues-update-system-remains-seriously-flawed-73489)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

19 November 2014

Today I installed the latest and greatest ‘Critical Updates’ on five machines; three Win7 and two Win8.1. The 8.1 installations were trashed to the point a System Restore wouldn’t save the installation. I had to use a System Image Backup to restore both machines. Running Windows Update automatically is asking for trouble. Microsoft is doing what a lot of would-be Anti-Microsoft Hackers can’t . . . Microsoft is taking Microsoft down!

[QUOTE=NatRay;2741288]19 November 2014

Today I installed the latest and greatest ‘Critical Updates’ on five machines; three Win7 and two Win8.1. The 8.1 installations were trashed to the point a System Restore wouldn’t save the installation. I had to use a System Image Backup to restore both machines. Running Windows Update automatically is asking for trouble. Microsoft is doing what a lot of would-be Anti-Microsoft Hackers can’t . . . Microsoft is taking Microsoft down![/QUOTE]

True but I think most of us are guilty of being lazy and turning automatic updates on.

Oh and welcome to the forums BTW. :flower:

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Wombler;2741310]True but I think most of us are guilty of being lazy and turning automatic updates on.

Oh and welcome to the forums BTW. :flower:

[B]Wombler[/B][/QUOTE]

That’s the reality Windows Update is off by default unless you turn it on or install MSE then it turns it to Auto update.

As for the update I got a different one…I have to post that one later but not the same one as show here…

I found this update installed on both my Vista desktop & my W7 laptop.
I uninstalled on both with no adverse effects so far .
Both were under the number (2992611) . I think they had the standard 'KB" in front.
I have & keep auto update off. I even run Windows Update “disabled” in Services except when I use it.
So I installed these updates myself but before any warning came out.
Thanks for the warning .

I have a W7 32 bit OS I’m working on doing the updates on my desktop.
It will eventually be replacing my Vista OS for the main OS on my desktop.
I still have a lot of updating & other software installing to go before it will be ready.

Thanks Wombler: Looking forward to learning and sharing . . .

[QUOTE=Wombler;2741310]True but I think most of us are guilty of being lazy and turning automatic updates on.[/QUOTE] Not me. I’ve been burned by too many updates in the past (not just Microsoft and not just on Windows), so I never ever ever enable automatic updates on anything except anti-virus definitions. Also I generally don’t let anti-virus programs remove viruses automatically unless that particular anti-virus program is known to have no false positives.

Sometimes automatic updates cannot be turned off, however, and that leads to baaaad things happening. (IOBit SmartDefrag turning into malware and Readers Hub on Android removing it’s only relevant functionality).

This patch fubar perfectly explains why I don’t update Microsoft Windows automatically and why I don’t immediately install updates, even though the sky supposedly will fall if I don’t due to all the evil hackers on the net.

I don’t let stuff install automatically; I only do it this way so I can know if things break how long it’s been and where I can start to troubleshoot. If I happen to check for updates on the same day as a new (potentially flawed) update is pushed, well… fingers crossed they are okay. I’ve only gotten severely messed up once or twice when updates required pre-boot registry edits, knock on wood.

This is the update I got today…Thursday November 19, 2014

Windows6.1-KB3011780-x64

Not the

Windows6.1-KB2992611-x64.msu

I got that update in November 12, 2014 already this is way behind on my updates…

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2741369]This patch fubar perfectly explains why I don’t update Microsoft Windows automatically and why I don’t immediately install updates, even though the sky supposedly will fall if I don’t due to all the evil hackers on the net.[/QUOTE]

Well said DrageMaster . . .

[QUOTE=NatRay;2741288]Today I installed the latest and greatest ‘Critical Updates’ on five machines; three Win7 and two Win8.1. The 8.1 installations were trashed to the point a System Restore wouldn’t save the installation . . . Microsoft is taking Microsoft down![/QUOTE]

Reference: (KB3011780) released 18 November 2014 as the rogue update. I did not have a problem with (KB2992611).

[QUOTE=NatRay;2741404]Reference: (KB3011780) released 18 November 2014 as the rogue update. I did not have a problem with (KB2992611).[/QUOTE]

Belay my last, cancel my first . . . Security Update KB3011780 is not the rogue update I reported it to be. The culprit is the Optional Update released the same day (KB3000850). KB3011780 has been restored on both systems without incident. I apologize for any inconvenience my premature report may have caused . . .