Microsoft readies Windows 8 Consumer Preview for February 29 debut

vbimport

Microsoft readies Windows 8 Consumer Preview for February 29 debut.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2012/02/jWsG2B.jpg[/newsimage]Microsoft isn't shy when it comes to discussing Windows 8. The Redmond software giant has been documenting the OS' development for the past six months and pushed a preview version into developers' eager little hands in September. A new "consumer preview" (read: fancy word for beta) of Windows 8 is slated for February 29 - an apropos day for the company to prove the platform isn't just a step above Windows 7, but a leap over it.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-readies-windows-8-consumer-preview-version-for-february-debut-58922/](http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-readies-windows-8-consumer-preview-version-for-february-debut-58922/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

That way developers are forced to be without the windows 8 os for 3 weeks, just to remind them that their free copy is only temporary.

Unless I can disable the Metro UI without a 3rd party app I.m not interested in it.

two things: 1st up-- windows 7’s record of security flaws surpassed that of just about any other operating system out there (past or present) which could leave consumers wary of windows 8.

2nd, microsoft is trying to force motherboard makers to support ONLY windows 8 and NO other operating system by locking down the BIOS & chipsets to a triad of microsoft, intel and amd hardware & software. this means consumers will have to choose only those companies to buy their products and that could leave part of the market making other choices in the future. namely, choosing hardware vendors that support desktop android operating systems.

[QUOTE=paulw2;2623229]Unless I can disable the Metro UI without a 3rd party app I.m not interested in it.[/QUOTE] Agreed.

In the 90’s Microsoft made a mistake by trying to take the interface (Windows) developed for big-screened desktop computers and use it on their small-screened PDAs. This was a bad idea and it wasn’t successful.

Now Microsoft is trying to take the interface (Metro) developed for phones and tablets with small screens and force it onto desktop/laptop computers. This is also a bad idea and it won’t be successful.

[QUOTE=paulw2;2623229]Unless I can disable the Metro UI without a 3rd party app I.m not interested in it.[/QUOTE]It can be but Metro is the default. The bigger problem is the new WinRT that developers have to deal with.[QUOTE=tmc8080;2623238]2nd, microsoft is trying to force motherboard makers to support ONLY windows 8 and NO other operating system by locking down the BIOS & chipsets to a triad of microsoft, intel and amd hardware & software[/QUOTE]So far the restrictions only apply to ARM-based systems. They’re inherently incompatible with x86 (Intel and AMD) software so it’s less of a problem for Windows users. They’ll need new apps regardless. It’s more of a problem for non-mobile ARM systems like small servers and web-oriented desktops.

I have done a little checking and I have not been able to find a monitor (for enthusiast gaming and 3d viewing) and does touch capable as well.unfortunately, it has begun with having to have certain operating systems and hardware. for example Electronic arts Battlefield 3 will play only in direct x 11 and windows 7. I agree that they have people in a position that they will have to upgrade to newer hardware or look at other alternatives like gaming consoles and apple/Linux.

The developer preview, once the horrible METRO interface was disabled, was much the same as windows 7 … maybe with a few different backgrounds, and a few window borders looked especially see-thru.

Much of the same-ol same-ol, nothing to see here.