Microsoft pushes forward with Windows 7, other software

I just posted the article Microsoft pushes forward with Windows 7, other software.

Microsoft began 2011 with high expectations surrounding its Windows 7 OS, but the company faces mounting pressure to continue expansion into new industries.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-pushes-forward-with-windows-7-other-software-38873/](http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-pushes-forward-with-windows-7-other-software-38873/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I seen there windows on mobile phones and its function is way better then Iphone or Android. Looks alot better and has more functions oriented toward connections to your computer and internet. I thought it wouldn’t work but after testing and seeing it in action I can say this Windows phone will give Iphone and Android a run for their money… :flower:

If M$ needs more cash they’ll just re-brand and add more eye candy to Win7 and call it Windows 8 and the fanbois will rush out and buy the latest and greatest…

[QUOTE=paulw2;2570098]If M$ needs more cash they’ll just re-brand and add more eye candy to Win7 and call it Windows 8 and the fanbois will rush out and buy the latest and greatest…[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately the statement is wrong again. No one has to be a fanbois but the fact is most if not all computers use M$ O/S. So to be able to connect you will have to use M$ or those other O/S but the majority is M$ and people know to use and work with M$ O/S. So would one stop the bashing and get a reality check M$ is just used more. Your like a mac or linux user that can seem to let the M$ bashing stop yet your willing to use it everyday. All companies re-brand their software and hardware and makes tweaks and change and call it new so M$ isn’t the only company that does it. Take Mac O/S they release a new O/S so if your statement is true they it means Mac O/S is doing the same thing. So be carefully cause your own statement is a double edge sword as well. And the same could be said about Mac O/S as well. What is working for M$ is the hardware is way less cheaper then Mac and there are more software out there for Windows then Mac. So that is the biggest reason M$ will have the upper hand for years to come and in the future as well.

Are they really calling this software “POSReady 7”?

I have been a very satisfied Windows 7 Ultimate user for over a year, but I would have been quite hesitant to use anything called “POS.”

Windows phone is another MS flop. MS should give up on their failed phone experiments and embrace the Apple mobile platforms. Exploit their success and focus on making software for them, there’s tons of money to be made.

coolcolors, you might eat our words sooner than you think.

I have been a Windows user since '95 but iPad has made my Windows home PC irrelevant. Its been delegated for downloads and syncing & backing up my iPad. Good software for iPad is dirt cheap or often free and there are 100’s of thousands of apps for it in less than a year.

The new Mac app store is very likely going to change the situation drastically as far as% of Windows vs. Mac software available.

[QUOTE=ivid;2570192]coolcolors, you might eat our words sooner than you think.

I have been a Windows user since '95 but iPad has made my Windows home PC irrelevant. Its been delegated for downloads and syncing & backing up my iPad. Good software for iPad is dirt cheap or often free and there are 100’s of thousands of apps for it in less than a year.

The new Mac app store is very likely going to change the situation drastically as far as% of Windows vs. Mac software available.[/QUOTE]

Really so tell me what O/S currently holds more sway right now?? Windows and Windows 7. And good PC software is dirt cheap as well and can be used across multiple PC platforms not just one proprietary Platform. Remember the world “PROPRIETARY” that means Apple will do and over price those it should bring into the market out and push them to the Windows Platform. That is the difference in how Windows beats Ipad in every category it has made it accessible and inexpesive for the masses to use and connect together and that is something the Ipad won’t at anytime do for the mass be cheap. Ipad will and never take over Windows and how you came to that conclusion is dubious at best-as well as comparing apples and oranges-the windows computer can do more then a ipad on a windows laptop or tablet already. Yeah if you buy those software for me when I need them from the secret Swiss account then buy all means buy them for me cause I surely am not to go burn a hole in my wallet for software that does the same thing on PC and comes way cheaper then the same Mac software…that is the Fact. Same software- more expensive for Mac software doesn’t in my book justify any big gains for the Ipad or Mac anytime soon.

MAC people have been saying similar things for as long as I can remember, and I can remember a L-O-N-G time.

the first computer I worked with was a PDP-8M

In 1977 I learned how to write a program in basic that calculated square roots (I probably couldn’t do it now if you held a gun to my head) but in 1995 after not even hearing the word basic for a decade I sat down and wrote a program that correctly calculated the mass of a volume of air when heated via compressive heating in an automotive turbocharger and from that would calculate the efficiency of the turbocharger (relative to adiabitic temperature rise) from measure temperature and pressure measurements.
Suprising everyone (including… no [I]especially [/I]me) it WORKED perfectly the first time it was run.

So I’ve been around computers for a Long, long time…

There are a certain extremely vocal minority of people who have all sorts of nasty things to say about M$ products and M$ in general and attributing all sorts of nefarious motives to program features etc then finally predicting a MAC takover of the industry.

M$ hatred is a religeon. some are more fervent than others, but virtually all are guilty of repeatedly ignoring reality.

That is the most tactful way of saying “bullshit” that I can contrive while I sit here watching it snow trying to work
up enough ambition to make another pot of coffee.

I don’t attach emotion to any computer hardware or software.

If it works and works fast with a minimum of fuss I’m happy.

a MAC might work for me, but there are certain “annoyances” in the user interface which I am sure are there purely to make it “different” from M$, “different” isn’t necissarily “better”, simply “different”… and like most people I’d rather keep working with what I’ve got than leap onto the low part of the learning curve each and every time someone introduces something “new”.

Did you already guess that either of my two active cell phones are just “phones”?

As someone else said in a review of the ipad, if you are a content user it’s great!
if you are a content creator, or even one who interacts with content… not so much…

there is a reason why I’m typing this reply on my desktop instead of one of my three notebooks
or my Fujitsu tablet, The Fujitsu was an “iPad” (though requiring a stylus) before iPad was even a dream.

the ipad isn’t anything special, it’s just another tablet Tablets aren’t “new” that’s not to say it isn’t a superb tablet, it probably is, but it still suffers under the liitations that tablets suffer from and no volume of hyperbole is gonna change that.

AD

[QUOTE=DR_CJK;2570179]Are they really calling this software “POSReady 7”? [/quote]POS = “Point Of Sales”.
That’s the location in a brick-n-mortar shop where you pay your purchases. :smiley:

Michael

[QUOTE=paulw2;2570098]If M$ needs more cash they’ll just re-brand and add more eye candy to Win7 and call it Windows 8 and the fanbois will rush out and buy the latest and greatest…[/QUOTE]

Hey, it works for Apple. Mac owners think nothing of dropping $100 a year on a minor OS upgrade.

mciahel:

The abbreviation “POS” very often refers to something not uttered in as polite a society as we have here.
Nevertheless, thank you for your more “sanitized” version

[QUOTE=AllanDeGroot;2570200]MAC people have been saying similar things for as long as I can remember, and I can remember a L-O-N-G time.[/QUOTE]

No kidding the first time I saw a computer was Commodore and then Apple IIe and then finally a first mac. After that they switched to IBM PS/2. So I as well have been around a long time as well to see the rise and fall of computers and the coming of M$ from Dos to Windows platform to the singular most used O/S. And even just that by itself has a over the majority of users are PC users with some form of Windows O/S on them. I did my first program on PS/2 and it was called BasicA or something like that…:doh:man that was long time ago then went to C++ which was gotta say was way better and I could understand it more. :iagree: So just like you said AD they hype for so long one has to wonder if they say it so much they believe it to be true must be so hard to have one bubble burst right in front of them… :wink:

I still have my original GENUINE IBM XT computer, damn thing still works, as does my genuine IBM “AT”.

I remember changing switch settings on that Digital PDP-8M
anyone know the meaning of “7470” or “0400”?
(hint: its an octal reference to set 12 individual binary switches)

or remember what the prompt to “set WTM switch” was telling you to do? (hint: open reel tapes)

So when some Mac “true believer” says Mac or an iWhatever “is gonna take over” I laugh. it’s not a flattering laugh either.

IBM didn’t “win” either, infact by creating the clone market they created their own defeat, but they forever “cock blocked” Apple/mac from winning either. All the “me too” companies carry on the PC “fight”

It all makes a damned good example of a “pyric victory”.

but apple lost their chance long ago…

the world suddenly adopting esperanto (or Basque) as an international language is FAR more likely than ditching PC/M$ computers in favor of anything propriatary from apple.

AD.

This thread is pretty entertaining… I remember being in 8th grade and having a apple IIe, then I high school having a Tandy Radio Shack TRS-80, I had taken classes in BASIC, COBOL and PASCAL. Yes the good old days. I also remember wanting a C64. I used to play with them over a friend’s but never got one myself. Bottom line I truly appreciate and agree with your statements (coolcolors & AD). The iPad is a cluster of iCandy and is more novelty and than a deskop replacement as ivid stated, " I have been a Windows user since '95 but iPad has made my Windows home PC irrelevant." I think most would disagree with this statment. One of my friends got one for his wife thinking it would be a desktop replacement with the abilities of a small notebook computer but they quickly found out that’s not the case (they needed it for business). She then gave it back to her husband and he just uses it as an ebook reader and play Angry Birds.

[QUOTE=SciFer;2570487]She then gave it back to her husband and he just uses it as an ebook reader and play Angry Birds.[/QUOTE]

That’s the end result that Apple doesn’t want those whom bought it to know about or others out there to know…expensive Icandy that does very little but other then costing a leg and arm but never will be a computer as it isn’t a computer in any meaningful computing sense.