Microsoft proposes internet ban on virus infected PCs

vbimport

Microsoft proposes internet ban on virus infected PCs.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2010/10/cQD2Rb.jpg[/newsimage]A senior Microsoft executive has gone on the record this week suggesting that virus-infected computers should be banned from the internet until it is cleared.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-proposes-internet-ban-on-virus-infected-pcs-35196/](http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-proposes-internet-ban-on-virus-infected-pcs-35196/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

If they was to ban computers like that do you know how many computers that would be banned :eek:

and what about those who receives false-positive warnings from just software and even drivers during a scan :eek:

just can’t see something like that being put into place :disagree:

Nope, plus they may need internet access to fix the issue!

[QUOTE=RCM;2548732]Nope, plus they may need internet access to fix the issue![/QUOTE]

Yeah what would happen if a computer system for the state or government department got hit with something, which happens all the time :doh:

:eek: The Wall Street Stock Exchange :eek:

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2548741]Yeah what would happen if a computer system for the state or government department got hit with something, which happens all the time :doh:

:eek: The Wall Street Stock Exchange :eek:[/QUOTE]Do they really have such poorly administered and maintained computer systems :eek:

Michael

If Microsoft would put out a good operation program that was bug free then there would not be that many infected

Another risk of this type of system is abuse. For instance, if the Government controlled it, they could ban certain computers under the premise of being “virus-infected” even though they might not be…

Perhaps Microsoft wants to ban Mac and Linux infested PCs? :bigsmile:

Wouldn’t their efforts be better spent in sterilizing the virus sourcing computers (or the virus coders…)?

[QUOTE=mciahel;2548752]Do they really have such poorly administered and maintained computer systems :eek:

Michael[/QUOTE]

Well they shouldn’t have but I have read a few times where they had some issues with viruses and getting hacked into :eek:

[QUOTE=samlar;2548756]If Microsoft would put out a good operation program that was bug free then there would not be that many infected[/QUOTE]

There is no such thing as a bug free operating system whether it is Microsoft or any other manufacturer.

[B]SJ[/B]

All this would accomplish is making IE’s market share 25% instead of 50%.

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2548819]There is no such thing as a bug free operating system whether it is Microsoft or any other manufacturer.[/QUOTE]

Yet in spite of the bugs in other operating systems malware seems to be much more common with Windows. Either Microsoft’s bugs are more serious or Windows security has effectively only one layer, i.e. a crunchy shell and a soft chewey center. Microsoft software may be more common on the desktop but most of the servers on the Internet don’t use Windows and this includes MyCE.com (CentOS which is a Red Hat clone) so I don’t believe the popularity argument either. Microsoft is also almost non-existent in the mobile space where a massive number of Internet users are found. MS-DOS 6 had anti-virus included so it’s not like malware is a recent problem with Microsoft products. Users shouldn’t have to be experts in IT security just to use Facebook and not get pwn3d with a rootkit.

[QUOTE=RTV71;2548837]All this would accomplish is making IE’s market share 25% instead of 50%.

Yet in spite of the bugs in other operating systems [B]malware seems to be much more common with Windows.[/B] Either Microsoft’s bugs are more serious or Windows security has effectively only one layer, i.e. a crunchy shell and a soft chewey center. Microsoft software may be more common on the desktop but most of the servers on the Internet don’t use Windows and this includes MyCE.com (CentOS which is a Red Hat clone) so I don’t believe the popularity argument either. Microsoft is also almost non-existent in the mobile space where a massive number of Internet users are found. MS-DOS 6 had anti-virus included so it’s not like malware is a recent problem with Microsoft products. Users shouldn’t have to be experts in IT security just to use Facebook and not get pwn3d with a rootkit.[/QUOTE]

That may very well be true however in my ten years using Windows(on multiple rigs) I have never had a virus, malware or other known issues so it’s not the operating system itself but rather it depends on your security you have in place.

[B]SJ[/B]

Un F-ing believable !

MS deserves a collective black eye for saying something like that ! Its their freaking fault that Windows is such mess of an O/S and so vulnerable to viruses and attacks. Its an embarrassment how bad Windows is in this respect. Its a bloated pig of spaghetti coded crap, its just pathetic beyond belief.

How about fixing your O/S’s once and for all you blundering buffoons ?!?!

[QUOTE=ivid;2548865]Un F-ing believable !

MS deserves a collective black eye for saying something like that ! Its their freaking fault that Windows is such mess of an O/S and so vulnerable to viruses and attacks. Its an embarrassment how bad Windows is in this respect. Its a bloated pig of spaghetti coded crap, its just pathetic beyond belief.

How about fixing your O/S’s once and for all you blundering buffoons ?!?![/QUOTE]

Glad I’m running linux!

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2548819]There is no such thing as a bug free operating system whether it is Microsoft or any other manufacturer.

[B]SJ[/B][/QUOTE]

Yes but it could be better if they did not control the market

At first I was like great idea, but then like them started to think of the negatives.

I would presume the banning would not be if any virus was found, but only if your PC was working as a bot.

But then I thought malware makers use PC’s as Bots to Denial of Service attack other PC’s (shut down their network due to overloading their servers).

Wouldn’t they with this in place then just change tactics to find ways to infect that organisations PC’s and then just get them all shut down so this is effectively doing their work for them and easier.

[QUOTE=samlar;2548897]Yes but it could be better if they did not control the market[/QUOTE]

All about market shares now huh :rolleyes: no comment…

Have a nice weekend :flower:

[B]SJ[/B]

[QUOTE=ivid;2548865] Its their freaking fault that Windows is such mess of an O/S and so vulnerable to viruses and attacks. Its an embarrassment how bad Windows is in this respect.[/QUOTE]The problem is not Windows, it’s the user. %user% wants to run its computer logged in as “Administrator”. %user% wants to install expensive commercial software downloaded from some dubious torrent. and therefore, %user% does not want to install any security updates for the software it had installed. %user% does not want to think before it clicks.

I don’t have any mercy with these users complaining about malware they have allowed to get installed on their computers.

You [I][B]can[/B][/I] secure a Windows installation on a high level without any 3rd party software.

Michael

[QUOTE=samlar;2548756]If Microsoft would put out a good operation program that was bug free then there would not be that many infected[/QUOTE]

Well, how do you know that other O.S. (like Leopard, Chrome, Linux, etc) have less security risks? It is not what O.S. has the most security risks, it is what O.S. has the most users that will be attacked the most. Why risk an attack with an O.S. that only has a user base less than 4% of the market, when you can attack the most popular O.S. and target >70% of the user base and cause more damage.