Microsoft plans realistic avatars to encourage healthy weight

vbimport

I just posted the article Microsoft plans realistic avatars to encourage healthy weight.

Microsoft hopes to encourage physical activity among Xbox Live gamers by locking obese gamers out of game components until the company’s physical parameters are met.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-plans-realistic-avatars-to-encourage-healthy-weight-23907/](http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-plans-realistic-avatars-to-encourage-healthy-weight-23907/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I applaud Microsoft for taking gamer health into consideration, but this may end up being considered too intrusive. If a gamer is willing to purchase an Xbox 360, multiple game titles, and pay for an Xbox Live subscription, should they be forced to adhere to Microsoft’s health standards?
I don’t applaud it; the health-nazis are out of control on this one! :rolleyes:

If a gamer is willing to purchase an Xbox 360, multiple game titles, and pay for an Xbox Live subscription, should they be forced to adhere to Microsoft’s health standards?

• Purchase a Xbox 360: no license (well, the normal don’t copy our software stuff), just pay cash once

• Usage of Xbox Live on any Xbox 360: big huge license, pay monthly fee. Defy license -> get banned

Microsoft hopes to encourage physical activity among Xbox Live gamers by locking obese gamers out of game components until the company’s physical parameters are met.

Though this is a very scary license agreement addon, it’s just that. If you don’t want it, don’t accept it. I doubt people will agree to remove certain kinds of people to a global service.

My Wii gives out this “Why don’t you go outside for a while?” screen every 30 minutes of gaming regardless who’s playing. I hate it, but i can click it away without any other mandatory actions or waiting.

I think this needs some perspective. Is Microsoft really going to lock out a large amount of gaming functions for obese people? That is HIGHLY unlikely. What is more likely, is that Microsoft will use this technology for >>fitness based games<<, not on every single game out there. With that in mind, I think this is no big deal and just enhances the possibilities of gaming at home.