Microsoft pins Xbox 360 memory card ban on users

vbimport

Microsoft pins Xbox 360 memory card ban on users.

[newsimage]http://static.myce.com/images_posts/2010/01/IRO0Ox.jpg[/newsimage]One of the reasons Xbox 360 owners shouldn't be allowed to use unauthorized third-party memory cards is that users sign away their right to do so when purchasing the console, according to Microsoft.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-pins-xbox-360-memory-ban-on-users-25364/](http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-pins-xbox-360-memory-ban-on-users-25364/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

bam Another class action lawsuit.
When will companies realise it’s illegal to do this?

Wow . . . maybe if Microsoft’s products were a little cheaper folks would be more willing to buy them than the “off-brand” stuff.

Wow . . . maybe if Microsoft’s products were a little cheaper folks would be more willing to buy them than the “off-brand” stuff.

This is not only a problem with Microsoft products. Apple, Nintendo and many others have the same high prices.

It’s not the device per se, but the possibility of cheating that annoys them. MadCatz has made 3rd party crap for decades and they have never been banned.

The possibility of cheating? Aren’t these just standard cheat codes built into the games? Cheat codes for games have been around for decades. If the game developers didn’t want people using cheat codes, they wouldn’t build them into the games! Microsoft just wants a monopoly on memory cards so that they can charge exorbitant prices and gain high profits on the items.

If they didn’t want the device to work it should have been disabled since day 1. It wasn’t, MS dropped the ball and must pay the price.
MS should F right off. Really. If I had one of these and lost a save game that took me dozens of hours to achieve because MS is allowed disable my device in a later update, I would be F-ing FURIOUS with MS.

Here’s a clear picture of how it goes…

• I buy a device which IS ALLOWED TO WORK WITH 360.
  • I use XBOX Live.
  • MS decides to flip the switch on the device at their whim
  • I can’t use XBOX Live that I paid for until I update my console to the latest update
  • Updating my console breaks my device and loses dozens or even hundreds of hours worth of save games
  • I would be SOOOO freakin pissed …

Freakin MS A$$holes (and others) charge absurd prices for the amount of storage you get.

Here we have another example of a manufacturer trying to impose an illegal tying agreement. Someone should sue Microsoft under the anti-trust laws.

[QUOTE=josephwfrancis;2489797]Here we have another example of a manufacturer trying to impose an illegal tying agreement. Someone should sue Microsoft under the anti-trust laws.[/QUOTE] The entire European Government already has done that several times.

Strangest thing happened yesterday evening at my Xbox 360. When i opened up the new Zune video channel to watch some of my downloaded trailers i was surprised to see a new agreement contract (updated december 16 2009) i had to agree upon.

I started to read that agreement and it’s an amazingly LONG and tedious read. I can not help but think that absolutely nobody on this planet has any idea what they agree upon. I wonder if that isn’t forbidden by local laws here. I do remember that contracts or agreement have to be in plain understandable local language otherwise you can get out of it.

Back on topic: Its a shame they use their own wicked license agreement to keep 3rd party hardware developers out of the loop, but i doubt anything will happen. Perhaps all the people who bought such a device should participate in a class action suit or something?

I believe they have the right to tell a company they can not produce items for there device and if they MARKET them to the device they can be sued. With that said i believe MS should have to have it plain and simple saying some thing like Only officially seal MS products are supported and other devices can be deactivated with out notice. But this should be CLEARLY stated on the box and system on boot. But sense MS failed to do so they should have to release a update with this and any 3rd party device from before this time should be available for refund or be allowed to be used.

They should just add a program to check for a MS official digital fingerprint and if its not there it can not be used except for streaming etc so you can still plug in your Mp3 player etc

If they did that they could sue any one who puts a fake or copy of the fingerprint into there device to get around it.

But personally i think they should allow 3rd party hardware. And just detect to see if cheats are running which will then block all achievements until its reset. And a BAN (for life) if it is a cheat/hack for online play.

what’s the big deal, use a freaking hard drive. if you have a problem with the price, assemble your own, like i did.

[QUOTE=justnandbrtny;2494644]what’s the big deal, use a freaking hard drive. if you have a problem with the price, assemble your own, like i did.[/QUOTE] On an unmodified Xbox 360? I’m curious how you did that.