Microsoft pays retailers for selling Windows 8 PCs

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Microsoft pays retailers for selling Windows 8 PCs[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2013/03/myce-ativ-windows-rt.jpg[/newsimage]

Microsoft pays retailers $5 to $10 for every Windows 8 PC they sell.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-pays-retailers-for-selling-windows-8-pcs-67908/](http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-pays-retailers-for-selling-windows-8-pcs-67908/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

The company hopes to stimulate the sales of Windows 8 PCs this way.

For a company that talks about innovation and acceptance by the community this smacks in the face of reality. The O/S is by far the worst they could’ve created so far if they have to pay someone to sell a O/S that by itself would do it’s own selling points. I don’t recall W7 payments to retailers to sell the W7 so when will they get paid for selling W7?

they would need to pay $50 on top of a rebate for the machine before i wasted any of my hard earned bucks on this heap of crap!! Microsoft are, hopefully finished. they have held the public to ransom for ages with the prices charged for stuff and then what they wanted to do with the new xbox. if they want to continue, i think they need to have a rethink!!

Ah, good.
Perhaps retailers will start heavily discounting those hard to sell computers since they have W8…hopefully some of us can pick up a bargain.

Really though, I don’t see 5 to 10 dollars as much incentive for retailers to go all out.

If you go into a store for a PC it will these days be a windows PC. Unless you get a little computer store to build it it will have windows 8 on it.

Conclusion M$ are wasting their money

I would tell them to keep the money and send copies of Windows 7 to replace the debacle known as Windows 8. Then they would sell some PCs.

I disagree.
With the following features bring added in Windows 8.1:

• integrated tsrgetted desktop commercials
  • combination of desktop search and online search
  • user tracking

Users are wasting their privacy. Microsoft is not wasting money, they are being evil.

5-10 is pittance pay for them to make a profit maybe if they paid them that doesn’t amount to pocket change that would make any good reason for them to sell it. But since one has to pay for someone to sell their O/S that is reason enough to doubt it is good as they say it is. iOs doesn’t have to pay someone to buy it their own users buy or upgrade and don’t complain like what windoze is doing to their customer base. Rebates for buying the O/S that is different but paying a retailers whom bread/butter is selling computers as is doesn’t add up to much. If M$ cuts the fat from the top and paid the seller at least 100 or more per computer that would be more incentive for them to sell windoze 8 more. But then again M$ want’s all the profit for themselves…

Windows 7 is a great OS,no doubt about that…
But windows 8 is also fine.
However,people who run 7 have no reason to change or update.
It’s like with XP in the past,why going to Vista or even 7 when something works so welll.
But there’s a lot of people bashing 8 because of the app centre and the menu @ the right side,instead of @ the start button,but they forget to mention when they’re in the desktop mode,they’re almost running a twin os of windows 7… On some of my systems I run 7,on some 8 and they both work very well…

I would never consider purchasing any O/S if it forces advertisements upon my face. I remember in the early 2000’s, BS like this was often referred to as adware, and was avoided by users everywhere. What happened to this mentality? Now, most of the “free” apps on the Android market come bundled with ads, and I can’t see any end in sight. Now this same crap is appearing on the desktop!

Everyone, for the sake of your own sanity, do not buy any O/S that uses such anti-user strategies, (unless you know how to hack these annoyances out). If that means switching to something that’s free/open sourced, that’s even better!

I do hope that ReactOS reaches beta status soon, heaven knows we need it.

Recently, I downloaded the latest ReactOS, sort of disappointed it isn’t futher along than what it is.
Right now it is more or less a toy…

[QUOTE=roadworker;2692877]Windows 7 is a great OS,no doubt about that…
But windows 8 is also fine.
However,people who run 7 have no reason to change or update.
It’s like with XP in the past,why going to Vista or even 7 when something works so welll.
But there’s a lot of people bashing 8 because of the app centre and the menu @ the right side,instead of @ the start button,but they forget to mention when they’re in the desktop mode,they’re almost running a twin os of windows 7… On some of my systems I run 7,on some 8 and they both work very well…[/QUOTE]

Sorry to say but they may use the word twin but they aren’t twins for say. 8 Runs Metro not desktop mode. Start menu aren’t the same for both. 8 more orientated for Tablet not for desktop/laptop usage. That would be the right side “CHARMS” bar…what the heck is that for that waste valuable rel-estate for more important icons to use. I like my customize and 7 offers that while 8 makes it hard to even want to customize it. That what will make or break a O/S how a user can customize it and 8 doesn’t do it rather takes two steps backwards instead. And don’t forget desktop mode stay til you reboot or do nothing and goes back to metro so let’s not try to fool ourselves here there is no real desktop mode like 7.

For a company that used to get up to $250 for it’s premium version of the Windows operating system… MY, MY, MY how the mighty have fallen!

Notice that Windows RT tablets are starting to become more reasonably priced next to Android tablets? No longer in the stratosphere of $1k… a similar spec’d Win8RT is now similarly priced in the $249 - $499 range based on hardware. Now Android will have to PUT UP OR SHUT UP with driver & peripheral compatibility!! Even today, I can’t plug in an 802.11n usb wifi adapter and make it work on an Android 4.2 tablet and this is where Microsoft still has an edge. WHEN will google/android take away this advantage?!?

I am still thinking $39 for Win8 shows the only intelligence from BallmerDom in the last few years.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2692974]And don’t forget desktop mode stay til you reboot or do nothing and goes back to metro so let’s not try to fool ourselves here there is no real desktop mode like 7.[/QUOTE]

If you install Classic Startmenu from the open source [B]Classic Shell[/B] package,you can boot directly to desktop mode,without even a slight view of Metro…

Ballmer must be an idiot…what a minute…that would mean those that work under him are idiots too.
How does a multi-billion dollar company get that way?

This just in: The price for a Microsoft Surface has been slashed to $350 or so. And no Christine, even at that price it won’t make Windows twice as fast…

Yes, their puny 32Gb version for $349, which is sold even cheaper to the K-school and Elem Schools. And Fry’s is now offering the 128Gb version for $999.

Of course, the “Cover” - the keyboard - is still over a hundred.

There are so many of those chiclet keyboards that sell for $9 for desktops. But by trimming its dimensions and giving it a slightly proprietary connector to the Surface, it’s now $110 or even $140.

And it’s just as sturdy as any $9 keyboard out there. Just with fewer keys.

[QUOTE=roadworker;2693167]If you install Classic Startmenu from the open source [B]Classic Shell[/B] package,you can boot directly to desktop mode,without even a slight view of Metro…[/QUOTE]

Sorry to say but if W8 didn’t include that option to begin with 3rd party software doesn’t make it a true desktop like W7 is. I like to have the option from the clean fresh installation not have to mess with 3rd party software to get something that should be part of the install option:

Desktop Mode
or
Metro… :Z

That isn’t hard to do…very simple but seems like M$ is hitting the koolaid too hard nowdays…

@ coolcolors,point taken…:wink:
I agree that M$ is messing things up lately…It’s just that I don’t mind to have 3th party software installed to make things look the way I want,but people should have the possibility to opt-out for either Metro or desktop mode when installing w8…