Microsoft: open sourcing Windows is definitely possibility

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Microsoft: open sourcing Windows is definitely possibility[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2013/01/myce-microsoft-logo.jpg[/newsimage]

One of Microsoft’s top engineers, Mark Russinovich, has stated it’s definitely possible that Microsoft will opensource its Windows operating system.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-open-sourcing-windows-is-definitely-possibility-75613/](http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-open-sourcing-windows-is-definitely-possibility-75613/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

First reaction … when hell freezes over.

But at some point it seems possible that windows will be “finished”, and rather than keep churning new versions with more overhead and less payback, they would be glad to let the open source community push it forward.

Is this an April fools joke?

Is there really enough resources in the open source sector to maintain two competing operating systems?

One of them would be abandoned after a few eager years.Â

I’m not so sure how Microsoft/ developers would feel about 25 years of development being abandoned.

That said, Â Microsoft is moving away from easily pirated standalone editions and towards rigidly controlled cloud based SAS software editions, without realizing that most of its customer base is not interested in handing over their own control to a profit driven key master.Â

Someone call the keymaster?

I’m not so sure I want Windows as open source. Wouldn’t this open up even more attack vectors? :eek:

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2751414]Someone call the keymaster?
I’m not so sure I want Windows as open source. Wouldn’t this open up even more attack vectors? :eek:[/QUOTE]

If Windows has taught me anything, it’s that closed-sourced/non-free programs are the most vulnerable. I’ll bet that, while users will probably be a little more vulnerable for the first few months, open-sourcing Windows will make it [B]FAR[/B] less vulnerable in the long run.

The problem with non-free software is that the users are forced to depend 100% on some developer to fix bugs and security holes. With FOSS programs, the user doesn’t have to depend on any one party. Heck, you could theoretically pay someone to make any number of changes for you, although I realize security research is too big of a pain for just anybody. Still, given enough eyeballs, all bugs are shallow.

Also, it’s much harder for a developer to intentionally hide malware inside of a FOSS program. Microsoft has a bad history of including spyware and backdoors in Windows. If Microsoft is serious about open-sourcing Windows, they’ll probably realize the fact that this kind of behavior simply isn’t going to fly.

I’d rather they just lower the price to about $30.00 or $40.00 and not make it open source. The big problem with Linux is there are too many slightly different versions of it, and I can see the same thing happening with an open source Windows. Then if Windows did get splintered into multiple slightly different versions, there would likely end up being less software available to run on it, just like there is now for Linux.

@TSJnachos117: I don’t think Windows is vulnerable to hackers because it isn’t open source. Being open source would obviously make it easier to hack. It’s vulnerable because of the overwhelming market share Windows holds. Not many hackers are interested in hacking an OS that relatively few people use, because the returns (publicity) are marginal at best.

[QUOTE=BradWright;2751436]I’d rather they just lower the price to about $30.00 or $40.00 and not make it open source. The big problem with Linux is there are too many slightly different versions of it, and I can see the same thing happening with an open source Windows. Then if Windows did get splintered into multiple slightly different versions, there would likely end up being less software available to run on it, just like there is now for Linux.[/QUOTE]

Why go open source with your CASH Cow that is akin to shooting yourself in the foot while your running…As to the price heck they made it they decide the price and if you want it you pay for it and if not well you always got Linux distros to pick and choose from. Actually different Windows will always run on Windows their programming is all the same but not so with Linux there so many iterations one can’t be guarantee from one Linux to the next everything will match otherwise if that was true then we have only one Linux distro. But reality is we don’t have only one.

[QUOTE=BradWright;2751436]@[B][U]TSJnachos117[/U][/B]: I don’t think Windows is vulnerable to hackers because it isn’t open source. Being open source would obviously make it easier to hack. It’s vulnerable because of the overwhelming market share Windows holds. Not many hackers are interested in hacking an OS that relatively few people use, because the returns (publicity) are marginal at best.[/QUOTE]

Actually OPEN source would invite more crackers now they know the ins and outs of the O/S they can target their attack even more sophisticated and more damaging to the O/S and their intended target. Not Smart. Fool to the Slater…is what I call it. No that not it - it’s the value of target that uses the O/S is whom they are looking for the O/S is the middle man. That’s the part that is missed here. There are more Windows users then either MAC or Linux combine and that doesn’t include the Pirated Windows…if you included those then Mac and Linux…is probably dead last.

[QUOTE=Matth;2751410]First reaction … when hell freezes over.[/QUOTE]

That is the understatement…Where would MS be without Windows…nothing…

[QUOTE=Matth;2751410]But at some point it seems possible that windows will be “finished”, and rather than keep churning new versions with more overhead and less payback, they would be glad to let the open source community push it forward.[/QUOTE]

Not going to happen…They will keep developing Windows and the Windows is the Heart of the Microsoft EMPIRE…

[QUOTE=TSJnachos117;2751417]If Windows has taught me anything, it’s that closed-sourced/non-free programs are the most vulnerable. I’ll bet that, while users will probably be a little more vulnerable for the first few months, open-sourcing Windows will make it [B]FAR[/B] less vulnerable in the long run.[/QUOTE]

Based on what FACTS? All system are vulnerable and to just think Windows is the only platform is rosy dreams here. It’s the most used and that makes it the biggest bulleyes. And that will be the same for the other software as well. The more known the more targeted you become how others can be delusion by this I don’t know.

[QUOTE=TSJnachos117;2751417]The problem with non-free software is that the users are forced to depend 100% on some developer to fix bugs and security holes. With FOSS programs, the user doesn’t have to depend on any one party. Heck, you could theoretically pay someone to make any number of changes for you, although I realize security research is too big of a pain for just anybody. Still, given enough eyeballs, all bugs are shallow.[/QUOTE]

No the problem is they are not paid so what gives them incentives to update and fix the holes. You forgot that part. I rather have one O/S then so many linux O/S’s that you can never figure which one is good and which is worse or which is more secured that will never make Linux a standard O/S much less the learning curve.

[QUOTE=TSJnachos117;2751417]Also, it’s much harder for a developer to intentionally hide malware inside of a FOSS program. Microsoft has a bad history of including spyware and backdoors in Windows. If Microsoft is serious about open-sourcing Windows, they’ll probably realize the fact that this kind of behavior simply isn’t going to fly.[/QUOTE]

Again your think other software company don’t do the same thing including freeware programs. You must be hitting the koolaid to hard and need to ease off of it. Their behavior is to protect their “IP” and collect what is due for your using their software.

WTF?

They bought CPM to code basic and penetrate the whole world with office and that crap.

windooze can never walk into the OS zone (notice the fun in the word contruction).

Now, I’m curious whether they wrote it in basic …

They also claim to love Linux.
Well, let’s see GNU/Windows.

That’s Linux Rosy dream to see what makes Windows tick but that won’t happen maybe when a new re-written Windows O/S is out maybe but then again what incentives do they have to do so? Nothing AFAIK that can be given considering the IP Value of Windows and Office is their Gold Mine.