Microsoft OneDrive for Business modifies files as it syncs

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Microsoft OneDrive for Business modifies files as it syncs[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2014/04/OneDrive-for-Business-logo-95x75.png[/newsimage]

Microsoft OneDrive for Business is found to modify Microsoft Office files and various other files types as it syncs them between devices.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-onedrive-for-business-modifies-files-as-it-syncs-71168](http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-onedrive-for-business-modifies-files-as-it-syncs-71168)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Their media player (the last time I used it) also modified .mp3 files. It meant my files were showing as corrupt after playing them because I kept md5 info on them.
I think it was updating, or clearing some **** data but couldn’t see anything. I found nothing to prevent this, other than making the files read only before playing.

I wasn’t swearing above about the data. Don’t know why it put in the ****. The word, unless I typed it wrong was m.e.t.a. data :slight_smile:

Great detective work there Seán with some scary implications particularly for privacy.

Makes you wonder why Microsoft wants to make the documents traceable and identifiable. :eek:

[B]Wombler[/B]

Mr Gates must have worked for Uncle Sam at one time

[QUOTE=Wombler;2725606]Great detective work there Seán with some scary implications particularly for privacy.

Makes you wonder why Microsoft wants to make the documents traceable and identifiable. :eek:

[B]Wombler[/B][/QUOTE]Privacy this was one of the concerns when skydrive was first released now called onedrive and this article just supports what many of us thought in the beginning MS can have their cloud storage.:Z

While chances are that all these modifications are automatic, it demonstrates that Microsoft does have access to, and is modifying, these documents in the supposedly encrypted storage.

How long will it be until someone is indited for publishing something that they didn’t write, but was modified once uploaded into cloud storage.

If cloud storage must be used, your data has to be encrypted by you, before it’s uploaded to the storage provider.

Massive fail for cloud providers in general, and Microsoft in particular.

I was just looking at Tresorit for secure cloud storage. Not that I ever considered a MS solution, but this makes it a lot less likely I will. Anybody have anything good or bad to say about Tresorit?

Regardless of the reasons though I don’t think I’d trust any organisation that adds identifying information to my own files.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Is anyone genuinely surprised that this was happening?

Would be bad enough if it was just their free serivice…

Looks like businesses will be forced to only use services which allow them to overlay their own encryption, with locally stored keys, and strong legal protection to guarantee that their data will never leave the EU.

And if your business is required by law to keep verifiable records…
[U]You[/U] could end up in serious trouble.

Welcome to the world of everything-as-a-service computing. This is just the begining. :frowning:

I’m not remotely surprised but then it wouldn’t surprise me either if it eventually turned out that the NSA had some involvement in this as well.

People’s files shouldn’t be modified by cloud services without some form of justifiable, and very visible, form of explanation IMO.

[B]Wombler[/B]

I think OneDrive for Business is using SharePoint and the added UUID is SharePoint behavior for document tracking and control. They should add an option to turn it off.

OneDrive for Business is SharePoint - it’s the new new name for SharePoint Workspace to be more precise. Syncing with a SharePoint server in the MS cloud. It is thus a completely different thing from OneDrive (consumer) and why MS marketing chose to confuse it this way I guess we’ll never understand.

SharePoint is a DMS not a filesystem, and it syncs document management metadata from, and to, the documents (depending on file format).

In container file formats this is done in metadata, not content, sections - your document content is not touched (try office documents with digital signatures - the signature will remain valid, because it validates the content areas of the file format, not metadata). In some file formats it will add comments in a way that does not affect the content (as above).

That is all this is, SharePoint on-premise will do exactly the same thing, and it is a documented SharePoint feature for at least a decade - see e.g. http://weblogs.asp.net/bsimser/archive/2004/11/22/267846.aspx

> So what this means is that people who use OneDrive for Business or SharePoint need to be very careful with what they sync with it

Ok, this just seems absurd by me. People who use OneDrive needs to run away screaming, not “be very careful”. Really.

Nevertheless, it would have been much more logical to put meta data in a separate file instead of touching the original files. It even renders .html and .php files unusable.

It’s been in SharePoint (the underpinnings of OneDrive for Business) for several releases. Read more about it here - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/aa543341(v=office.14).aspx. The post is click bait.

[QUOTE=YouDontWantToKnow;2726304]It’s been in SharePoint (the underpinnings of OneDrive for Business) for several releases. Read more about it here - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/aa543341(v=office.14).aspx. The post is click bait.[/QUOTE]

It’s certainly no clickbait. From your post you can at least conclude it’s bad marketing from Microsoft as the new name certainly gives different expectations. Also adding meta data to a file that renders it unusable is not really a great ‘feature’.

[QUOTE=DoMiN8ToR;2726305]Also adding meta data to a file that renders it unusable is not really a great ‘feature’.[/QUOTE]

Well said,DoMi!!!:clap::iagree:

What I find particularly concerning is that it also modifes the contents of password-protected files.
The fact that a password-protected “.xlsx” file is NOT a zip file suggests that perhaps the whole thing is encrypted, not just key files within the ZIP. If so (and I do hope I am wrong) it suggests that there could be a password-free back-door into the encrypted files that SharePoint uses.

I certainly hope you’re wrong BigJobbies and welcome to the forum :wink: