Microsoft Officially Unveils New Surface RT 2 Revamped

Microsoft Officially Unveils New Surface RT 2 Revamped

Microsoft also officially unveiled the newly revamped Surface RT 2. Here’s the breakdown of specs and features on the new Surface RT refresh:

[ul]
[li]Supposedly more focused on productivity[/li][li]Faster - doubled the bus speed - increased the CPU speed - Tegra 4 processor[/li][li]New full HD display - same full HD display as the Pro 2 - 10.6-inch 1080p[/li][li]built from two pieces of Magnesium[/li][li]Battery life has been improved by 25% - 12 hours of battery life[/li][li]Now available in white as well as the original slate black color[/li][li]More than 100,000 apps in the Windows Store no available[/li][li]Full Office suite included this time, including Outlook - just like on the Surface Pro & Pro 2[/li][li]Surface 2 also features a 72-core GPU for vastly improved gaming performance - part of the Tegra 4 processor architecture[/li][li]New kickstand design that supports multiple viewing angles[/li][li]USB 3.0 port[/li][li]Rear camera that is five times better than the original optics - front camera improved as well[/li][li]free international calling with Skype along with each Surface 2 purchase[/li][li]Surface 2 comes with 200GB of SkyDrive storage[/li][li]“New cover now features 1,092 integrated sensors compared to 80 sensors in the first-generation cover. The result is a much more accurate typing experience” - new predictive typing feature that corrects words even when you miss keys or hit the wrong keys[/li][/ul]
As far as pricing info goes, we have word that the 16GB model of the Surface RT 2 will sell for $449. It should be launching October 22nd. They are actually calling this one the Surface 2 to differentiate it from the Surface RT.

The original Surface RT will still be available for $349.99. Furthermore, the original model will also get Microsoft’s full Office suite with Outlook.

September 23rd at 8AM EDT preorders become available for all of the new Surface products.

Source: BGR

I love some of these ‘features’, like the “much more accurate typing experience”.

That’s not the same as an actually ACCURATE typing event, yes?

It’s just MORE accurate to what I’ve been typing, eh? So, is that “now, 4 correct keys will be displayed, out of the 100 you touch”?

I guess that would be TWICE as great, huh?

Geez, thanks.

I’m glad for the 200Gb SkyDrive space.

Any word if OUTLOOK COM will function for any 3 days in a row without an outage?

I haven’t seen the TV ads but I’ll be waiting, desperately waiting. Will they skip past the Dancing On Picnic Tables and improve those moves, too - maybe Water Skiing? Olympic Tobogan maybe? Perhaps being a puck in the NHL Finals?

(Oooh, I just re-read that - two slabs of Magnesium? Say - this isn’t the stuff that, when tossed into water, creates a “fire that can’t be extinguished”? Boy - that’s really make those Water Skiing Surfaces not so attractive, I suppose…)

[QUOTE=ChristineBCW;2701265]I love some of these ‘features’, like the “much more accurate typing experience”.

That’s not the same as an actually ACCURATE typing event, yes?

It’s just MORE accurate to what I’ve been typing, eh? So, is that “now, 4 correct keys will be displayed, out of the 100 you touch”?

I guess that would be TWICE as great, huh?

Geez, thanks.

I’m glad for the 200Gb SkyDrive space.

Any word if OUTLOOK COM will function for any 3 days in a row without an outage?

I haven’t seen the TV ads but I’ll be waiting, desperately waiting. Will they skip past the Dancing On Picnic Tables and improve those moves, too - maybe Water Skiing? Olympic Tobogan maybe? Perhaps being a puck in the NHL Finals?

(Oooh, I just re-read that - two slabs of Magnesium? Say - this isn’t the stuff that, when tossed into water, creates a “fire that can’t be extinguished”? Boy - that’s really make those Water Skiing Surfaces not so attractive, I suppose…)[/QUOTE]

There are a few you missed:bigsmile::bigsmile:

Surface 2 also features a 72-core GPU for vastly improved gaming performance - part of the Tegra 4 processor architecture
[B]New kickstand design that supports multiple viewing angles[/B]
USB 3.0 port

“Do you still think I’m Pretty”

Said the Ipad to the Surface:bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile:

“Some missed” - yes, I know! For shame!! And those GPU cores - well, I’m sure those are brilliant from a technical standpoint. Aren’t CUDAs in the 400+ range or something like that?

The kickstand for multiple viewing angles, too… oh yes. While the Surface is skipping around the house or picnic grounds (Lake Erie? On Mt. Suribachi? Krakatoa?), I’ll be so happy that it can rest itself “from 78-degrees upright to a perfect 0-degrees flat, and many in between.”

Now, if it could take its forward-camera, glam onto my beady little pupils and detect eye-strain and compensation for viewing angle BY ITSELF, well then, folks, we might have something. (Oh wait. That’s called RT 3! Shhh - say n’more, know what I mean? Know what I mean?)

All for a low, low price starting in the mid $400s!

[I]I need to find a link to Ralph Spoilsport, of Ralph Spoilsport Motors, here in the city of Emphasema. (OK OK, this is the Pennsylvania version. But pretty slick.)
[/I]

[QUOTE=ChristineBCW;2701268]“Some missed” - yes, I know! For shame!! And those GPU cores - well, I’m sure those are brilliant from a technical standpoint. Aren’t CUDAs in the 400+ range or something like that?

The kickstand for multiple viewing angles, too… oh yes. While the Surface is skipping around the house or picnic grounds (Lake Erie? On Mt. Suribachi? Krakatoa?), I’ll be so happy that it can rest itself “from 78-degrees upright to a perfect 0-degrees flat, and many in between.”

Now, if it could take its forward-camera, glam onto my beady little pupils and detect eye-strain and compensation for viewing angle BY ITSELF, well then, folks, we might have something. (Oh wait. That’s called RT 3! Shhh - say n’more, know what I mean? Know what I mean?)

All for a low, low price starting in the mid $400s!

[I]I need to find a link to Ralph Spoilsport, of Ralph Spoilsport Motors, here in the city of Emphasema. [/I][/QUOTE]

The multiple viewing angles can also come in handy when you are watching those XXXXXRated downloads. LOL.;););):wink:

I think we’re getting into Erector Set jokes, now. “Throw a towel over it!”

Or is it a Catholic Priest or Penn State joke?

My only answer is

Rara sit intelligentia et humor aestimantur;):flower:

As of this moment they just released the Surface 2 Pro

Microsoft is revealing the new Surface Pro 2

[ul]
[li]HD display just like the original model, But with “huge improvements to really improve color reproduction.”[/li][li]Dolby sound[/li][li]20% faster than the OG Surface Pro - described as “Lightning fast.” - Core i5 processor - faster than more than 94% of laptops on the market[/li][li]8GB RAM[/li][li]New kickstand design that supports multiple viewing angles[/li][li]Haswell processor - operates cooler and quieter[/li][li]75% improvement in battery life[/li][li]Optional new “Power Cover” keyboard accessory that more than doubles the battery life of the Pro 2 for 2.5 times more battery life[/li][li]New docking station accessory for the Pro 2 - can be docked without even having to remove any attached keyboard covers - “Docking Station features 4 USB ports, Mini DisplayPort, Ethernet port, audio in and audio out. It can also support up to 3840 x 2160 resolution external displays.”[/li][li]Now supports better-than-HD video out for external monitors[/li][li]Can process raw 6k resolution video footage “without even breaking a sweat”[/li][li]New colors for the Type Cover 2 - 1mm thinner than the original covers - features back-lit keys (will be released next year)[/li][li]More than 100,000 apps in the Windows Store no available[/li][li]Free international calling with Skype along with each Surface 2 purchase[/li][li]“New cover now features 1,092 integrated sensors compared to 80 sensors in the first-generation cover. The result is a much more accurate typing experience” - new predictive typing feature that corrects words even when you miss keys or hit the wrong keys[/li][/ul]
The pricing of the Surface Pro 2 will be $899, and it should be launching October 22nd.

September 23rd at 8AM EDT preorders become available for all of the new Surface products.

Source: BGR

Oh. This is so much fun.

“Free international Skype calling…” just give us $899.

And it’s really sad that they WOULD brag about this: “Core i5 faster than more than 94% of laptops”. They are just hoping no one will say, "Gee, so no one’s buying computers these days, eh?

I’ll bet this one will outsell every Win95 PC on Best Buy or Fry’s shelves in October, too. What a fantastic feat!

[I]God bless Marketing Folks. I know I won’t. [/I]

I just cant wait to get my pre-order in (j/king) I will go into Best Buy and play with one for a bit though, then I 'll come back to my desktop and be happy again.:bigsmile::bigsmile:

Where’s that SNOOPY DANCE gif?

Gee, I wonder if Alan’s camping out tonight at BestBuy so he can be among the first kajillion to order that new Surface 2?

(I don’t want to make fun of the product. I DO want to poke as much fun as the marketing gimmicks they’ve used.)

I am sort of curious about pricing. The Pro 2 “starts” at $899. To get a Cover or a Typing Cover, that’s at least another $120. There’s a RAM upgrade from 4 to 8Gb, too. Something tells me that the fire in the Chinese factory a few weeks ago will suddenly ensure maximum price-spiking for those.

This is going to be pushing into the $1200 range, therefore?

Wee hours on Order Morning have passed, and I’m fairly certain Alan spent the night in some BestBuy parking lot in the polar-northeast, placing his order for hundreds of Surface Pro’s. I have high hopes he’ll send me a baker’s dozen, too. In fact, I’m almost certain he will - just as much as I’m certain he was out there in the all-night ordering queue. Uh huh.

EDIT: I just flipped on CNN to see if they were covering this world-wide mania, too. But apparently there’s a cholesterol monitoring product that has obtained headline status instead. Wait - no - it’s one of the Flo insurance commercials now…

I’m not sure I understand Microsoft. The original Surface RT led to a one billion dollar write off. Now they’re doing it again? How many times do they hit themselves in the head with a hammer before they stop?

The Surface Pro 2 is a different device entirely, and will succeed in its niche. But it is far too expensive to become a popular tablet with the general public.

[QUOTE=ChristineBCW;2701306]Wee hours on Order Morning have passed, and I’m fairly certain Alan spent the night in some BestBuy parking lot in the polar-northeast, placing his order for hundreds of Surface Pro’s. I have high hopes he’ll send me a baker’s dozen, too. In fact, I’m almost certain he will - just as much as I’m certain he was out there in the all-night ordering queue. Uh huh.

EDIT: I just flipped on CNN to see if they were covering this world-wide mania, too. But apparently there’s a cholesterol monitoring product that has obtained headline status instead. Wait - no - it’s one of the Flo insurance commercials now…[/QUOTE]
Nope I didnt spent the night in Best Buy, but I wanted too, my body wouldn’t allow it, so I went to Staples this morning and they had a Microsoft Rep and a big display there, I played with it for a bit, and I have to admit that the Pro is very nice but not worth the price they are asking, the keyboard is very good, and I love the display. :wink: Not buying one at this price.

So, I guess you’re not sending ME a baker’s dozen either? Darn…

Can you describe what a demo looked like? What kind of displayed programs or apps the MS Rep used? (I assume this was tacked down on a table or kiosk, not passed around the crowd, not risking a drop on the first morning.)

Did he run a SKYPE session to show off the camera & screen’s connect-speeds?

And, Kerry, I myself am wondering if Vegas has odds for the next billion-dollar write-down. That would be an Over-Under Line. Or might it be a ‘Date Of’ Line? Or will they merely be betting on the date of the next big price drop? “60 days… 90 days…”

I looked at Surface RT and Surface Pro screens displayed in Gangnam and compared them with Apple’s Mac Air laptops with 802.11ac and MacBook Pro with Retina at a local store. The overall design of the first-generation Surface series is good, but not as good as that of Mac Air. The screen’s the biggest problem. It’s nice to know the second-generation Surface RT is equipped with 1920 x 1080 resolution screen, but the trend in tablets is 2560 x 1600 while some of Samsung’s high-end hybrids are capable of 3200 x 1800 in Windows 8.1. LG Display has already announced 538 ppi 2560 x 1440 AH-IPS for PHONE. Sharp, Toshiba, and some other Japanese display makers already have such high-resolution panels, but LG sells them at much lower cost. Some people including so-called experts and reports insist human eyes cannot notice differences and anything higher than HD (1920 x 1080) is overkill, but the first iPhone with Retina had 960 x 640 pixels on 3.5 inches diagonally. It was the biggest factor Steve Jobs and nearly all Apple ads took advantage of though never admitting in public it’s made by LG and Sharp could make better display. 538 ppi is only a small qualitative advance from iPhone 4’s 326 ppi and people (usually the same people) say the former only contributes to shorter battery life and poor performance while the latter’s mankind’s best invention.

Storage, OS, keyboard, CPU… these things are far less important. I’m not sure what kind of SSD Microsoft put into the second-generation Surface RT and Surface Pro. Some of Samsung’s newest hybrids can boot Windows 8 in six seconds. Microsoft should be able to achieve something better.

[QUOTE=Kenshin;2701493]It’s nice to know the second-generation Surface RT is equipped with 1920 x 1080 resolution screen, but the trend in tablets is 2560 x 1600 while some of Samsung’s high-end hybrids are capable of 3200 x 1800 in Windows 8.1.[/QUOTE]

Those Samsung ATIV Book 9 Plus (13.3") laptops at fourteen hundred bucks should be gorgeous to look at, though regrettably I have not seen them.

[QUOTE=ChristineBCW;2701345]So, I guess you’re not sending ME a baker’s dozen either? Darn…

Can you describe what a demo looked like? What kind of displayed programs or apps the MS Rep used? (I assume this was tacked down on a table or kiosk, not passed around the crowd, not risking a drop on the first morning.)

Did he run a SKYPE session to show off the camera & screen’s connect-speeds?

And, Kerry, I myself am wondering if Vegas has odds for the next billion-dollar write-down. That would be an Over-Under Line. Or might it be a ‘Date Of’ Line? Or will they merely be betting on the date of the next big price drop? “60 days… 90 days…”[/QUOTE]

Looks like they are following Trent’s philosophy:

Yes!

But that $1400… heck, $1200 for a probably-not-productive tablet. I don’t know. I guess salesmen could do product demos and make money from that. But I’d want that large of expense to be incredibly productive, not a mini-TV or eReader.

I’m having trouble justifying any of these expenses above a few hundred dollars as an easy surf gadget.