Microsoft officially announces release date of Windows 8.1

We’ve just posted the following news: Microsoft officially announces release date of Windows 8.1[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2013/05/myce-windows8-desktop-670x410.jpg[/newsimage]

Microsoft today officially announced the release date of Windows 8.1.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-officially-announces-release-date-of-windows-8-1-68447/](http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-officially-announces-release-date-of-windows-8-1-68447/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I’m watching the questions pile up on MSDN about not releasing the RTM version there. Two main arguments seem to be: (1) insufficient W8.1 staff to handle more comments, questions or corrections beyond a few manufacturers’ reps, or (2) they’ve slashed the number of original “listen to customers” options so they’ve moved away from Solution into Publicity-Damage Control.

This probably means Win9 is closer at hand than expected.

I don’t know if the rumors are true that Win9’s Project Team is called RMS CARPATHIA. Gee. What an odd choice.

[QUOTE=ChristineBCW;2696001]I’m watching the questions pile up on MSDN about not releasing the RTM version there. Two main arguments seem to be: (1) insufficient W8.1 staff to handle more comments, questions or corrections beyond a few manufacturers’ reps, or (2) they’ve slashed the number of original “listen to customers” options so they’ve moved away from Solution into Publicity-Damage Control.

This probably means Win9 is closer at hand than expected.

I don’t know if the rumors are true that Win9’s Project Team is called [B]RMS CARPATHIA[/B]. Gee. What an odd choice.[/QUOTE]
So its your belief that like the Carpathia rescuded the passengers of the Titantic, the Carpathia (Windows 9) will rescue Windows 8.1. My question is, if they cannot make Windows 8.1 right, what makes you believe Windows 9 is going to be any better?

[QUOTE=alan1476;2696036]So its your belief - ?[/QUOTE]
No. It’s my JOKE that some group in MS might consider a rescue effort. My BELIEF in Microsoft is far lower.

If Ballmer would return to his college mustache days, I think everyone would see the Yosemite-Sam-esque likeness. Like, out of CAPTAIN HAREBOWER.

[QUOTE=ChristineBCW;2696043]No. It’s my JOKE that some group in MS might consider a rescue effort. My BELIEF in Microsoft is far lower.

If Ballmer would return to his college mustache days, I think everyone would see the Yosemite-Sam-esque likeness. Like, out of CAPTAIN HAREBOWER.[/QUOTE]

LOL. :bigsmile:;)

Actually, I’m still fairly confused at Microsoft’s hoped-for direction for the Start Screen UI. I fear it’s “subscriber, always-on-line, per-usage fee-based” - a pure Cell Phone Model concept. “We’ll charge you for every click, tap, every app, every search, every mouse movement - everything.”

And there could be MS Win Dev groups conceptualizing of Titanic-esque achievements. “Twitter and Facebook prove that computer users don’t need to use more than a few words. All they really need is LIKE. Then we’ll turn that into GOOD. And UNGOOD.” (Of course, that’s from their George Orwell Department.)

I’m also not certain we’ll see Win9 be much more than cleaning up all of these Titanic-esque AppStore messes. “OK, so we hit a few icebergs. Some of our WinStore apps don’t work - but NOW they do! NOW you can set sail with us!”

So, I’m really thinking Win10 would be a bigger step - in any direction - than Win9 will be UNLESS Win9’s team is indeed named “Carpathian”.

Is Ballmer’s middle name really Ismay? Someone on MSDN is asking that question (NO, NOT ME - but yes, I am laughing).

IDK about these arguements. Since Windows Millennium, Microsoft has been going through a rather predictable cycle: Millennium=bad, XP=good, Vista=bad, 7=good, 8=bad.

If any of you 7 users were to switch to Vista, odds are, you’d only notice two things: smaller desktop icons, and a quicklaunch toolbar occupying a customizable amount of space (as opposed to pinning over-sized icons to the taskbar). However, Vista has such a bad reputation from 7-lovers everywhere. Why is this?

Perhaps people will accept change if they realize it’s inevitable. They whine about the first OS with changes in the interface, but embrace the second incarnation of this OS.

I should mention how much I agree about this subscription-nonsense. The fact is, subscription-based services will probably become the norm, as people not willing to look for alternatives will quickly accept it. As much as I hate the idea, I really doubt people will be willing to open their eyes to see how much money they are paying for all the crap they “need” to have.

To make matters worse, this subscription-crap will likely be infected with bundled with spyware “anti-piracy” routines, which upload badly-encrypted (or worse, unencrypted!) data regarding the private details of your life against your will. This in turn, will allow the “complimentary” ads, which you’re paying good money to see, to become even more annoying!

[QUOTE=TSJnachos117;2696054]However, Vista has such a bad reputation from 7-lovers everywhere. Why is this?[/QUOTE]
Vista had user-account issues, load and startup problems, program compatibility immediately. There was a large cry that “Every company has to replace every computer immediately” - not exactly true, but also, everyone had taken their time to adopt to XP, too. It’s first delivered incarnation wasn’t so great either. (It had the 128Gb hard drive limit on Day 1.)

So people were simply used to waiting, waiting, waiting for Windows SP-1 to arrive. Microsoft taught that lesson to them. They didn’t WANT that lesson to be taught, of course, but Users learned from Win95 (not so great, Win95-B, much much better. Win95-C - ugh. (And even way before - Win3.0 - ugh. Win3.1 Better. Win3.11 - the best of that lot.

Vista was a huge marketing effort going up to the release, and Wiley Coyote didn’t splat as bad.

In fact, within weeks, the MSDN folks were seeing toolboxes for the Next Windows. They knew Vista wasn’t ‘long for this life’ and most corps (well, their accountants) said, “Fine - let’s just wait for Vista SP1 OR the next Windows.” Vista SP1 hit and Win7 was announced within weeks. So it became “Why bother?”

Vista, now, isn’t so bad. But if the bad reputation has lingered longer than is justified, Ballmer & Co. have earned it.

I agree that change will be inevitable and perhaps those First Tastes are never as palatable as Taste #2. I know I’ll change my W8 machines to 8.1. Ballmer shouldn’t hold his breath for me to change any older releases, though.

I’m still angered that he dumps so many fonts onto my machine, and I NEVER did that to his.

[QUOTE=TSJnachos117;2696054]I should mention…this subscription-nonsense. The fact is, subscription-based services will probably become the norm…[/QUOTE]
Good arguments in these two paragraphs, something I’ve been chewing on for a while.

While the Subscriber Service Business Model is out there, and has been for a while, Computers have not been based on this.

The simplistic perverting of a Computer into Phone-Type Touch-View Business Model will be difficult. I think the storm around Win8 is just the start, too. “Storm” may not be the correct attribute. “Storm Cellar” might be the better descriptor - storm cellars like XP, like Win7, like “anything that doesn’t require me to keep paying Ballmer”.

It’s disappointing to me that Linux cannot marshal its forces NOW - and in the last 3 months - to take advantage of Win8’s UI. “Since you have to learn a new UI, why not learn one that’s more customizable?”

Of course, I argue that “an OS simply isn’t the biggest issue - it’s the programs that people use that’s the bigger issue.”

And perhaps more importantly, the programs that businesses use, and pay for.

Linux is still doing Iron Age or maybe even Copper Age work, I feel - forcing everyone to not just learn a new OS, but learn a whole lot about internals and line-commands long before Desktop Programs can be productive. At least Win8 accepts DVD SHRINK right off the bat! No Wine, no add-in DLLs needed!

Nothing is helping Win8’s future more than Linux at this point.

Windows 8.1 … released as an incentive for customers to rent Windows 7 vm’s on azure…