Microsoft offers free 100GB OneDrive storage bonus

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Microsoft offers free 100GB OneDrive storage bonus[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2015/02/myce-one-drive-100gb-bonus-95x75.png[/newsimage]
[quote][/quote]
Read the full article here: http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-offers-free-100gb-onedrive-storage-bonus-74985/

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Desperation … very late to the party. Classic over-compensation.

Temporary storage that disappears after a year isn’t that interesting in my opinion.

It doesn’t disappear, all your files are still available for download. The only restriction is you cannot upload new files without paying for a plan.

[QUOTE=FreqNasty_RiseS;2748292]It doesn’t disappear, all your files are still available for download. The only restriction is you cannot upload new files without paying for a plan.[/QUOTE]
The “only” restriction is that your OneDrive becomes read-only; that’s a pretty big restriction in my book!

100GB of free cloud storage is likely to be the norm in 2 years anyway. You have nothing to lose keeping your files backed up for free until then.

If i can’t use client-side encryption (so that i’m pretty sure only i can read it), i’m not impressed.

You could always place your files in password-protected compression formats (eg zip, rar, 7-zip). Still, I would rather just buy an extra HDD. Not only is one HDD is probably the same price as one year of cloud storage, using your own HDD makes it much harder for Microsoft (or any other cloud storage provider) to analyze your files. In other words, it’s cheaper and more secure.

Totally true, but it kinda defeats its own purpose by then. It wouldn’t be as much readiliy available as you would want it to have. Otherwise you could just use an encrypted usb drive and store that thing somewhere.

I’ve got my own cloud. It also encrypts all its own contents. Doesn’t use client side encryption (except the hardened SSL certificate), but i know exactly where all the data is stored. :slight_smile: