Microsoft now finally offers its Office suite from the Windows Store

Originally published at: http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-now-finally-offers-office-suite-windows-store-82149/

Microsoft will start to offer its Office suite in the Windows Store. It’s likely the move comes due to the release of Windows 10 S, a stripped down version of the operating system that only allows installing software from the Windows Store.

I’m so glad I don’t have Windows 10 (S). I will never use the Windows store willingly. As for office software, I don’t need MS software. LibreOffice does the job just fine, and runs natively on GNU/Linux.

[quote=“TSJnachos117, post:2, topic:398656, full:true”]
I’m so glad I don’t have Windows 10 (S). I will never use the Windows store willingly.[/quote]I don’t use no store apps when I have a full standalone MS office suite installed for my needs on Desktop and Laptop on the go.

[quote=“TSJnachos117, post:2, topic:398656, full:true”]As for office software, I don’t need MS software.[/quote]We all say that but everyone wants to compare to Microsoft Windows and Microsoft Office. If MS Office didn’t exists we be typing on typewriters still.

[quote]a stripped down version of the operating system that only allows installing software from the Windows Store.[/quote]And what about those that have no internet access what then? Windows Store would be useless to them.

Need I remind you that similar software existed before MS Office. Ever heard of VisiCalc, Lotus 1-2-3, or WordPerfect?

Used Word Perfect for several years myself

Also I might remind you those are dead software now or so obscure you can hear a pin drop. Even before all these UI program there was PcWrite for DOS. Everyone still compares themselves to MS Office regardless of how many straws one grabs.

But they failed where Office took over that is the reality of software some for better or worse was able to beat and overtake the market share. Everyone imitated the MS Ribbon for better or worse which made MS Office more popular because of it. Also software updates and support is a factor MS Office had staying power even if they used it to kill off rivals as this is called free market for what it’s worth.

I never intended to recommend those programs for everyday use. Rather, I simply meant to point out that office software was already becoming popular by the time Microsoft Office was released. That said, you previously mentioned this:

I mentioned those old programs in an attempt to debunk that claim. Many people had already stopped using typewriters by then. Even without Microsoft Office, people would have stopped using typewriters eventually. Maybe they would have used something like Star Office or WordPerfect instead.

Of course, that didn’t actually happen, but it could have if MS Office didn’t exist (or somehow became a commercial failure).