Microsoft no longer allows installing and uninstalling individual updates in Windows 7 and Windows 8.1

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Microsoft no longer allows installing and uninstalling individual updates in Windows 7 and Windows 8.1[newsimage]http://www.myce.com/wp-content/images_posts/2014/12/myce-windows-7-95x75.jpg[/newsimage]

Microsoft is changing the way updates to Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 systems are distributed. The software giant will release one cumulative update each month. Skipping or deinstalling individual updates is no longer possible.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-no-longer-allows-installing-uninstalling-individual-updates-windows-7-windows-8-1-80226/](http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-no-longer-allows-installing-uninstalling-individual-updates-windows-7-windows-8-1-80226/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Did anyone else see this coming :iagree:

Sooner than I thought but I knew it was coming

The new method makes that users can no longer decide which patches they want or don’t want to install. Uninstalling an individual update is also no longer possible. In the past it happened several times that a patch caused new problems or that Microsoft added unwanted functionality such as Windows 10 advertisements.
No worries here I got disable GWX and disableWindows10 regedits so I can live with MS update. Do what you want MS - I’ll get the updates and no junkware installs of GWX or Windows10 Nags.

It’s only a matter of time before they shut those down

[QUOTE=bean55;2779473]Did anyone else see this coming :iagree:

Sooner than I thought but I knew it was coming[/QUOTE]

Yep :iagree:
What it means is no more free rides down ‘selection avenue’ and so offline Windows 10 seems to be the only route to regain control

They are going to force you out of Windows 7 and 8 sooner or later

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2779474]No worries here I got disable GWX and disableWindows10 regedits so I can live with MS update. [/QUOTE]

What have GWX and Windows 10 nags got to do with this article?

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2779474]Do what you want MS - I’ll get the updates and no junkware installs of GWX or Windows10 Nags.[/QUOTE]

If you want updates you will have to download the single monthly rollup update or nothing at all. It won’t include anything to do with Windows 10 upgrades as that period is over now, but it will likely have telemetry stuff at some point.

[QUOTE=roho;2779481]If you want updates you will have to download the single monthly rollup update or nothing at all. It won’t include anything to do with Windows 10 upgrades as that period is over now, but it will likely have telemetry stuff at some point.[/QUOTE]

It gives reason for general concern, I will have to admit that… Any and all seems such a devastating amount :iagree: and nothing leaves you open for the next wave of attacks which is not good either :disagree:

Could it be Windows 10 isn’t such a drag anyway considering the sudden change of rules in the game?

Good job I stopped updating Win 7 Since Jan 2016. Microsoft can go and ST*** Themselves.

and in typical Microsuck fashion, every time the updates screw up machines, it’s gonna be down to the people to fork out to put them right, i suppose!! this shouldn’t be allowed. there is hardly a single update that is put out that doesn’t end up locking the machine, removing compatibility of some piece of hardware, causing major BSODs or something even worse! what is needed is for a class action against Microsoft when this crap starts happening! just because they ‘made windows’ doesn’t give them the right to force anything to be installed on a computer. all have been purchased and it should be down to the owner whether a machine is updated or not. on top of that, it should also be down to the individual to be able to uninstall an update if it plays the machine up! what the hell has gotten into Microsoft i dont know, but it seems to me that it has done deals with the devils (NSA,FBI,HS,CIA etc etc). considering how it done it’s damnedest to force everyone to 'upgrade to windows 10, there has to be more of a reason(s) than just ease of making all machines ‘similar’! it’s as if they have promised all the security agencies that they will be able to get into all machines, see who has done what, with whom, when, where and how, just under the ridiculous excuse of ‘stopping terrorism’! they haven’t managed to stop anything yet as those who dont want to be spied on wont be, taking as many precautions as they need to remain secret, off the radar!!

[QUOTE=Xercus;2779484]
Could it be Windows 10 isn’t such a drag anyway considering the sudden change of rules in the game?[/QUOTE]

Dragging down Windows 7 and 8 updates to the level of 10 doesn’t make 10’s update process any more attractive. :disagree:

The sad thing is, if you go back 18 months or so, most people would’ve been quite happy to have a single update pack each month. But in that time we’ve have forced updates for 10, back ported telemetry, the whole GWX/10 upgrade debacle, adware in security updates and probably more. Now people simply don’t trust Microsoft to not sneak things in users don’t want. Their trust level is at an all time low…

And they are still making Money ( That is the whole Point )

You can make more money renting than outright selling.

i think this sort of ‘we’ll do whatever the fk we like, and you’ll do whatever the fk you’re told’ attitude is gonna push more and more people over to at least trying Linux. i am certainly on the tipping point, never having used it, but from what i’ve seen about it and read, it’s now very much like using a windows machine, only better and no ‘you will do this, because i tell you to’!!

I agree kevpc, the take it or leave it attitude of Microsoft lately is going to push consumers away from MS/OS into other options.
One day you will see major mfg pushing an OS other than MS such as a robust Linux because MS is going to break sh*t with their take all updates and no uninstalling causing major headaches for home users and companies alike. I’m sure there will be utilities and work around(s) but this is a potentially dangerous path for credibility. I remember early on in Windows 7, some updates BROKE systems and caused everything from NON-BOOTING systems, to BSOD, to bootloops, and drivers wreaking havoc with hardware to name a few.

[QUOTE=kevpc;2779492]i think this sort of ‘we’ll do whatever the fk we like, and you’ll do whatever the fk you’re told’ attitude is gonna push more and more people over to at least trying Linux. i am certainly on the tipping point, never having used it, but from what i’ve seen about it and read, it’s now very much like using a windows machine, only better and no ‘you will do this, because i tell you to’!![/QUOTE]
That be a long way coming… Linux has yet to unify on one Linux Platform to be a meaningful challenger to Windows. Only then can Linux make Windows scared. Linux has their own problem that is too many Distro doesn’t help it secure a market share to really scare Microsoft.

[QUOTE=tmc8080;2779498]I agree kevpc, the take it or leave it attitude of Microsoft lately is going to push consumers away from MS/OS into other options.
One day you will see major mfg pushing an OS other than MS such as a robust Linux because MS is going to break sh*t with their take all updates and no uninstalling causing major headaches for home users and companies alike. I’m sure there will be utilities and work around(s) but this is a potentially dangerous path for credibility. I remember early on in Windows 7, some updates BROKE systems and caused everything from NON-BOOTING systems, to BSOD, to bootloops, and drivers wreaking havoc with hardware to name a few.[/QUOTE]
Everyone O/S will break something MS is the bigger target so you hear more is all. Don’t think Linux are without their own problems. Another is Major Software support is what determines what O/S people want to use and right now it is Windows. Until Linux can get that market don’t expect Software developers to jump Windows to Linux. Linux has to become one O/S or die a thousand cuts. And this is Linux own doing not Microsoft.

[QUOTE=roho;2779489]Dragging down Windows 7 and 8 updates to the level of 10 doesn’t make 10’s update process any more attractive. :disagree:

The sad thing is, if you go back 18 months or so, most people would’ve been quite happy to have a single update pack each month. But in that time we’ve have forced updates for 10, back ported telemetry, the whole GWX/10 upgrade debacle, adware in security updates and probably more. Now people simply don’t trust Microsoft to not sneak things in users don’t want. Their trust level is at an all time low…[/QUOTE]

[Leaving Windows 8.1 out as I see no incentive to not upgrade the OS as they are in it to the neck already]

Yes it is a challenge, but being that Windows 7 is in extended support only until 2020, I can’t say I blame Microsoft for this particular move as long as there is a rollup every month.

The move will free additional human resources to work on their current OS which is for the better. For the privacy minded Windows 7 users there will be more work of course, removing the unwanted parts manually, but that is not impossible. This move only removes the convenience that Windows 7 users have enjoyed thus far :wink:

Another way to try to force users to “upgrade” to windows 10. Guess I’ll just have to set my windows 7 systems not to check for or install updates at all.

[QUOTE=philamber;2779514]Another way to try to force users to “upgrade” to windows 10. Guess I’ll just have to set my windows 7 systems not to check for or install updates at all.[/QUOTE]

Such a move would probably amount to even more work than removing unwanted parts, manually patching security and vulnerabilities yourself. While even that is nowhere near impossible, it can not be recommended for the casual user as it would mean being vulnerable for most of them.

[QUOTE=Xercus;2779513][Leaving Windows 8.1 out as I see no incentive to not upgrade the OS as they are in it to the neck already][/QUOTE]
The point about Windows 8.1 is it has a full 7 years of support left, including 2 years of full mainstream support. 8.1 users not wanting to upgrade have a loooong time left.

[QUOTE=Xercus;2779513]
Yes it is a challenge, but being that Windows 7 is in extended support only until 2020, I can’t say I blame Microsoft for this particular move as long as there is a rollup every month.[/QUOTE]
I don’t blame Microsoft either for this move, but coming after so many stupid decisions concerning updates, their trust level is at an all time low and suspicion in their motives is at an all time high.

[QUOTE=Xercus;2779513]
The move will free additional human resources to work on their current OS which is for the better. For the privacy minded Windows 7 users there will be more work of course, removing the unwanted parts manually, but that is not impossible. This move only removes the convenience that Windows 7 users have enjoyed thus far ;)[/QUOTE]

I can’t see it making a huge difference to their human resources, if there are 10 patches for one month, we’d still get 10 patches. The difference is they are rolled into one pack and you can’t install or uninstall individual parts.

I’m also guessing this move merges Important and Optional updates into the same pack? That could be a huge amount more troubleshooting and testing for businesses that selectively install patches.