Microsoft making it harder to turn off Cortana

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Microsoft making it harder to turn off Cortana[newsimage]http://www.myce.com/wp-content/images_posts/2016/07/cortana-logo-1920-95x75.png[/newsimage]
[quote][/quote]
Read the full article here: http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-making-harder-turn-off-cortana-80060/

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Those fixes don’t seem to turn Cortana off at all. After disabling in Group Policy and a reboot 1 and sometimes 2 Cortana processes are still running in the background.

The real only way I’ve seen to turn it off is to delete the Cortana folder from C: Windows Systemapps.

^I don’t think you want to delete sections from Windows folders. Cortana services are apparently part of the search mechanism in Windows 10. The digital assistant is reliant on, but not entirely made up of those services.

I have disallowed SearchUI.exe on one system and renamed SearchUI in another install, both ways seem to make the start menu way quicker.
The Windows search has imo been crap (practically non-working state) since Vista, and so I don’t use it… I have my most commonly used shortcuts pinned to the taskbar and do not miss the [WinKey] + ‘start typing’ feature at all as I mostly use [WinKey]+[R]+‘type name of executable’. In the event I need to start the more seldom used programs, I can navigate a working start menu…

This is my current complete key for those wanting it, snapped out of Windows 10 Enterprise edition 1511

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search]
"AllowCortana"=dword:00000000
"AllowSearchToUseLocation"=dword:00000000
"ConnectedSearchSafeSearch"=dword:00000003
"ConnectedSearchUseWeb"=dword:00000000
"ConnectedSearchUseWebOverMeteredConnections"=dword:00000000
"DisableWebSearch"=dword:00000001

‘ConnectedSearchSafeSearch’ is filtering which comes into play if search is on and 3 means do not filter results. The rest sould be pretty self-explanatory.

Personally, I have the Windows search service disabled as well as Cortana and do not allow indexing of my drives as I need a working search, not one wasting more of my time searching a single folder than for example the freeware Everything spend indexing my entire system…

[QUOTE=Xercus;2778499]I have disallowed SearchUI.exe on one system and renamed SearchUI in another install, both ways seem to make the start menu way quicker.
The Windows search has imo been crap (practically non-working state) since Vista, and so I don’t use it… I have my most commonly used shortcuts pinned to the taskbar and do not miss the [WinKey] + ‘start typing’ feature at all as I mostly use [WinKey]+[R]+‘type name of executable’. In the event I need to start the more seldom used programs, I can navigate a working start menu…

This is my current complete key for those wanting it, snapped out of Windows 10 Enterprise edition 1511

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search]
"AllowCortana"=dword:00000000
"AllowSearchToUseLocation"=dword:00000000
"ConnectedSearchSafeSearch"=dword:00000003
"ConnectedSearchUseWeb"=dword:00000000
"ConnectedSearchUseWebOverMeteredConnections"=dword:00000000
"DisableWebSearch"=dword:00000001

‘ConnectedSearchSafeSearch’ is filtering which comes into play if search is on and 3 means do not filter results. The rest sould be pretty self-explanatory.

Personally, I have the Windows search service disabled as well as Cortana and do not allow indexing of my drives as I need a working search, not one wasting more of my time searching a single folder than for example the freeware Everything spend indexing my entire system…[/QUOTE]
You should make it a regedit file and Zip it so users can download and unzip and run it to install.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2778529]You should make it a regedit file and Zip it so users can download and unzip and run it to install.[/QUOTE]

sure, if need be…

Cortana_off.zip (391 Bytes)

A touch busy right now but these just went on my look over list, thank you.

[QUOTE=Xercus;2778530]sure, if need be…[/QUOTE]
Cool…bad part I don’t have WinX yet but when I need it I will have the regedit. Wonder what MS will do when people start using this regedit. :flower:

[QUOTE=roho;2778492]Those fixes don’t seem to turn Cortana off at all. After disabling in Group Policy and a reboot 1 and sometimes 2 Cortana processes are still running in the background.

The real only way I’ve seen to turn it off is to delete the Cortana folder from C: Windows Systemapps.[/QUOTE]

I wholeheartedly agree with Kerry56, you really should not go about manually uninstalling programs and features by simply deleting folders, especially not in the system folders.

Like I mention, I have personally renamed the SearchUI.exe program on one installation, but deleting is such a permanent way of getting you into trouble and leaves you no option to go back. If you really want to apply your ‘method’ and for your own good, please start renaming instead of deleting, at least that makes you able to boot off a USB or DVD and rename back if it does not work

Fwiw, I have seen a few who have used such solutions and they all have one thing in common… They needed help to get back on track and the worst, the one who used the same solution but indeed also used a registry cleaner to ‘finish the uninstall’ left me with no option but to re-install. :flower:

This will turn of Windows 10 user more and more. Does MS think this will win them new friends? Trust me here someone will find a Regedit or make a program to kill Cortana from turning on and MS will be flying off the hook on that. Remember all where there is a WILL there is a WAY and someone will find the way sooner then later if this continues.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2778568]This will turn of Windows 10 user more and more. Does MS think this will win them new friends? Trust me here someone will find a Regedit or make a program to kill Cortana from turning on and MS will be flying off the hook on that. Remember all where there is a WILL there is a WAY and someone will find the way sooner then later if this continues.[/QUOTE]

For the Swedish version of Win10 there is no Cortana. Only released in “important” markets. :sad:

[QUOTE=Gummigutta;2778603]For the Swedish version of Win10 there is no Cortana. Only released in “important” markets. :sad:[/QUOTE]

Consider yourself lucky. Cortana is great for users with special needs as you can talk to it as well but for ordinary users… Nah, pure bloatware just like Windows search has been ever since Windows XP.

Why people rely on the built in functions for searching from Vista and beyond I will never understand. Since I skipped Vista, I had it running for about a month in Windows 7 before turning it off, indexing of drives and all.
A function is an asset only as long as its pros outweighs its cons and since I am able to start an external search program, index my entire system and search in less time than the built-in search spend searching a single folder hierarchy, I find no incentive to have Windows search running at all times…

Guys, don’t forget the “Anniversary Update” that is supposedly due August 2nd (USA time) and is likely to remove any of your attempts to neuter the unwanted parts of the spy software called Windows 10. :Z

[QUOTE=biggles77;2778609]Guys, don’t forget the “Anniversary Update” that is supposedly due August 2nd (USA time) and is likely to remove any of your attempts to neuter the unwanted parts of the spy software called Windows 10. :Z[/QUOTE]

I’ll answer that on topic in this thread: http://club.myce.com/f94/more-unwelcome-changes-windows-10-pro-341920/

Microsoft is now listening in on your conversations no matter what you do… because apparently Microsoft is addicted to bad press. If Samsung is doing it, I guess Microsoft has to do the same. Heaven forbid someone should do a bad thing without Microsoft imitating them.