Microsoft makes Windows 7 ISOs available for download for free

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Microsoft makes Windows 7 ISOs available for download for free[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2014/12/myce-windows-7-95x75.jpg[/newsimage]

Microsoft has launched a new website where users with a valid license can download a full version of Windows 7.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-makes-windows-7-isos-available-download-free-75193/](http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-makes-windows-7-isos-available-download-free-75193/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I wonder if it comes with all the latest updates ?
There are over 200 since the original install of Windows 7 W/ SP1
Well over a gig the last time I did a clean install.

Finally, it only took Microsoft 15 years to do the obvious.Â

I wonder if it comes with all the latest updates ?
Â

I would say if you have unlimited internet. Download the ISO and check the MD5 and see if it matches those inside MSDN/Technet. I am guessing they should be identical versions to those to be honest. As in without patches.

[QUOTE=bean55;2748859]I wonder if it comes with all the latest updates ?
There are over 200 since the original install of Windows 7 W/ SP1
Well over a gig the last time I did a clean install.[/QUOTE]No they don’t unfortunately.

As this won’t work if you have a legitimate key from a sticker on your PC/laptop or even an purchased OEM version, what is the point? That’s what most people are going to have so only a small fraction of Windows 7 users can make any use of this page.

[QUOTE=roho;2748886]As this won’t work if you have a legitimate key from a sticker on your PC/laptop or even an purchased OEM version, what is the point? That’s what most people are going to have so only a small fraction of Windows 7 users can make any use of this page.[/QUOTE]

I agree, and would say “totally nuts” on the part of MS but no doubt their idea is to push-back onto all the OEMs to do THEIR PART in supporting their customers with DVDs or ISOs or whatever to recover their systems.

But of course even that would not help those of us nerds who buy OEM discs and build our own PCs…

:a

[B]Best of all…[/B]
… it’s not even a secure page where you enter your win key but they issue security patches every week, no!?

This is a good resource to check for solving issues with OEM licenses and retail ISOs:Â http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/

Digital River has been doing this for years.

I have never paid for the retail version of 7, as the only computers I own with 7 on them came with the OEM version pre-installed. Like most users, I’m left with only a stupid recovery HDD partition that helps me to wipe my HDD. This is the most rediculous method of fixing a broken Windows 7, as it dosn’t give a way to backup important files (granted, a user should be backing them up anyway), reduces the amount of HDD space a user could otherwise have devoted to said files, and leaves the users completely screwed if the HDD fails, or if the data is destroy by viruses, partition corruption, users who don’t know any better, etc.

Seriously, is it so hard to allow a user with an OEM installation to have a decent reinstallation method? I’ll bet if OEM reinstallation cds (actuall installation disks, not those “wipe everything, and lose your files” disks) were given to the users, the sky would NOT fall on them or Microsoft. Yet, the complete utter stupidity seems to persist.

I’ve used Digital River & didn’t have any problems.
I use Acronis & have had good results.
I usually use a current backup .
With Windows7 that is what I have but with Vista I sitill have an Acronis backup form out of the box. I never plan to use it though.
I long ago erased the "restore " partition for Vista.
I never had one for Windows 7.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2748991]Digital River has been doing this for years.[/QUOTE]

Not any more…

[QUOTE=olyteddy;2749005]Not any more…[/QUOTE]Your correct Microsoft took all digitial river windows 7 download links off line part of Microsofts way of pushing people to windows 8.1 then to windows 10 later this year.

Won’t work coz smart people burnt their digital river iso to DVD and install from it - MS won’t push anyone on their crappy new OS.

I was lucky enough to have downloaded a W7HP SP1 x64 iso from Digital River before they were pulled, and have learned since that this file does actually contain ALL of the W7 flavors on it, not just Home Premium. Though it is strictly 64-bit I think.

I needed to do a Repair Install recently and rather than use one of my OEM discs (which are pre-SP1) I wanted a newer version to use. Still took scores of downloads and hours of installing/rebooting for updates following the RI.

The Digital River links are dead. Your only legal choice is to go to their new site and enter in the product key. Unfortunately, it hasn’t worked for me so far. Once I got an error code saying that I would have to contact the manufacturer(it was a W7Pro key on a Dell desktop), and another time I entered a valid OEM W7Pro key and received absolutely nothing. No error message, nothing.

As far as W7HomePremium ISO working for all 64 bit flavors, I have discovered the hard way that a W7Pro 64 bit key will not work with a W7Home Premium installation ISO downloaded from DRivers.

Yes, if you burned a DVD you are ok, for now. But, as I discovered, once your installation DVD gets too many scratches and/or fingerprints, you won’t be able to install. I was fortunate enough to make a USB installer key with W7HomePrem 64 bit ISO on it using Rufus before the MSoft takedown of Digital Rivers. Unfortunately I did not do the same for W7Pro. I’m going to try a W7Pro ISO from a buddy of mine, but if that doesn’t work to make a valid installer key, then I’m stuck either using the DVD until it wears out or using a torrent copy(not my favorite either). This is such b.s. All they are trying to do is hasten the adaption of W10 so they don’t have another XP on their hands.

BTW, I actually sold a laptop with Win7 to someone who was still using XP. I got some questions about admin rights today, and the guy eventually admitted he didn’t know what he was doing. And this was a kid in his 20’s, not some old fart like BMike.

As far as W7HomePremium ISO working for all 64 bit flavors, I have discovered the hard way that a W7Pro 64 bit key will not work with a W7Home Premium installation ISO downloaded from DRivers.Â
A Win7 Pro key will not work if you try to install Home Premium, but it WILL work to install Pro from a Home Premium DVD/ISO. But first you have to delete a tiny file on the ISO called ei.cfg to be able to see the Basic, Pro and Ultimate versions during install.

That’s right roho, and further:

[QUOTE=yojimbo197;2749171]The Digital River links are dead. Your only legal choice is to go to their new site and enter in the product key. Unfortunately, it hasn’t worked for me so far. Once I got an error code saying that I would have to contact the manufacturer(it was a W7Pro key on a Dell desktop), and another time I entered a valid OEM W7Pro key and received absolutely nothing. No error message, nothing.[/QUOTE]

Of course, because the MS site is for retail keys only, and both of these are OEM.

That wasn’t clearly spelled out on Microsoft’s website, if you only read the main body text. It was one sentence off to the side in one of those stupid tiles they love. Did I miss it? Yes. Should it have been included in the main body of the text, yes.

However, the main point is that I disagree with this retail only copies being allowed to download ISO… It sucks, plain and simple. And its hypocritical, given that anyone with Windows 7(except for the enterprise versions) can update to Windows 10 for free the first year that W10 is out. So I can get the newest operating system that I didn’t pay for, yet not an OS that I did pay for already and have a valid key?

I’m going to give an image extractor program a try so I can take my DVD ISO of W7Pro and put it on a couple of hard drives and flash drives. As usual, MS makes things more of a PITA.