Microsoft leaks Internet Explorer 9 screenshot

vbimport

Microsoft leaks Internet Explorer 9 screenshot.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2010/08/FAY4ho.png[/newsimage]Microsoft's Russian branch publicly posted a screenshot of the new Internet Explorer 9 user interface, with a look into what users can expect as Microsoft tries to steal some of its lost marketshare back from rivals.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-leaks-ie9-user-interface-screenshot-33705/](http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-leaks-ie9-user-interface-screenshot-33705/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I might try Internet Exploder 9 if they made an open source Linux version

There was a Unix version of IE 5 a long time ago.

Whattaya know? IE is still playing catchup to the other browsers and biting their features.

Since in all likelihood they will GIVE it away my only real question is what sort of legacy OS support will it offer…

No doubt it’ll be offered for Win7, and likely Vista as well…

But what about XP?

AD

No Win XP I’ve heard…

[QUOTE=RTV71;2540753]There was a Unix version of IE 5 a long time ago.[/QUOTE] I don’t remember if it was IE5 or an even earlier version, but I tested Internet Explorer for Sun Solaris (which is a Unix OS) a long time ago, and it was a stinking pile of fecal matter. IIRC this was at a time when Microsoft was pressured into making IE a multi-platform tool.

I’m sure they will support Windows XP, unless they haven’t learned from their last mistake where Microsoft included Windows Genuine Advantage validation in Internet Explorer 8, only to later pull this restriction when pirated Windows users were switching to rival browsers.

I don’t think they will repeat this mistake by excluding Windows XP support, as I’m sure there are more people running Windows XP now than there were users running pirated Windows installations at the time Microsoft released IE8 with the WGA validation check.

For example, if you’re running Windows XP, would you be prepared to fork out on Windows 7, maybe a hardware upgrade and not to mention a clean OS installation just to get that all-new shiny IE9 browser installed? :smiley:

At this stage, I’m happy with Firefox and Google Chrome. :iagree:

[QUOTE=Seán;2540930]I’m sure they will support Windows XP, [/QUOTE]No,

http://ie.microsoft.com/testdrive/info/FrequentlyAskedQuestions/Default.html

Q. Does Platform Preview run on Windows XP?
A. No. Internet Explorer 9’s GPU-powered graphics take advantage of new technologies available in Windows 7 and back-ported only to Windows Vista. These technologies depend on advancements in the display driver model introduced first in Windows Vista.

Mcihael

I could care less about XP support. People running a 10 year old OS probably aren’t going to upgrade to IE 9 anyway.

There are an awful lot of “legacy” computers running XP out there…

I doubt that XP users have dropped to less than half of the Microsoft
OS users yet.

But frankly Microsoft hasn’t learned from many of their past mistakes why
should anyone expect them to learned from any new ones?

Your comment on XP being a ten year old OS… learn to count or please keep
your hands away from your keyboard.

XP was intro’ed in 2003, it is 2010, that’s SEVEN years or is “seven”
“the new ten” in some bizarre logic that I DO NOT want you to try to explain?

Even windows 2000 is barely “a ten year old OS”, because it was introduced
LATE because they are having “issues” with it.

MANY computers out there cannot be upgraded to Win7 and “upgrading” to
Vista is no upgrade at all…

And if you wish to speak disparagingly of people who cannot afford the newest
and fastest computer to run the newest and fastest spying bloatware from MS…?

OR suggest running an “alternative OS” that frankly isn’t ready for the average
"computer appliance" market strongly refrain from doing either.

AD

[QUOTE=AllanDeGroot;2540952]XP was intro’ed in 2003, it is 2010, that’s SEVEN years or is “seven”
“the new ten” in some bizarre logic that I DO NOT want you to try to explain?[/QUOTE] Actually, Windows XP was released in 2001. The HP notebook I got around August/September 2001 came with Windows 2000 and with a mail-in free upgrade to Windows XP. Wikipedia confirms 2001 as the release year for Windows XP.

So Windows XP is a 9-year old operating system.

[QUOTE=AllanDeGroot;2540952]Your comment on XP being a ten year old OS… learn to count or please keep
your hands away from your keyboard.[/QUOTE] Perhaps you should follow your own advice?! :wink:

[QUOTE=Im a PC;2540948]I could care less about XP support. People running a 10 year old OS probably aren’t going to upgrade to IE 9 anyway.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I see, you don’t care, so I guess everyone in the world should drink the OS upgrade koolaid, because you don’t care.

Are the tabs to the right of the address bar? that isn’t going to leave a lot of room for tabs…

[QUOTE=Transmatrix;2541103]Are the tabs to the right of the address bar? that isn’t going to leave a lot of room for tabs…[/QUOTE]well, there isn’t any real user interface yet. It’s a technology preview, and not even some sort of pre-alpha.

Michael

Yeah, this IE9 does look rather interesting but I still would not go back to using it.:disagree:

[QUOTE=lessjames;2541322]Yeah, this IE9 does look rather interesting but I still would not go back to using it.:disagree:[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately that last statement wont hold water as it will still be used regardless if one doesn’t want to as the web site or webmasters will write their sites to either FF or IE and so you will be forced to use one or the other to make the feature your using to work. I myself will believe when I see it release and start using it to judge how it really looks and feel and work and browse the net.

EXACTLY the website designers will upgrade their sites and sunset support for the older browser versions.

Frankly that was what pried me (screaming & Kicking) away from Win 2k and IE6

Newer isn’t necissarily better unless someone takes the extra effort to make "obsolete"
also “non-functional”

What bugs me isn’t “change”, but the [I]rate[/I] of change… and it’s still accelerating.

I don’t mind it when HDD size grows by an order of magnitude
every two to three years, but the idea that we need a new
OS and browser very other year is rediculous.

And frankly I think it’s all the fault of all you “Early adopters” out there… you are willing to spend the money that corporate greed is after… and the rest of us get dragged along behind you…

AD

IE? Who cares?

[QUOTE=redback5;2544228]IE? Who cares?[/QUOTE]

The 603,720,000 people that currently use it, give or take a few. :wink:

Plus IE9 is part of the massive shift towards HTML5 and the race to see who can produce the most effective HTML5 browser has only just started.

[B]Wombler[/B]