Microsoft is slowly rolling out Anniversary update – here’s how to get it now

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Microsoft is slowly rolling out Anniversary update – here’s how to get it now[newsimage]http://www.myce.com/wp-content/images_posts/2016/08/updateInstalling-1024x455-95x75.png[/newsimage]

Microsoft is currently gradually rolling out the Anniversary update for Windows 10 to users around the world. Users that don’t want to wait can update right now by downloading a 5MB installer from the Microsoft website.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-slowly-rolling-anniversary-update-heres-get-now-80124/](http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-slowly-rolling-anniversary-update-heres-get-now-80124/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I do not have any installs with the home edition, but I did use the tool for my Windows 10 Professional edition test computer and it only took about 20 minutes from start to finish, a smooth process without complications of any kind :slight_smile:

Now I had to check of course and so I ran the tool on my main Windows 10 computer which has the Enterprise edition installed, but that didn’t go too well:

In other words, unless they change it and offer it through Windows update in a while like they did with the 1511 release in March (I think that was when my first ‘left behind’ VM with the original Windows 10 edition got the upgrade), you will have do do the upgrade by downloading the Enterprise image through your Microsoft channel…

As I mentioned in this thread, Fort Knox, the Enterprise edition has just been upgraded.
This is in reality just a humorous name for my main hobby computer where I take security and privacy to the extreme. In other words, no free phoning home for any program or OS, everything is on a strictly need be basis only.

First of all, let me extend a thank you to Microsoft for not making my firewall rules FUBAR again like the 1511 release. Impressive, not even one change.
First boot however reveals that svchost.exe needs two more rules, port 53 DNS and port 68 DHCP which is OK, it is not where it is controlled. That is so far the only thing I’ve noticed. Oh, and that dang searchindexer.exe became active again and subsequently had its head chopped off :bigsmile:

Now, most of you do not know this, but this specific computer has more than 2200 programs and utilities on it and the upgrade went smooth! Nothing like 1511 at all where I had to battle various stuff for a couple of days. This time, even the old games from 1997 and 1998 runs smoothly. That is impressive :bigsmile:

Edit:
It is the same mumbo jumbo with default programs and disabled services and so you will have to go through it. Furthermore it thought I needed to have a few more protocols activated for my network card, go figure :wink:

Large correction to the above… It did make my firewall rules FUBAR. Basically it removed everything windows! Probably in an effort to have me reinstate the default config. I back them up at least once a week and so I did a restore.

I’ll continue in this thread to not take this too off topic.

[QUOTE=Xercus;2778889]Large correction to the above… It did make my firewall rules FUBAR. Basically it removed everything windows! Probably in an effort to have me reinstate the default config. I back them up at least once a week and so I did a restore.[/QUOTE]

The anniversary update indeed killed a lot of the protections i had taken. Fortunately they were easily applied again.