Microsoft is going to change the start menu again and wants feedback

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Microsoft is going to change the start menu again and wants feedback[newsimage]http://www.myce.com/wp-content/images_posts/2016/04/0xhINZhHiMC-O4-95x75.jpg[/newsimage]

Windows 10 will receive some cosmetic updates this summer and Microsoft today shared some details on the new start menu and start screen.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-going-change-start-menu-wants-feedback-79045/](http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-going-change-start-menu-wants-feedback-79045/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Bleah.Â

Not that I normally use the All Apps control. Clicking on the Start button and typing the name of the program gets me there faster.

Windows 10 will receive some cosmetic updates this summer and Microsoft today shared some details on the new start menu and start screen. This summer will mark the release of the Windows 10 Anniversary Update and Microsoft is looking for some feedback of its Insider Program participants. The planned ‘Redmond’ update is expected for 2017 and promises only some small changes to the login system and the start menu.
Really…I could’ve told them this on Windows 8 debacle already…but no did they listen to Tester and Beta Testers… NO. It was we know what is right and you take it up where the sun don’t shine. And now they come and say oh will want feedback? What happend to all those feedbacks in the past they didn’t listen to - to begin with??? I doubt they want to listen…

^probably not.

While I totally agree with Kerry on this, I simply can’t see why they don’t present two frameworks for that pesky menu. one for tablet mode and one for general ‘mouse’ use - both skinnable so I can get my old Windows 7 menu back, thank you.

They must have a ton of feedback about the Start Menu, and still they don’t believe it, now they want more and it will be the same as before…
Bring back the Windows 7 Menu…for those that want it
I don’t know why they want customer feedback, wouldn’t they just have telemetry data tell them how many copies of the other “Start Menu” programs have been installed, or don’t they believe that data either…

Sounds like PR again, to give the impression of being responsive. It’s hard to believe this time will be any different. MS has painted itself into a corner with the whole Start Menu issue and is seeing the results of pushing unpopular changes onto users. Let it play these games. I’m finished at Windows 7 and am using Linux Mint for more productivity than originally expected. It’s possible I’ll be entirely off of Windows before too long. :iagree:

I will stick to Classic Shell, unless Microsoft re-invent a usable start menu again. This however seems to be unlikely so I will stay with the classic layout that works for me since Windows 95 :iagree:

[QUOTE=Liggy;2771582]I will stick to Classic Shell, unless Microsoft re-invent a usable start menu again. This however seems to be unlikely so I will stay with the classic layout that works for me since Windows 95 :iagree:[/QUOTE]
I think you may hold the ‘world opinion’ in this respect. I hardly ever install a computer and leave the default start menu untouched. Fun part is that if I do, revisiting that computer, the start menu is usually no longer default…

I am amazed at how incredibly, blind first, stupid second M$ has been in this case. Enough years has gone by now to say that NO, people won’t get used to it, they simply don’t like it as it is an inferior product to, as you say, the menu introduced in Windows 95 :Z

[QUOTE=Liggy;2771582]I will stick to Classic Shell, unless Microsoft re-invent a usable start menu again. This however seems to be unlikely so I will stay with the classic layout that works for me since Windows 95 :iagree:[/QUOTE]
The Windows 7 Start Menu as I use it now was the best evolved version so far and MS asking for FeedBack when they already know the response already is just making it seem like they are listening when they never listened in the first place to the Tester and Preview Tester Feedback already tells they don’t listen.

:iagree: Classic Shell is wonderful!

For me, it completely transforms Windows 8/8.1 and I couldn’t live without it. I use its Windows 7 style start menu, but it is nice to have the option of the older type. The Windows 8 start menu can make some sense on a tablet, but the Windows 10 one is neither one thing or another. As far as I can see its only purpose is to push content into the faces of users, whether they want it or not.

Feedback for Microsoft? Simple - stop [U]now[/U] before it is too late.

Just about everything you have done with Windows 10 is wrong, wrong, wrong. :a

Even the basic aesthetics are hideous and look like they’ve come from an early smartphone.

Go back to Windows 8.1 and tweak the UI. Put all of the settings back where they should be. Vista & 7 were bad enough, but having to switch between two fundamentally different interfaces - desktop and tablet - looking for a simple on/off switch is unacceptable. And give us a choice of start menu. That could be released as Windows 8.5, with a free upgrade for all - but one with a serial number & proper statement of entitlement & usage rights.

Now that the hardware has significantly improved (and crucially is now based on Intel x86/x64 & compatibles) Windows undoubtedly has a place on tablets - but never at the expense of desktops. So Windows 9 should have an [I]optional[/I] tablet mode, with a settings screen which [I][U]duplicates[/U][/I] the commonest settings pages and (if the user choses to use it) a development of the Windows 8 start screen.

This [I]shouldn’t[/I] be too difficult to do. A GUI should sit on top of the operating system, not have its tentacles embedded deep into the core code. If Microsoft has cut corners, done a bodge job and violated this long-established principle, then its dream of Windows on phones, tablets, televisions & fridges will never happen. A good, usable, universal UI for all devices is impossible.

As for the spyware… obviously that is unacceptable under any circumstances! If you really thought that was a good idea, then there truly is no hope and we should all jump ship to Linux immediately.

(Apple & OSX as an alternative? Don’t make me laugh. Who do you think Microsoft was trying to copy?)

Always install Classic shell as soon as i run up a PC…

[QUOTE=paulw2;2771613]Always install Classic shell as soon as i run up a PC…[/QUOTE]
Why do that when Windows 7 start menu already exists…And alot of people are looking for Window 7 Genuine Start Menu as well.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2771784]Why do that when Windows 7 start menu already exists…And alot of people are looking for Window 7 Genuine Start Menu as well.[/QUOTE]

Hmm, never looked into it, but what are the chances of grabbing the genuine Windows 7 start menu and patching it in Windows 8/10 or is it hardcoded into Explorer and need to be attacked by reverse engineering?

I did port desktop gadgets through a manual process as I got only too many questions about it. Later Gadgets Revived did a more thorough job reviving the desktop-gadgets for use with Windows 8, but also works in Windows 10. The installer here is complete with support for all Windows 8 languages built into the installer.
It would be fun with the same done for the start-menu as a ‘up yours’ to M$ :iagree:

[QUOTE=Xercus;2771811]Hmm, never looked into it, but what are the chances of grabbing the genuine Windows 7 start menu and patching it in Windows 8/10 or is it hardcoded into Explorer and need to be attacked by reverse engineering?

I did port desktop gadgets through a manual process as I got only too many questions about it. Later Gadgets Revived did a more thorough job reviving the desktop-gadgets for use with Windows 8, but also works in Windows 10. The installer here is complete with support for all Windows 8 languages built into the installer.
It would be fun with the same done for the start-menu as a ‘up yours’ to M$ :iagree:[/QUOTE]
No saying the last usable Start Menu ended with Windows 7 and it was more then grown up with Windows 7. All the FB now the M$ wants one has to asked why didn’t you not listened to the FIRST FEEDBACK that preview users/testers sent as what should be rather then now coming back to do a so called FB again. The only reason why they are doing this now because of the poor Windows 10 sales that is why. They will not admit this is the reason why. But I know with gut feeling that is the main culprit they thought they could RAM ROD down Windows 10 and found otherwise. They lost people to Linux and people searching to force Windows 7 back onto Windows 10 machine that is why they are running scared now. If they had a brain cell worth they stop this childish game they are playing and do the right way but that is far to easy to do so they won’t.

Me: I’m looking for feedback on my idea of my new formula for Coca-Cola. What do you think?

Customer: I don’t like it. I’ll stick with the original.

Me: What? You don’t like it? I guess your feedback doesn’t count. If anyone asks, I’ll pretend you were never here.

Good news everybody! Every one of my customers likes New Coke! It will surely be a smashing success! Future generations will talk about how great the product is. Inevitably, every store that sells our products will be sold out mere moments after receiving a fresh shipment. No more having to worry about GNU/Linux Pepsi being a better competitor anymore!

[QUOTE=TSJnachos117;2772192]Me: I’m looking for feedback on my idea of my new formula for Coca-Cola. What do you think?

Customer: I don’t like it. I’ll stick with the original.

Me: What? You don’t like it? I guess your feedback doesn’t count. If anyone asks, I’ll pretend you were never here.

Good news everybody! Every one of my customers likes New Coke! It will surely be a smashing success! Future generations will talk about how great the product is. Inevitably, every store that sells our products will be sold out mere moments after receiving a fresh shipment. No more having to worry about GNU/Linux Pepsi being a better competitor anymore![/QUOTE]Good one… lmao… :clap::clap::bigsmile:

Right now … I’m super-imposing Microsoft Windows X & Linux Mint over the (original) Starwars universe (A new hope) … guess which operating system plays the villain?

Hint: Microsoft is the Emperor.

It’s all going to blow up in their face(s) at some point …

Bought one of the last high end 7’s, to ride the storm out. You can keep 7 if you want, it’s just that as of now, you can usually only get a pro version on a pumped up machine. Update validity terms are still not set, likely due to such widespread feedback as is indicated by the posters in this thread. Still though, the issues with compattelrunner, questions of what the telemetry is doing, and constant nagware and quote unquote spy patches, those questions remain unanswered. So even if you can avoid the nag, you still deal with unexpected process drain and unrequested services which you constantly have to monitor like a nanny watching a problem child who won’t listen. Such is the illustration of the current ethic behind the programmers, or specifically; the lack of such ethic as a normal end user may expect. The customer is always right. Strike that, the customer is always naggable. Unlike the rest, I’m not ready to switch because the 7 and xp before it, are so easy for work functions and quick reactions to the net. Well they were, until pageloads started draining all my browser time. I’ll never understand why the general state of net providers constantly drills us with this mantra and idea that it’s just too expensive and complicated to use this net, so they’ll need to charge more and charge per diem. Drop the page loads, run constantly with all ad and flash blockers, deny the CEIP and ten million other opt out and admin settings to force logging and drop unrequested connections. 7 is a lot of work. The ability to customize the 7 menu is irreplaceable though. Stacking or cascading usage plates, convenient quick icon indicators in multiple option locations, customizing bar locations, customizing menu tree access or bouncing to folder access via your personal setting choices, 1 click options, a nice open desktop clean and mean with small text setting option for the screen, and the list goes on. I can’t handle tiles and symbols, because I’m a utilitarian PC user and I have no interest or need in cross platform device capability. And just like how MS removed the user friendly themes from the 360, they’ve now turned the One into an advertisement rich environment where all user actions lead to more purchase opportunity. You understand that’s what this is all about right? Redirecting user habits towards more consumerism and less inventive use of the system is one part. The other regards the tile and button nonsense, to get that cross platform capability with mobile the easy way without having to dive into each individual existing windows process and apply successful recoding or whatever needs to be done. The win10 menu is explained quite simply as being cross platform ready and they pressed the easy button to get there based on their own personal ethics regarding consumer treatment. Please don’t mistake me for actually knowing what I’m talking about, because I’m just parroting some of Leonhard’s articles on removing the nagware. LOL, you learn a lot about your operating system processes when you look into menu operations and nagware. Remarkable.

[QUOTE=nobodyanon;2772858]LOL, you learn a lot about your operating system processes when you look into menu operations and nagware. Remarkable.[/QUOTE]That’s not the problem users want to power one and start using not have to relearn again and again. That is the problem here. M$ hasn’t learned it’s lesson about what made Windows 7 staying power. And til they learn that nothing for O/S Feedback will work. We only have so much time to do this and that and a O/S problem doesn’t help.