Microsoft gears up for Windows 8 launch, although Windows 7 still doesn't dominate

vbimport

Microsoft gears up for Windows 8 launch, although Windows 7 still doesn’t dominate.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2012/01/vrLDiS.jpg[/newsimage]Barring the poorly-received Windows Vista, Microsoft's operating systems typically enjoy significant usage rates even as new iterations are released. Based on new statistics, the 10-year-old Windows XP is no different, holding a nine-point lead over new kid on the block Windows 7 in the desktop OS market. The latter could grab the top spot in 2012, however.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-gears-up-for-windows-8-launch-although-windows-7-still-doesnt-dominate-56695/](http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-gears-up-for-windows-8-launch-although-windows-7-still-doesnt-dominate-56695/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I might wait until windows 9 to upgrade any PC’s that can’t come with windows 7.
Windows 8 is just … Embarassassing.

Anyone notice that it takes 2 tries for M$ to get anything … Decently usable??

[QUOTE=debro;2617760]I might wait until windows 9 to upgrade any PC’s that can’t come with windows 7.
Windows 8 is just … Embarassassing.

Anyone notice that it takes 2 tries for M$ to get anything … Decently usable??[/QUOTE]
I kind of like it myself, and we really haven’t seen what it will really be, yet. It’s just a developers’ preview, you know.

I myself will be passing on Windows 8 and will just stick with Windows 7.

I have been using the Developer’s Edition for about a month now. Certainly is different, but not bad. I expect that it will gain users in the consumer’s market, but that businesses that are running Windows 7 will not see any benefits. Even those running XP might still go to Windows 7 as a proven and stable release that is more suitable to their needs.

The major benefit I see from it is if you use a touchscreen. Other then that Win 7 would probably fill the needs for most for quite some time.

Personally speaking I’m more than happy with Windows 7 at present and have no need to change for the time being.

[B]Wombler[/B]

I’m running Win7 on both of my primary computers.

My primary desktop a C2Q machine runs 64bit Pro, and I just
installed 64bit Home premium on my Notebook.

I had been running 32bit Ultimate on my notebook, but in the year I’ve had it set-up that way there were some repetitive bugs with Media player and an inability to get full Bluetooth functionality.

Getting bored over the new years weekend led me to dig out an empty
notebook drive and run 7HomePrem x64 onto the computer and bluetooth
actually worked correctly without any effort at all, so tuesday morning playing with it revealed that the Windows Explorer file management bug that mostly affected library management in explorer didn’t exsist with the new installation I “Activated” the installation and "burned my bridges behind me "by cloning over my 32bit ultimate installation with a back-up copy of the 64bit Home.

Last month I set my 76 year old father up with a dual-core Windows 7 machine and over newyears I finally succumed to his constant carping & whining about wanting XP back and simply handed him a system drive with a complete XP-Pro setup for that particular machine
(I already had it I just wanted him to live with windows 7 for a month)

I’ve downloaded all the versions of Windows 8 but have not gotten further than burning the 64bit version to a DVD+R disc.

But being honest I fully expect Windows 8 to be “less than optimal” as I’m well aware that has a track record of M$ only getting it “right” every other time.

But to the real point that has relevance to this topic it has taken nearly years to get completely used to Windows 7 and get most of my machines properly set up running it I’m in no rush to “Early adopt” something else unless there is some significant feature or functionality that I’ve just “got to have”

I am NOT one of those lemming like “Early adopters” that just HAS TO HAVE the newest thing (whatever it is) purely to impress my friends or just to have it.

Frankly I didn’t adopt windows 7 until I saw ALL of my favorite applications running correctly in win7.

I’ll be honest in saying that was dragged screaming and kicking from Windows 2000, by force of the browsers that would run in W2K
having their support by websites dropped. THAT was what forced me to go to XP, my shifting onwards from XP was about not wanting to go through that again on anyone’s scheduel but my own.

So when a new IE cam out that was NOT supported in XP
I started looking for another chair, because I don’t want to
be the one without a seat when the music stops.

I’m neither a “Stick in the mud” nor an “early adopter”.
But I like to keep my amused detachment intact for watching
either group… from a discrete distance.

But from my point of view I just changed and I don’t want to start doing it again quite so fast, I strongly suspect most other people feel the same way.

Win 8 is more for the Tablet crowd from what I have played with so far. I will be staying with Win 7

MS has a defined roadmap.
Consumer versions of Windows 7 (includes Ultimate) will stop receiving support (including updates) in 2015, only one year after the end of support for XP.

The long life of XP Home was not intended and only due to the netbook hype, where Vista was too bloated.

Michael
P.S.: Mainstream support for Vista Ultimate ends in April this year. Extended support is offered for the Business versions (end 2017)

MS pushed back the support for XP a couple of times. If windows 7 turns out to be popular, and there’s demand, they’ll also push back the support dates.

I think up until windows XP, I was always one of the first to try out a new OS. XP sort of demonstrated that you don’t need a new OS every couple of years. XP was a powerhouse and was pretty dominant for about 10 years. I think that was unprecidented.

I never cared for Vista, but I really like Windows 7. It just feels like i’ve gotten used to it, I don’t really want to switch to a new OS already.

Also from what I see about windows 8, is that it looks like a tabel OS, and not a windows desktop.

Which is cool if I was running a tablet. I still like running my desktop as a windows interface, so hopefully they don’t ditch that. I suppose they could make different versions. Windows 8 PC, Windows 8 Tablet etc…

But yah I think its still too soon. Alot of people aren’t even using windows 7 yet, and those of us that are, just got used to it.

Is there really a need to r and d an OS for ever 2-4 years? Maybe plan out longer lifecycles and better OS’s?

[QUOTE=Wombler;2617841]Personally speaking I’m more than happy with Windows 7 at present and have no need to change for the time being.

[B]Wombler[/B][/QUOTE]

Couldn’t agree more with you…ever since I tried the W7 eval when they had it and never looked back…as for W8 that is a joke…I would go with W9 or better WindowsX to compete as a Mac O/S lol…Now wouldn’t a WX aka WindowsX O/S sounds good…

[QUOTE=debro;2617760]
Anyone notice that it takes 2 tries for M$ to get anything … Decently usable??[/QUOTE]

That a understatement considering M$ track record on how they produce a decent O/S …

[QUOTE=Zod;2617933]
Is there really a need to r and d an OS for ever 2-4 years?[/quote]This is the business model of software companies who depend on selling software.

Maybe plan out longer lifecycles and better OS’s?
Together with a service plan with an annual fee perhaps. Or do like Apple and sell the Service Packs instead of giving them for free.

Michael

Isn’t it funny… Just bought a new laptop. It runs W7. And now I see W8 is coming this year… Ho, ho.

Am I the only one in the world that only changes OS when the hardware starts dying in my arms? From pre DOS to 3.1, to W98, to XP and just this week W7.

I don’t think I missed anything. Hopefully my new laptop will last for another 10 yrs and my next OS will be W900.

I know I am replacing my desktop with a laptop next month. Now if I get a free upgrade to Windows 8 like they did from XP to Vista I’ll take it. as I like the ideal of apps rather than opening an application to see if there is any new mail or tweets and such. I really don’t care about the touch screen aspect but voice recognition on some apps is another nice feature too.