Microsoft fixes critical security issue for Internet Explorer next Tuesday

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Microsoft fixes critical security issue for Internet Explorer next Tuesday[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2013/02/Microsoft-Thumbnail.png[/newsimage]

Microsoft will release four new security updates next Tuesday.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-fixes-critical-security-issue-for-internet-explorer-next-tuesday-72604](http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-fixes-critical-security-issue-for-internet-explorer-next-tuesday-72604)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

When they say that only windows 8 & 8.1 are patched for the vulnerability, is it because only windows 8/8.1 are affected, or because they’ve already ditched support for their OS with the largest market share?

Idk so I’m asking does W8/8.1 use a newer version of IE that W7 & older can’t use ?

Vista support is becoming less but W7 should still be getting full support .
AND when has MS ever treated customers wrong ? :bigsmile:

@cholla: When Windows 8 was originally released, it introduced IE 11, which had both a new Metro and the old desktop UI, and it was not compatible with Windows 7. Microsoft later came out with a modified version of IE 11 for Windows 7 that had some modified code and did not contain the Metro UI.

@ BradWright , Thanks I have IE 11 on my W7 .
I wonder if MS needs to do the same updates for it.
It’s not too critical because I only use IE when I absolutely have to.

DoMIN8ToR, you can please put this in the proper thread or start a new on for me. Ok guys, “Old DumbAss” here. I know that a lot maybe even most user don’t like IE. I do, BUT I am loosing confindence in it. I know there are Mozella users, Opera users, FireFox user, and probley others. can anyone give me an Objective, “and in Plain DumbAss” language of the best one to go to. Remember I do have a 30 year old BS in computers(not completely illiterate). and I will also have to train my wife( completely illiterate) Thank you all, but please no pissing contest.

Marty

Hey Marty. I was a long time mostly IE user .
When they had the major security problem a few months back I decided to switch to Opera which I had used as a backup browser .
As I used Opera some I decided to try Opera Next which is a Google Chrome knock off with Opera’s security pluses.
It is my understanding that Opera & Opera Next don’t use Active X.
So I’m using Opera Next V 24 on my Vista & W7 64 bit.
I’m using Opera V 12 on my XP Pro & XP home OSs.
It’s different than IE but I picked it up fairly quick .
Having used it at times before helped.
If I trusted IE more I might switch back . The one thing that I really don’t like about IE is MS’s fault . For example why can’t Vista use IE 11 except MS decided it couldn’t . Or why XP is stoped at IE 8.
So I’m giving Opera Next a recommendation as a good & what I consider safe browser. I won’t say it is the best but I like it better than the others I’ve tried.
I tried FireFox a while back but I don’t like it like some people do.
Some people are die hard supporters of FF so it must work in a way they like.
I tried Google Chrome but I didn’t like it . I just couldn’t get comfortable with it.
I’ve seen a few others recommended over the years I don’t know if any of those are still around . I didn’t try them.
That’s my 2 cents. I hope it helps .

I use the 1 which suits me best @ the moment…sometimes it’s Firefox and sometimes it’s IE…:iagree:
But 1 thing they have in common : I both use them on a registered version of SANDBOXIE:bow::bow:
I don’t have to wait for patches,or for fixing vulnerabilities as SandBoxie catches everything…:bigsmile::clap:

Thanks Cholla and RW for the input, guess I will start downloading and try them. I really do hate having to change but guess OLD DOGS can learn if “enticed with sugar”

Marty

I don’t have Sandboxie like roadworker.
He recommended Shadow Defender when it was free for a couple of days.
I’ve been using it some of the time.
I will let RW make a comparison but I think the protection is similar.

If you like “Privacy Mode” Opera has one. Upper left corner select “new private window”.

Thanks, Just D/L’ed Right now scarry, No Fav. RoboForm (password maker) not working with it. Will suggest that

Marty

@ Marty , I didn’t think you were going to jump on a new browser so fast.
I searched on Google & it seems roboform worked with older versions of Opera.
I think v 11 on back.
You might want to look at this for the Opera you want there are 3 types.
Opera stable
Opera Next = beta
Opera developer = alpha

Well I went with NEXT. I will go back to Opera and learn that as I go along. it will be hard to give up IE IF I DO

Marty

I haven’t had any problems with Next.
I keep my security settings pretty tight.
I suggest you look the security settings over.

I still miss using IE as well.
I was very used to it & comfortable with it.
I just consider IE a security risk now.

I’m getting more used to Opera all the time.

[QUOTE=cholla;2736362]I don’t have Sandboxie like roadworker.
He recommended Shadow Defender when it was free for a couple of days.
I’ve been using it some of the time.
I will let RW make a comparison but I think the protection is similar.
[/QUOTE]

Shadow Defender is system-wide light virtualization,which means nothing gets on disk,after reboot everything you added,updated or downloaded is gone from the protected partition…if you don’t commit the changes before the reboot…
SandBoxie is an app virtualization container,you can specify which apps have to run through it,and you can keep everything in the container or choose to delete…but nothing can be committed to the real system…
I have both installed,for different purpose,but my browsers run 98% of time in SandBoxie…no cookies,temp files,malware or other rubbish in my browsers’ folders…:disagree:

Thanks roadworker for the explanation of the difference.
That means with Sandboxie you need to take the browser out of it to download something ?

@ Marty , You can install both Opera stable & Opera Next both will run.
That may be one more browser than you like to have .
I just wanted you to know that it works .
I have a v 12 of Opera stable installed on Vista . I could go newer but this is the last version before the change to the Chrome type interface. I don’t use it much now. It is some more like IE . My main Vista browser is Opera Next though.

Thanks Cholla and RW. just added stable. all I need to do now is use them and try to get use to them

Marty

[QUOTE=cholla;2736399]
That means with Sandboxie you need to take the browser out of it to download something ?[/QUOTE]

nope…when you download something,SandBoxie will give you the choice to recuperate the file or to disregard it…:clap: