Microsoft extends Windows 10 support with a year

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Microsoft extends Windows 10 support with a year[newsimage]http://www.myce.com/wp-content/images_posts/2015/07/windows10-laptop-95x75.png[/newsimage]

Microsoft’s Support Lifecycle page shows that the company has extended support for Windows 10 with a year. The additional year of support appears to come together with the launch of the Windows 10 Anniversary Update.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-extends-windows-10-support-year-80166/](http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-extends-windows-10-support-year-80166/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Why am I not surprised :Z

I honestly hoped we had seen the last of this shit (mind my language), but this force feeding Windows 10 makes me downright angry and this move will most probably extend the whole circus for yet another year… And NO, Windows 10 is no savior of our times, it is simply another OS :frowning:

[QUOTE=Xercus;2779144]Why am I not surprised :Z

I honestly hoped we had seen the last of this shit (mind my language), but this force feeding Windows 10 makes me downright angry and this move will most probably extend the whole circus for yet another year… And NO, Windows 10 is no savior of our times, it is simply another OS :([/QUOTE]

I think you might have misunderstood what this is about. It’s not about the free upgrade but when support for Windows 10 ends, like Windows 7 ends in 2020 and Windows 8.1 ends in 2023.

[QUOTE=roho;2779150]I think you might have misunderstood what this is about. It’s not about the free upgrade but when support for Windows 10 ends, like Windows 7 ends in 2020 and Windows 8.1 ends in 2023. I think they did the same as they are doing now when Windows 8.1 replaced Windows 8.[/QUOTE]
Yep, you’re right - I actually jumped to conclusion :o

The real question is, what happens come 2026 when support ends if 10 is supposed to be the last version of Windows??? At a guess, every time there’s an anniversary or redstone new version, the support cycle will extend accordingly.

Or they’ll do something they’ve never done before and do the opposite of what they said and produce another version of Windows… :rolleyes:

RS2 which to my knowledge will be named simply Redstone will probably see support until 2027 and so on. Maybe the next after that will be Yellowstone and so on until it ends up simply stoned or tombstoned, whichever comes first I guess :bigsmile:

I figure they do this so they can keep milking it til they come out with Windows 16 something new:Z:Z:Z.

The rate at which IT advances is exponential so cannot imagine what will be available to the consumer in 2026 or 27. If we look back 15 years and see how far the advances in technology have come, what will they be like in 10 years (exponential remember :-). What software will be needed to run those new fangled items? I imagine Windows will not be in its present form just like the machines of 15 years ago had much different software.Â

My present phone has 500 times the storage capacity of my first IBM compatible PC, 3,000 times more RAM and WAY faster too, processing power difference is off the chart and speed difference, who knows so what will the new hardware be like. I can only imagine desktop machines will be a thing of the past and probably laptops as we know them.Â

When I was at school we used slide rules. Electronic calculators, the hand held kind, were very expensive so were not available. Now everyone walks around with the then equivalent of a mainframe in their pocket. So what will the future bring and what will be the software that will run it. I do not imagine Windows 10.xx will be part of that future.

I do wonder what will happen in 2025 when W10 isn’t supported. Perhaps they will adopt the GNU/Linux OS. They might call their distro Winux or something.

If Microsoft doesn’t make any newer versions of Windows, 2026 will be the year GNU/Linux will become mainstream.

Another good possibility is Microsoft finally freeing Windows. If Microsoft releases Windows under a free software license, the Free Software community would have obvious benefits.

I’m 72 hope I am still around in 2025!

If you are let us know

Hope I will!