PlexWriter 16/10/40A review

HolyCow used our newssubmit to tell us that TheDukeOfURL has a review of the PlexWriter 16/10/40A. Of course the PlexWriter has not let him down, and the cons are only that they had a hard time getting the drive in their PC, and the 2Mb buffer, but as the drive supports BurnProof this is not really a big point.

Also intresting is that this review also looks how the Plextor performs under Linux. Plextor
does not deliver Linux software with the drive, so you should not expect a great perfomance using this OS, but the PlexWriter does not dissapoint !

ADVERTISEMENT

Introduction:

The crowned King of the CD recordable world once again releases another burner. I was a bit doubt filled when I saw the 16/10/40 tag. Immediately I doubted it, assuring myself that the drive most likely definitely did not burn at a true 16. The PlexWriter also touts its' burn-proof technology. I also was pretty skeptical about all of that, but I let myself consider it. This was Plextor, King of the CD-Writers.

Having nothing but good luck with Plextor drives in the past, I tossed the thing in and prepared to go through a spindle of CDs to way the things mettle. Also troubling, was the fact that I had obtained the IDE version of the drive. This reinforced my doubts about being able to burn at true 16x speed.

ADVERTISEMENT

The PlexWriter has some pretty big specs to be boasting about itself. The 16/10/40 is nothing to shake a fish at, but that's just a drop in the barrel. The drive offers a 140 ms average random access time, and 16.6 MB/sec burst read/write (which is as fast as some hard disks!). You know you're going to be burning like a house surrounded by pyromaniacs.

After seeing what Plextor could do on SCSI drives, I was interested to see how it could stack up with its IDE drives. Since this recorder doesn't have SCSI, Plextor enlisted in the Burn-Proof technology to prevent buffer errors. With only 2 MB of cache, one

Read more here.

ADVERTISEMENT

Source: TheDukeOfURL

No posts to display