Microsoft extends life of Microsoft Security Essentials for XP until July 14, 2015

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Microsoft extends life of Microsoft Security Essentials for XP until July 14, 2015[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2014/01/microsoft-security-essentials-95x75.jpg[/newsimage]
[quote][/quote]
Read the full article here: http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-extends-life-of-microsoft-security-essentials-for-xp-until-july-14-2015-70209/

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

“Research”? What research?

Has Microsoft done any research on Windows 98, 2k, Millennium, etc.? Or, did they just crap out ever they want us to believe, much like they always do?

Granted, stuff security updates to the OS, itself could theoretically help protect an OS. However, if Microsoft wants to claim that some “research” proves this, they should actually do some.

On a brighter note, I’m glad to see that we (at my workplace) won’t need to switch A/V programs for awhile. Most of our computers use XP, and some can’t be upgraded to Vista, as they’re quite old.

oh boo hoo. kill it off already. its xp. Sheesh

[QUOTE=chickenlittle;2716579]oh boo hoo. kill it off already. its xp. Sheesh[/QUOTE]

I take it you don’t use it then. :bigsmile:

[B]Wombler[/B]

It’s nice to see Microsoft is offering 15 years of free service for an expensive OS. I noticed a laptop imported from China is priced at about US$350 including 10% VAT and 120GB Samsung EVO mSATA SSD AND Windows 8.1. But Windows 7 which I bought for over US$300 prompts me to pay an additional US$200 for an update to Windows 8. Maybe it’s time to diversify.

[QUOTE=chickenlittle;2716579]oh boo hoo. kill it off already. its xp. Sheesh[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Wombler;2716600]I take it you don’t use it then. :bigsmile:

[B]Wombler[/B][/QUOTE]

I guess they don’t or have disdane for XP but since there is no logic behind it there isn’t much to worry about them. They seem to forget XP was around for a long time and I mean long time compared to ME :Z, Vista…

@ chickenlittle , Try to open & view the files on a -VR mode recorded DVD on an OS newer than XP.
I haven’t tried to do this on Windows8 but I would expect the same result.
I grant this is an unusual mode & I only have one standalone that will write to a DVD -RW in this mode.
XP has no problem opening one of these DVD’s.
Even 98SE will open it.
Right now I have Windows 98, XP Pro , Vista & Windows 7 on various computers.
Vista still has support for the present. At least Windows Updates are still coming in for it. Since I don’t use MSE I can’t say if it is available for Vista.

eek. i really stepped in it.

dont take it the wrong way, i LOVED XP when it came out, but i am so used to 7 now, i cannot stand going back to xp. all those bits and pieces in 7 are pretty damn cool.

my point here is that MS… i mean M$ should just end support of xp and move on, and even make it free (require no activation) <Doubt it, but hey, one may dream!

There is just too much boo hoo about XP when we have MUCH better OS technologies out now. but its all up to you guys.

I didn’t mean to eek you.
I just wanted to make the point that there are reasons for still having an older useable OS .
Sometimes the “MUCH better OS technologies out now” can’t do something the older one will. In that case the newer one is not better.

Well for one Nero 6 work great in XP but can’t install in Windows 7 that is the one program version I will miss. It worked wonders for me and now the rest of Nero is just bloatware and not as good as Nero 6.

[QUOTE=chickenlittle;2716635]eek. i really stepped in it.

dont take it the wrong way, i LOVED XP when it came out, but i am so used to 7 now, i cannot stand going back to xp. all those bits and pieces in 7 are pretty damn cool.

my point here is that MS… i mean M$ should just end support of xp and move on, and even make it free (require no activation) <Doubt it, but hey, one may dream!

There is just too much boo hoo about XP when we have MUCH better OS technologies out now. but its all up to you guys.[/QUOTE]

Just saying one shouldn’t forget the experience from the previous O/S is what made Windows the brand name everyone is trying to be like and that Windows 8 just doesn’t fly. Windows 7 is a leap and bound upgrade from XP as it becomes a true multiple user O/S like Unix is with separate account and it works Vista had this feature as well but I liked it for it clean look in Windows 7.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2716644]Well for one Nero 6 work great in XP but can’t install in Windows 7 that is the one program version I will miss. It worked wonders for me and now the rest of Nero is just bloatware and not as good as Nero 6.[/QUOTE]

Funny… the last time I said that on a forum, everyone get mad, claiming that I “don’t know what [I’m] talking about”, because “Nero isn’t bloated at all”.

For those of you who don’t know, the latest version of Nero Burning Rom (which I do believe only support the bare necessities of disc burning), requires at least 1/2 GB of RAM (assuming you’re running XP, as Vista/7/8 require no less than 1 gig). That’s equal to the entire Ubuntu GNU/Linux O/S! Also, WTF is with that 500MB HD space requirement!? It must take a year and a half to download the damn thing, followed by another month or two to install the “security updates”.

And that’s why I love IMGBurn… most of what Nero Burning Rom can do, IMGBurn can do much faster. Combine this with programs like Foobar2000, Exact Audio Copy, and DVDStyler, and you have most/all the same functions without the bloat.

Hmm, there will be a problem with security for those who cannot or will not leave XP…

“What shall we do?”

Extend support for the weakest antivirus of the lot!