Microsoft ends support of Windows 7/8.1 and Office 2010/2013 on its forums

Originally published at: https://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-ends-support-of-windows-7-8-1-and-office-2010-2013-on-its-forums-84430/

Microsoft employees will no longer provide support on the Microsoft Answers forums that cover Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Internet Explorer 10, Office 2010, Security Essentials and several Surface devices, the Redmond software giant announced today.

I’d argue they barely offered much ‘support’ in the first place. Microsoft Answers is consistently one of the most unhelpful destinations in results when searching for problems. Their dev Q&A site is at least better.

I’ve frequently come across the most generic template of responses marked by moderators as the solution even when the remaining replies suggest otherwise.

Great Now we can get the good answers instead of the Generic Run You In Circle Answers That Do Not Help

While I totally agree those forums are not the most helpful of places, it’s still pretty poor of Microsoft to pull support in the forums for products they still officially support. Windows 8.1 has over 4 1/2 years of support left for god sake.

Maybe they can’t spare the staff because they are snowed under having to provide Windows 10 support…? :rofl:

Problem is they own the Software Rights and make the choices we have to live by. And going to another O/S isn’t a easy choice to make. All need to go 2016 Windows 10 or loose out - that’s a hard choice that will have to be made. My sister her computers - I changed all to Windows 10 and office 2016 for that reason.

I’ve never found their “support” articles to be of any use at all. I can’t actually recall a single occasion where those articles have ever solved a problem that I encountered.

I myself have found some useful for the related problem on some of my problems.

I just ran into this experience (yet again) for an issue I could not find a simple answer to.

A colleague at work asked me how to view older messages in Outlook 2016 that were not cached. Basically at the bottom of the folder is a message “There are more items in this folder on the server. Connect to the server to view them.”, however, it’s not exactly clear how to do this. There is no link or button to show older messages and there’s no ‘Connect to server’ button in sight either. Outlook itself was clearly connected as it says “Connected to: Microsoft Exchange” and the send/receive buttons only fetch the latest messages.

So after no luck with Outlook’s “Tell me what you want to do” quick help, I though let’s Google that. Well, I didn’t exactly get far either. There were many threads on Microsoft’s support forum clearly asking the same question with all sorts of answers that did not answer this question, this one in particular.

Anyway, I went back to my PC and went through the toolbar tabs one-by-one as it just hit me that I did this before. In the Folder tab, there is an icon “View on server” which sure enough views all the older messages. Yet no mention of that icon in any of the threads I viewed.

So I thought I’ll sign in to Microsoft and post a quick reply to help anyone else that runs into the same issue. Well, so much for trying to be helpful: “You cannot reply to this thread as it is locked” :roll_eyes: and the same goes for every other thread I viewed asking this same question.

That’s what I usually end up doing.