Microsoft downgrades all OneDrive plans, gets rid of unlimited storage for Office 365 users

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Microsoft downgrades all OneDrive plans, gets rid of unlimited storage for Office 365 users[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2014/04/myce-onedrive-logo-95x75.jpg[/newsimage]

Microsoft will downgrade all plans for its cloud storage service OneDrive. The company will lower the storage capacity of its free account from 15GB to 5GB and will put restrictions on the unlimited storage accounts that came with Office 365.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-downgrades-all-onedrive-plans-gets-rid-of-unlimited-storage-for-office-365-users-77704/](http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-downgrades-all-onedrive-plans-gets-rid-of-unlimited-storage-for-office-365-users-77704/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I figure this was coming…

i think A Drive also did away with their free accounts

The cost of providing millions of free accounts with 15GB would be extremely high and what is MS getting back for doing so? I don’t think most people would move onto a paid plan from their free account. Dropbox only offers 2 or 3GB for a free account and Sugarsync removed any free storage a couple of years ago.Â
Regarding the unlimited account, MS should never have advertised a plan as “Unlimited” as there would always be a percentage of users who would use an extreme amount. A more sensible approach would have been to market it as something like “10TB”.

Many people are calling this a bait and switch, and it’s hard to disagree, even the paid plans have had their storage capacities slashed.

Why offer 15GB and camera roll extras and other things you could do to increase your limit if they can’t cope? Why blame this on a few users who are using the “unlimited” space as they are perfectly entitled? Why not put a cap on the top end of 1TB or 5TB and leave everyone else alone? This all smells decidedly iffy.

Meanwhile all I hear is" MS is not good, I don’t like Windows 10 " and their stock is up 40% in the last 3 months. The equity markets are a forward looking indicator . You can complain all you want but MS rules, and you will either use their OS or get kicked down to Linux. LOL.:smiley:

[QUOTE=alan1476;2762899]Meanwhile all I hear is" MS is not good, I don’t like Windows 10 " and their stock is up 40% in the last 3 months. The equity markets are a forward looking indicator . You can complain all you want but MS rules, and you will either use their OS or get kicked down to Linux. LOL.:D[/QUOTE]
Actually it will be the mac that will take the slack. Linux is to far behind to make a difference. They are not good because of shoving down user throat if they make a good O/S I doubt they get this kinda knee jerk reaction. It’s very simple make a good O/S the masses want and you will get even a bigger market share and higher stock. That isn’t that hard to understand.

I would never use any cloud storage, it all comes down to trust again. I’d rather use my own storage. Apart from disc disasters, it’s mine and no one can reduce the total space.

[QUOTE=voxsmart;2762935]I would never use any cloud storage, it all comes down to trust again. I’d rather use my own storage. Apart from disc disasters, it’s mine and no one can reduce the total space.[/QUOTE]

I get your drift, me neither.
What I did was to visit the Microsoft research web, download the technology and create my own ‘no one else’s drive’, isolate that in a non-domain-member virtual machine with access to exactly one folder on the domain with access as a very restricted domain user - Case closed.
Still it is mainly in use only as a temporary folder where I can upload or store for others to download. Simple huh? :bigsmile:

Simple is best, but doing that kind of thing is way beyond simple to me. I’ll stick with my NAS. :smiley: