Microsoft discontinues retail sales of Windows 7

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Microsoft discontinues retail sales of Windows 7[newsimage]http://static.myce.com/images_posts/newsitem_small.jpg[/newsimage]
[quote][/quote]
Read the full article here: http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-discontinues-retail-sales-of-windows-7-69789/

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Its a shame but you will be able to buy OEM versions on Ebay and other sites for years to come, maybe by then Windows 9 will be out LOL.:wink:

After finding Win2000 for sale - and rather expensively - I don’t think XP fans who lose their disks while playing in freeways - will be at a loss. Too bad public-domain doesn’t kick in - “If you’re not going to offer a commercial product for sale any longer, then…”

I bet it’s a shame that Ballmer can’t push more folks into enroll in BallmerCare. Er, Win8’s AppStore. “Sorry, you can’t keep your old OS. Gotta change.”

Yeah, unfortunately buying Win7 copies from non-established can be problematic. There are guys who will sell OEM copies, but no key or no functional key. And fly by night sellers who will sucker as many people as possible.

This is why I keep thinking, “Folks should be listing their critical Windows programs, and then start to consider the free-OS alternatives to those programs.”

[QUOTE=ChristineBCW;2712186]This is why I keep thinking, “Folks should be listing their critical Windows programs, and then start to consider the free-OS alternatives to those programs.”[/QUOTE]

While I agree with you to a certain degree,IMHO,this only applies to people like you and a big handful of others…you can’t compare the “geek level” of tech forum visitors and the (almost) illitenateness from your average neighbour or family member when it’s about “knowing” computers.
I am the “IT helpdesk” of both my family and the in-laws,which says enough about their level of computer expertise…:bigsmile: :Z
Linux and it’s derivates can only become mainstream when it works right out of the box for most tasks and plays every mediafile without browsing repositories with synaptic or apt-get…not to mention using the terminal and sudo command to get administrator tasks done…
and also important: when they join forces to only distribute a few editions,instead of scattering the Linux landscape with all these forks…

I agree. “Open Terminal” is a discussion point that Linux zealots need to seriously tattoo on each other’s forehead before proclaiming yet another Year Of Linux! Until Linux cloaks its skeleton and organs in a structure where years and years aren’t required to master, Linux’s Year is probably closer to 2525.

But at the same time, if folks don’t start considering their truly crucial Windows applications - the ones they simply can’t live without - then Linux will be left in the domain of the Few, some of which will always wonder why. Du-uh…

I DO halfway enjoy the Forks for the sake of diversity and choice in the UI. But ONLY in the User Interface. I’d love to see Win9 arrive with Classic Windows UI as one choice. There’s no reason Win8 couldn’t have that, too - all the registry components exist to return my control over every screen object’s colorings. Every font’s ownership and reduce my disk space.

Linux is still shotgunning its way down the computer trail. I think the ‘forks’ and distros are actually forcing people to believe it’s more quicksand than concrete.

And complaints about Windows end up as little more than rattling. This is going to be an interesting 2 years in Windows history.

Here is an interesting addendum to the story. Since this news became widespread (on Reddit and other sites), Microsoft has amended their chart showing the end of retail sales. It no longer says October 30, 2013, but has been changed to say: [I]To be determined[/I].

[QUOTE=ChristineBCW;2712190]And complaints about Windows end up as little more than rattling.[/QUOTE]

That’s because there’s no foolproof alternative.
Tech savvy users complain about missing features in win 8,those are the ones that will try Linux as alternative out of frustration and to show their middlefinger to Balmer…
However,most complainers are the people who are used to a real windows desktop and now don’t find their way around as easily as in the past.
Their voices will slowly go down the more they get familiar with 8 and the more they recognise under the hood after peeling off some annoying shells…after all,it’s still windows under the hood,even if it looks different in the beginning.
OTOH,Linux is stlll Linux,even if you can make it look like WINDOWS 7

Kerry - pretty interesting. I saw an article saying the Chinese Gov’t was officially leaning on Microsoft to continue support for WinXP because of their vast dependence on it (and a good portion are pirated copies).

This pressure plus this amazing bit of publicity must be like being wheeled to the guillotine with XP’s demise, and having one’s head locked down with Win7’s limits on retail future.

I wonder if Microsoft will include “absolutely no vol license sales either” to this zenith of their sales concepts?

Selling onesy’s and twosy’s isn’t so big to MS Retail. But a 1,000 or 10,000 license agreement used to be common and with Win8, those number of interested companies dwindled. If they really want to push their customers over a cliff, that “includes vol license sales” will be included too. “To be determined”.

Has Ballmer’s replacement really arrived?

[QUOTE=ChristineBCW;2712200]
Has Ballmer’s replacement really arrived?[/QUOTE]

Whatever mental infirmity that he suffered from is contagious and spread company wide…or was that the other way around?

Our only hope is for continued driver support for legacy OSs.

Can see it now…(old geek)“Son, I remember when computers could copy all sorts of stuff and programs and apps that were free.”

Or on the shady street corner in the future: “Psst, come here…anything you want in computing…how about W7 compatibility with * motherboard…”

[QUOTE=roadworker;2712198]…

Tech savvy users complain about missing features in win 8,those are the ones that will try Linux as alternative out of frustration and to show their middlefinger to Balmer…
However,most complainers are the people who are used to a real windows desktop and now don’t find their way around as easily as in the past.

…[/QUOTE]

Tech-savvy users cannot find out how to navigate within Windows 8.1? What are your definitions of being tech, savvy, and tech-savvy?

[QUOTE=Kenshin;2712252]Tech-savvy users cannot find out how to navigate within Windows 8.1? What are your definitions of being tech, savvy, and tech-savvy?[/QUOTE]

You’re mixing up my comment,perhaps that’s quite easy,since I have no master degree in english…:o
I’ll try again:
1/Tech savvy users complain about missing features in win 8 and added bloat.
2/However,the most amount of complainers are the Average Joe’s who don’t find their way around as easy as in the past.
Better???:bigsmile:

[QUOTE=roadworker;2712254]1/Tech savvy users complain about missing features in win 8 and added bloat.[/QUOTE]

Actually, this is one area that Windows 8 actually achieves something; For (what I believe to be) the first time in Microsoft history, the new system as the same hardware requirements as the old system. Then again, the old system had rediculous disk space, RAM, and CPU requirements, so perhaps my arguement isn’t valid. I’ll let you good people decide that for your selves.

However, I do believe GNU/Linux systems can be much easier than Windows 8 for non-tech-savy users. It’s true that these people might have a harder time with GNU/Linux than Windows XP, but I can’t Windows 8 being any easier.

At least with GNU/Linux systems, there are fewer drastic gui changes than with Windows (at least in my experience). If such a large change occurs, someone will probably find a way to bring the old GUI back, making everyone’s lives easier.

However, the arguement that these systems can’t do everything “out of the box” as easily as Windows isn’t entirely valid. If you want to play an OGM video, you’ll likely need third-party codecs (I’ve seen plenty of malware disguised as codecs). If you want to work with spread sheets, you’ll need to install spread sheet software.

That said Ubuntu seems to come with a varity of codecs to play almost anything (thank you Libav!). Ubuntu also comes with LibreOffice, so you can use/create/modify a variety of documents out of the box! Although I’ve only ever used Ubuntu for “serious” computing, I imagine that this logic applies to most GNU/Linux systems.

And, let’s not forget that even novices can benefit from Freedom-respecting software. As Richard Stallman would say, if you don’t have the skills to modify your (presumably Free) software, you can always hire someone else to do so for you (assuming there isn’t already a fork out there with the changes you wanted).

To make life even better, one can also install WINE, enabling your system to run an increasing number of Windows programs.

OK,maybe time for a new trial run of Linux then.:p:iagree:

A few questions:
Which program can compete with the windows versions of AnyDvdHD and DvdFab Blu-Ray Ripper?

I tried Wine in the past,but would it be a wise decision to buy the latest version of Codeweaver’s CrossOver?

Propietary graphics drivers were an issue on my eyefinity system,is there improvement now?

Any decent alternative for Daemon-Tools Advanced or Alcohol 120%?

What’s the best Blu-ray software player with support for bd+ and menu’s?

@TSJNachos

Roadworker has posted some interesting questions for you, but this is straying WAY off the original subject. I’m going to copy roadworker’s last post and put it into a new thread, which you can find here: http://club.myce.com/f3/trying-linux-again-334659/

I would appreciate it if you would continue the discussion of Linux in that thread. Thank you.

Perhaps, I could help return the subject to Windows. I can guarantee everyone in my family would love to use Windows 7, rather than 8. I can’t think of any good reason to end 7 support this close to Christmas.

At least they’ve seen fit to change their mind.

TSJ - return to the subject of the thread?!! NO WAY! You’re the nut who quotes Dennis against using Watery Tarts offering up Swords as a method for supreme executive power!

Roadworker argued that there’s no useful alternative, and I echo that sentiment. It’s going to be interesting to see when (or IF?) China’s immense consumer market can sway Microsoft’s decisions.

I think the timing of China’s strong requests (protests) about MS’s End-of-XP-Support plus this original Win7 retail derailment is a factor in the soon-thereafter date change of “[I][B]To be determined[/B][/I]”.