Microsoft currently distributing Windows 10 to users before official launch

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Microsoft currently distributing Windows 10 to users before official launch[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2015/01/Windows10_hero-95x75.jpg[/newsimage]
[quote][/quote]
Read the full article here: http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-currently-distributing-windows-10-to-users-before-official-launch-76799/

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Its a 6.0Mb update for Windows 7, that will give you the Windows 10 update rights.

That full 60GB better not be download only lol or i can imagine users being slapped with an expensive ISP bill. Not every ISP in every country gives out lots of bandwith. Over here in belgium bandwith = $$$

Alan: that update wouldn’t be KB2952664 by any chance would it. Looks like they re-issued that optional one for like the 4th or 5th time. Just appeared on my dl list again after being previously hidden. The folks doing the NL update descriptions need to be retrained lol. Description in the Windows “Windows update” part as pretty much always states “install this update to solve problems in windows. for complete list … reboot”.

It’s only when the user selects “more info” the internet page actually displays “this update helps M$ to add enchancements to the current operating system to ease the migration to the most recent windows version”.

So attention all users: if you have NO DESIRE (like me) to immediately upgrade, BLOCK KB2952664 THAT WAS RE-ISSUED.

[QUOTE=Ch3vr0n;2757538]That full 60GB better not be download only lol or i can imagine users being slapped with an expensive ISP bill. Not every ISP in every country gives out lots of bandwith. Over here in belgium bandwith = $$$

Alan: that update wouldn’t be KB2952664 by any chance would it. Looks like they re-issued that optional one for like the 4th or 5th time. Just appeared on my dl list again after being previously hidden. The folks doing the NL update descriptions need to be retrained lol. Description in the Windows “Windows update” part as pretty much always states “install this update to solve problems in windows. for complete list … reboot”.

It’s only when the user selects “more info” the internet page actually displays “this update helps M$ to add enchancements to the current operating system to ease the migration to the most recent windows version”.

So attention all users: if you have NO DESIRE (like me) to immediately upgrade, BLOCK KB2952664 THAT WAS RE-ISSUED.[/QUOTE]

This is it

Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2952664)

Installation date: ‎7/‎28/‎2015 1:47 PM

Installation status: Successful

Update type: Recommended

Install this update to resolve issues in Windows. For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article for more information. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

More information:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2952664

Help and Support:
http://support.microsoft.com

That’s the one I figured, they reissued that one like 4 or 5 times now. I reported about that one in an earlier news article. Though here it’s under the ‘optional’ updates if it’s not installed yet. It’s not a new update, just have to re-block it.

[QUOTE=Ch3vr0n;2757540]That’s the one I figured, they reissued that one like 4 or 5 times now. I reported about that one in an earlier news article. Though here it’s under the ‘optional’ updates if it’s not installed yet. It’s not a new update, just have to re-block it.[/QUOTE] Why, I have 5 builds, this is the one I am going to try the Windows 10 on.

Didn’t say YOU had to block it, was in general for ppl like me that have no intention of installing w10 immediately. This new reissue of the update nullified previous blocking off it and ppl could end up with that downloader again against their will.

I’ll await the first round of major bug fixes etc that are issued. They never got an OS right the first place. Usually took a service pack to do that.

However since you WANT to install it, you obviously don’t have to block it. :wink:

I’m surprised they are issuing it to Windows 7 Enterprise users also.

My desktop PC is running the enterprise version which is exempt from the free Windows 10 upgrade, yet just as I was about to shutdown my PC, I saw the yellow shield next to ‘Shut down’, so was curious to check what update it is and sure enough it’s this one:

My laptop running Windows 8.1 got what appears to be the related update today - KB2976978:

For anyone who wants to force the upgrade to Windows 10, you can download the Media Creation Toolkit. When you start the program, it offers a direct update (haven’t tried that one yet) or to download Windows 10 Home (N) / Pro (N) with x86 / x64 or both in several languages.

I’ll grab the tool to make an NL iso carrying both x86 & x64 and smash that thing on either an old system or my laptop to tinker with it a little. It’s definitely not going on my primary system for a while until it’ll have become more “stable” (ie couple round of updates have been done or sp1 is out). Finding critical bugs a couple days before release doesn’t look good.

I downloaded the ISO for both x86 and x64 onto the computer and burned to DVD and will test on a test computer to see how it works. I got a running dvd5 that will be the test goose for it. And use it for test and see how it goes. I got others but have to build those up before using them for the test. Windows 7x64 Ult Sp1 been working fine for me so far with the updates and putting 10 on a important system isn’t a wise move to make for any reason and those doing so do it at their own risk.