Microsoft copied iTunes features in building its music store

vbimport

I just posted the article Microsoft copied iTunes features in building its music store.

While  pretty much every music store that started up tried competing with iTunes using  various methods such as different restrictions, audio formats, sampling,  unlimited temporary downloads...
Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/9068-Microsoft-copied-iTunes-features-in-building-its-music-store.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/9068-Microsoft-copied-iTunes-features-in-building-its-music-store.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Why would people buy anywhere else than form allofmp3.com?

They will get into trouble if they bundle media player 10 into the OS when sold. Also when they unleash Longhorn they best not try anything cute that gives them an upper hand with some sort of music portal. I like the idea of a radio station that plays music. I only want to hear music or news on the radio, nothing else. However, I often wander the airwaves until I turn off the radio or turn on the CD player as there are too many ads (I HATE used car location spots especially) or some disc jockey that thinks he is the new comic genius of the day. You can even give me the ads and do away with the disc jockeys.
[edited by Crabbyappleton on 17.09.2004 04:53]

Hmmm… not to sure about the legality of it. Though if trouble is to be had, I’m sure they’ll be in it as I seriously doubt anything is going to keep WMP out of any Windows release. What is funny is that this is considered news. I don’t even see what the “news” is about it… some stating an opinion about the MSN Music Store. Stating an obvious opinion several weeks after the fact doesn’t exactly strike me as something very news worthy.

Microsoft added the ability to support multiple stores in WMP10 so that they can bundle WMP10 in future versions of Windows. It’s hard to sue them for being anti-competition when they specifically added support for competition in their product. Although this is an evil and anti-business tactic to tack onto Microsoft. I mean, you don’t go to Walmart and they hand you a gift card for Target, now do they?
[edited by Rhelic on 17.09.2004 15:21]

"It’s hard to sue them for being anti-competition when they specifically added support for competition in their product. " Not if you have to pay to be added to the listing. Or not if you have to be using MS DRM. Something tells me you have to give something to be “supported”. “you don’t go to Walmart and they hand you a gift card for Target, now do they?” No and I don’t have to visit Walmart in order to shop at Target either. But I am sure if Target gave Walmart enough money, or if Walmart was to carry Targets products, they would “give” you a Target gift card.
[edited by Crabbyappleton on 17.09.2004 21:47]