Microsoft confirms latest Windows 10 Technical Preview bricks harddisks

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Microsoft confirms latest Windows 10 Technical Preview bricks harddisks[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2012/03/SeagateHDD.jpg[/newsimage]

Users report that the latest Windows 10 Technical Preview bricks HDDs. On the Microsoft Forums users complain that their HDD becomes unresponsive when they’ve installed build 9879 of Windows 10. The system doesn’t boot into Windows and gives an error message.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-confirms-latest-windows-10-technical-preview-bricks-harddisks-73995/](http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-confirms-latest-windows-10-technical-preview-bricks-harddisks-73995/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

While Microsoft provides a fix, it seems to be a fairly complicated solution once you suffer from the “no boot” bug.

[QUOTE=Bakst0ne;2744028]While Microsoft provides a fix, it seems to be a fairly complicated solution once you suffer from the “no boot” bug.[/QUOTE]

Indeed…:iagree:
If you don’t have a 2nd computer,you either have to lend 1 or take the hd out and bring it over to family or friend’s computer to attach or replace the hd with an old 1 lying around somewhere,install a fresh win os and attach the bricked 1 to fix…

I am surprised they still have the 9879 iso on the insider page

Brings new meaning to “Blue Screen of Death”. Wonder if Gates and cohorts will compensate in any way the victims of their software?

[QUOTE=olddancer;2744060]Brings new meaning to “Blue Screen of Death”. Wonder if Gates and cohorts will compensate in any way the victims of their software?[/QUOTE]

Keep hitting the koolaid … :Z

this article is somewhat of an exaggeration, maybe to get traffic to the site through scaremongering. Bricking means destroying a hard drive. This does not do that and the problems reported are not in the majority. The software is also a technical preview for testing purposes so there are bound to be issues. You were warned to install these versions on separate hard drives or in VM’s and not meant as a replacement for your everyday system.

This is good to know. At least I know I’m not crazy. I’ve had 2 drives fail after installing this build. I don’t know how I can fix them though since they are laptop drives. I’ve installed a USB/HDD adapter on them but they cannot be accessed that way. They do show up in the Windows disk management as disc 1 with unallocated space. Any attempt to partition them or format them fails. Any ideas?

Scrub the drives using Drive Erase after booting into Parted Magic. Or use DBAN.

No luck. Looks like the drives are toast. They won’t spin up and one drive causes the computer to power off before POST. I thought I had success with one drive after using Seagate Disk Wizard to wipe and create a primary partition. However windows still reads the disk as blank. I don’t really understand how the Seagate software could wipe the drive without spin up. Oh well! I can get another drive on ebay for $25.

Spinup problem solved! Not as difficult as it appears. Leave the drive in the machine. On another machine download and burn the HDAT2 .ico file. Put the disk in the computer with the malfunctioning drive and power on the computer. You should now be running HDAT in DOS. At the command prompt type HDAT2/w. This will cause the drive to spin up and be able to be recognized by Windows. Simple as that. Shut down and boot to Windows. Install the security patch. One word of warning. The security patch does not always work! Hopefully MS fixes this in the next build.

Microsoft Technical Preview is a work in progress… EVERYONE who installs it… is warned you may have issues and not to install it in your primary machine… Simple enough,…

what else is new :slight_smile: