Microsoft changes packaging and pricing for Windows 8.1

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Microsoft changes packaging and pricing for Windows 8.1
Read the full article here: http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-changes-packaging-and-pricing-for-windows-8-1-68818/

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I don’t think that’s going to be enough to spur sales.

I wouldn’t put it on my computer even if they were giving it away.

Is it just me, or is Microsoft being passive-aggressive (and by that I mean more aggressive than passive) in making desktop apps as inconvenient to work with as possible on Windows 8+?

X, it isn’t just you. I still think Win8 is schizoid because they can’t figure out which direction to go.

But perhaps the best valuation is that they KNOW where they want to go - and that’s the WinStoreApp path that they can do more Tracking, more Per-Use accounting and force your money-links into their pockets.

I’m sure that Microsoft is selling their “WinStore” abilities to vendors saying, “Sell it thru us - stop using FileHippo type sites and only offer your product thru us. We’ll make you fortunes. And you’ll only have to give us a tiny amount.”

And when they can go Always-On and charge Per-Use, they’ll offer those services to vendors, too. “Stop trying to make $500 per license - make $100 up front and a $1 each time someone opens your program - and you’ll know because they have to go thru OUR cloud to activate-use your product!”

It sounds like the trenchcoat wearing heroin-dealers in back alleys.

Other than booting up faster, Windows 8 really doesn’t bring much to the table. They ditch the start menu, and tried to force Metro on people. Windows 8.1 has them takin a step back. They put a button where start used to go, but it brings up a metro type menu. You can boot directly to desktop.

All this time you’ve been able to install (but) third party apps that make windows 8 behave like windows 7. So why upgrade from windows 7? Windows 7 has Aero too…

I wasn’t going to upgrade to windows 8 for the 50 bux they advertised when it came out. What makes them think I’ll pay 120 for Windows 8.1.

I’m perfectly content using windows 7. It’s been about 3 years since I first started using windows 7. I used windows XP for 8 years.

No rush Microsoft… try again :slight_smile:

Zod’s comments make me wonder, “Is there anything Microsoft could do for Win8+ (9? 10?) that would make me feel compelled to update to the next Windows?”

Short of the conspiracy to change or insert hardware, that is.

Not really. Maybe these new waves of Video standards (HEVC) will force hardware changes on me (37 hours! But jeepers, like “12 hours” is so much better! “I’ll do that ONCE in my life…”), but I still don’t like dumbing down MY processes because of the UI.

I use my photo and graphics editors for the same results I’ve needed for 15-20 years. My needs haven’t changed. And I don’t foresee a needed New Result or some new service.

So, why do I have to change MY learned graphics skills to compensate for a UI that wants to override Corner-and-Edge-Of-Screen controls? I don’t want to! The UI should not force me to compensate for a spreadsheet’s distant ‘corner cells’ on screen, nor should it disallow me to drag a Clone Brush from one corner or the other.

I’ll certainly make the move to W8.1 on the 3 machines that use them, undoubtedly in a staggered time-frame, though. But until they return MY user controls for screen-objects - when I can control the colors and locations of MY useful services, I don’t have any reason to compel me to change my XP and W7 boxes to a newer OS. Why go backwards? Why make sacrifices for something that’s merely new but less useful?

And please, Mr. Next Ballmer, take those fonts away and let me control MY own Fonts List.

I still can’t get over how ugly Windows 8 is.
The other day, I upgraded avg, and it adopted the Windows8 styling.

Omfg. It’s like those high contrast ugly themes, except that it’s not high contrast.

It makes me cringe to think that someone actually thought the Windows 8 styling was an improvement over aero.

I can only assume that they need a dog to help them across the street. I bet they have great hearing.

I don’t think MS needs big updates.

Windows 7 feels like an updated more modern Windows XP. The interface is similar. They update the desktop with Aero, made the OS faster, included support for an array of technology that came out between the two platforms.

XP lasted a long time because it was a good OS, but it did become a bit obscelete over time. All MS has to do is make a modern version of windows 7 in a few years and people would buy it. They don’t need to reinvent the farm, or force touchscreen on everyone.

[QUOTE=Zod;2700561]…

I wasn’t going to upgrade to windows 8 for the 50 bux they advertised when it came out. What makes them think I’ll pay 120 for Windows 8.1.

…[/QUOTE]

US$50 is very cheap. People had to pay far more than that in certain other countries. I can list some of the reasons why you are entitled to such low prices.

US$120 is for the RETAIL package of Windows 8.1 that end users at home can install on a freshly formatted HDD or SSD. The US$50 edition was not the same thing. It’s FREE to upgrade from Windows 8.0 to Windows 8.1. What you said sounds as if that upgrade cost were US$70 or more.

Surely things look somewhat different on Microsoft’s native page.

More about Windows 8.1: http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/09/windows-8-1-brings-back-full-retail-versions-as-windows-skus-change-again/

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2700403]We’ve just posted the following news: Microsoft changes packaging and pricing for Windows 8.1
Read the full article here: http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-changes-packaging-and-pricing-for-windows-8-1-68818/

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.[/QUOTE]

“When Windows 8 first appeared, Microsoft broke from their past sales strategies and provided no boxed retail versions of the operating system.”

Completely and utterly false. Retail packaging was available on day one. I bought a copy at Staples.

[QUOTE=Zod;2700561]Other than booting up faster, Windows 8 really doesn’t bring much to the table.[/QUOTE]

Completely wrong. There are numerous performance, security, and other enhancements that make it ten times preferable to previous Windows versions.

[QUOTE=Kenshin;2700700]US$50 is very cheap. People had to pay far more than that in certain other countries. I can list some of the reasons why you are entitled to such low prices.

US$120 is for the RETAIL package of Windows 8.1 that end users at home can install on a freshly formatted HDD or SSD. The US$50 edition was not the same thing.[/QUOTE]

Actually, it was the same thing, practically. You could install the regular U.S. retail version, which was called an “upgrade”, on a freshly formatted disk. I only paid $30 for mine.

[QUOTE=negritude;2700730]“When Windows 8 first appeared, Microsoft broke from their past sales strategies and provided no boxed retail versions of the operating system.”

Completely and utterly false. Retail packaging was available on day one. I bought a copy at Staples.[/QUOTE]

They weren’t regarded as full retail copies. They did offer upgrade and System Builder editions at retail outlets, but the terms of their use differed from previous operating systems sold at retail.

The two positives that remain about Win8+ is “that it better utilizes recent-generations of hardware” and “the $39 price”. We knew they would re-up the price because they said they would - and keeping it in that far-more palatable range would have been their full confession of the marketplace’s reception to the new UI.

Too bad they didn’t try it at $19.95 and leave it there.

But I haven’t seen any evaluation that proves a comment like [I][B]“make it ten times preferable”[/B][/I].

[QUOTE=ChristineBCW;2700766]But I haven’t seen any evaluation that proves a comment like [I][B]“make it ten times preferable”[/B][/I].[/QUOTE]

OK, that may have been a teeny bit of hyperbole, but read:

Both articles mention “less memory” except that’s for the Start Screen applets. Desktop programs are often using far more because Win8 installs even more schedulers, phone-home schemes and validation checks for those.

Of course, I don’t expect these writers to use a sentence like, “If you use Sit Back & Watch StartApps, very little memory is used!” But a program compiler, or re-compiling big databases, even my graphics editors - all have end up with a machine that has less memory available TO THEM. So Win8 consumes more, somewhere, for some reason.

Adding in more fonts that can’t be removed by users is another drain on resources, too. Fifty useless fonts use X amount. A hundred uses X times 2. And Win8 insists more fonts are installed, constantly listed and refreshed, than Win7 and way more than XP required.

Less memory for some applets, more memory for others. Users don’t have a lot of choices, though, in this issue.

[QUOTE=negritude;2700732]Actually, it was the same thing, practically. You could install the regular U.S. retail version, which was called an “upgrade”, on a freshly formatted disk. I only paid $30 for mine.[/QUOTE]

That’s the main reason I stepped in…While win 7 pro costed an arm and a leg, win 8 pro was a real bargain when it came out.
Shure it’s not the same as win 7,and people complain that you have to install 3th party apps to make it look and behave like windows 7.But most of those people don’t mind to install other apps to get their things done…nobody nags about installing Microsoft Word or LibreOffice’s Writer,while WordPad is included with windows for ages…
You want a desktop experience,no app screen and the corner menus blocked?
Install Classic Start Menu,cost: 0$
You want to fiddle with the colorscheme of windows?
Install UltraUxThemepatcher,cost 0$

So,IMHO,for 30$,and free licenses of windows MediaCenter,you can’t go wrong with windows 8…:bow::bigsmile:

[QUOTE=roadworker;2700877]That’s the main reason I stepped in…While win 7 pro costed an arm and a leg, win 8 pro was a real bargain when it came out.
Shure it’s not the same as win 7,and people complain that you have to install 3th party apps to make it look and behave like windows 7.But most of those people don’t mind to install other apps to get their things done…nobody nags about installing Microsoft Word or LibreOffice’s Writer,while WordPad is included with windows for ages…
You want a desktop experience,no app screen and the corner menus blocked?
Install Classic Start Menu,cost: 0$
You want to fiddle with the colorscheme of windows?
Install UltraUxThemepatcher,cost 0$

So,IMHO,for 30$,and free licenses of windows MediaCenter,you can’t go wrong with windows 8…:bow::bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

Thank you! Finally, someone who is making sense. They were practically giving away Windows 8 when it first came out, and Classic Shell brings back the full start menu for [B]FREE[/B], so I don’t know what any of these people are complaining about. It’s all just ridiculous whining to me. :clap:

Plus, Microsoft wasn’t using any verification for the [B]$15[/B] licenses that were supposed to be for people who purchased a new PC with Windows 7. Lots of folks got that without a new purchase.

And my $30 purchase of Windows 8 was for a [B]retail copy with included commercially manufactured discs[/B], both 32-bit and 64-bit. I didn’t even have to deal with any of that downloading crap.

Now, those of us who got in on Windows 8 already are going to get a [B]FREE [/B]update to 8.1. We don’t have to deal with any of these new pricing issues. LOL! :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=negritude;2700976]so I don’t know what any of these people are complaining about. It’s all just ridiculous whining to me.[/QUOTE]

Well…everyone is entitled to have their own opinion…:wink:
Which doesn’t mean that I don’t agree with you,it’s just that the “whiners” try to prove their point by dissing win 8 without trying to make it fit their needs…:rolleyes: