Microsoft CD's?

vbimport

Hi,

Has anyone had any luck on copying Microsoft OS cds? I have a Lite On 24X (Using Fuji Blank CD's) and have tried diffrent settings with Clone CD but they wont copy perfectly. I have also tried scanning it with ClonyXL but it just said that it was ReadErrors (I tried that setting and it didnt work)? If anyone has copied a Microsoft CD or has any good idea for a setting on CloneCD response would be appreciated.
Thanks, Brian

U shouldn’t have any problems backing up your microsoft OS cds because they have no copy protection on them,they never have.

I dont know if this will make a diffrence but these are buisness OS cd’s like one for example has windows 2000 pro, windows 2000 server, and windows 2000 advanced server all on one cd. They say MSDN at the top. I will try using some diffrent cds and settings…

Perhps the cd’s are badly scratched…try to read at 1 speed

Originally posted by PaRaNoiD
U shouldn’t have any problems backing up your microsoft OS cds because they have no copy protection on them,they never have.
Correct. NT Server is known to be slightly oversize (just out past 74:00:00) and so, depending on your 74’ media, you may have to end up using an 80’ CD-R.

I also have the same CD at work. I copied successfully using LiteOn 24x (24102B) firmware 5S57.

I had same problem: got read errors as well when reading the CD. It seems the LiteOn is poor at reading or the MSDN were poorly mastered. Anyway I read the CD using a Toshiba DVD and also tried my Plextor writer (8432A) both of which read it fine.

I suggest you try using a different reader.

My settings in CloneCD were:

Reading:
Read speed: MAX
Reading of subchannels all turned off
Abort on read error: on

For non-protected CDs, you should always turn on Abort on read error because this will allow CloneCD to abort on any read error. Other wise it is possible to make a bad copy but appears to be successful by CloneCD.

Writing:
Write speed: MAX
All settings off except Always close last session

Media used: Verbatim 74min.

I hope the new firmware fixes this problem - I am having doubts about the quality of the LiteOn!!

This is even for trying to backup non games and with no protection!!

i have a 24x lite-on and it is all good copy’s almost anything out there game wise :slight_smile: i heard it cant copy catus data sheild music cd’s worth a damn though :frowning:
i dont know why u are having a problem with them disk unless they are badly scratched.
your drive might be going bad!!! also i strongly recommend keeping your cd’s dust free and clean as much as possible to make lite-on last longer. Just use common sense :slight_smile:

good luck :slight_smile:

Actually I was looking at Flight Simulator 2000 and it has been protected by Safedisk 2, Just a heads up…

teck

Actually I was looking at Flight Simulator 2000 and it has been protected by Safedisk 2, Just a heads up…

Whats that got to do with microsoft OS cds?
Microsoft OS cds are different to microsoft games.

Well the microsoft cd is like a mirror on the back, so it cant be a scratch problem, I hope my liteon isnt going bad, i bought it 2 months ago. I will try buying some 80min cds and tell you how that works, thanks for the help.

Before you go and buy 80 min CDs - you can check with CloneCD the size of the CD. Just put the CD in and click on the reading option then on the second page you should see the size in min:sec:frame.

I hope my drive isn’t going bad!! I got it brand new in Nov 2001. That’s only 5 months!! Well, maybe it is my drive - time to find my receipt for drive replacement. :frowning:

My Plextor have no problem reading the CD and I got it since June 2000.

By the way the CDs were from work (no mine) - the company I work in brought them and they were brand new still in wraps - no scratches. Just like chiapet said - the back of CDs are laid with silver hologram (original) - and you can easily see scratches on them - if any.

Hi all,

I know everyone is talking about making backups using CloneCD (durr spunky its a CloneCD forum…yeah I know) but I have always used Nero to make backups of MS stuff for example win98SE, Win2k, WinXP, MS Office 2000, MS Office XP and they have never given me any problems.

Maybe you should get a cd-rw and try another proggy like Nero or any of the other 1000’s (well almost :p) out there.

Spunky :slight_smile:

Hey what was the settings you used for nero…I tired to burn a backup of WINXP (w/Roxio 5) and work fine until I tried to use it after I slicked my hard drive. It would not work so I had to use my originals. What about CCD4?

Thanks

Originally posted by spunkser21
[B]Hi all,

I know everyone is talking about making backups using CloneCD (durr spunky its a CloneCD forum…yeah I know) but I have always used Nero to make backups of MS stuff for example win98SE, Win2k, WinXP, MS Office 2000, MS Office XP and they have never given me any problems.

Maybe you should get a cd-rw and try another proggy like Nero or any of the other 1000’s (well almost :p) out there.

Spunky :slight_smile: [/B]
:slight_smile:

Originally posted by SiriusNY
Hey what was the settings you used for nero…I tired to burn a backup of WINXP (w/Roxio 5) and work fine until I tried to use it after I slicked my hard drive. It would not work so I had to use my originals.
You can use Private Mail for these sorts of inquiries or go straight to the Nero Forum. Mode 2 will do the job

could we finally stop with the whole MS OS copy stuff, MS OS CD’s have zip, nadda, no encryption i should know i have copied dozens in my day and i use a crappy lg 8080 cd-rw, i would recommend a possible firmware update and taking another shot at it, microsoft is to busy with their internet anti piracy to care if someone copies a disk off. -K- . maybe if you cant copy it you should see it as a sign from the god of Gates himself that you really dont need to be trying.