Microsoft caught automatically updating PCs to Windows 10 without users consent

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Microsoft caught automatically updating PCs to Windows 10 without users consent[newsimage]http://www.myce.com/wp-content/images_posts/2015/10/windows-10-reservation-install-95x75.png[/newsimage]

This weekend Microsoft automatically upgraded Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 computers to Windows 10 without users consent. The Redmond software giant marked an update as “important” after which computers with automatic updates enabled started the upgrade procedure to Windows 10.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-caught-automatically-updating-pcs-windows-10-without-users-consent-78844/](http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-caught-automatically-updating-pcs-windows-10-without-users-consent-78844/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

i’d like to know how Microsoft are getting away with pulling this stunt! i’d also like to know how it’s getting away with forcing IE11 and Bing on to everyone as well. when they tried the browser trick before in the EU they were forced to stop doing it and just give people a choice of what they wanted to use. this time, there is no option, so someone, somewhere must have been given and awfully big ‘incentive’ or ‘campaign contribution’ to let Microsoft be on the top whether you want them to be or not!

I check each and every one of the updates before I let them install. The KB3035583 was actually in the optional list again this time, I hid it again. We shouldn’t need to battle like this with Microsoft all the time, it’s just plain mad! I do not want Windows 10 on this rig. Surely that’s not too much to ask, after all, I did pay for it.
The EU council is preoccupied with immigration and terrorism at the moment, it seems that little else is on the agenda. I can’t see them bothering with Microsoft’s shenanigans.

It was just a matter of time before they had to pull that trick… [S]accidentally[/S] of course.

Why am I not surprised, but allow me to shout out the solution to all of you who’s been but-fucked by Microsoft:
Settings->Update & Security->Recovery->Go back to Windows ??.
This is becoming more and more crazy… People have a right to NOT upgrade unless they want to do so themselves :eek:

And yes, it is about high time Microsoft get some punishment for all their [S]accidental[/S] malicious behavior

I’ve put the GWX Control panel on the two remaining Windows 7 computers that I have to supervise. http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/

It has a monitor mode to watch for Windows 10 updates.

It’s a sad state of affairs when you have to view your operating system as potential Malware, but that’s the way I’ve been seeing Microsoft ever since they offered the “FREE” upgrade to Windows 10. I had a feeling they’d use their dominance in the marketplace and their absolute control over your PC to eventually get very pushy about upgrading. Expect more and worse to come. Microsoft has very little in the way of ethics.

BTW, shouldn’t we be asking ourselves exactly why they’re suddenly offering Windows 10 for free when they’ve always charged an exorbitant price for their operating systems in the past? We may not like some of the answers we come up with.

We all know the answer :
They will make more selling ad space than operating systems. Continuous flow of ads and money.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2770137]I’ve put the GWX Control panel on the two remaining Windows 7 computers that I have to supervise. http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/

It has a monitor mode to watch for Windows 10 updates.[/QUOTE]

:iagree: - Still it should be unnecessary for the user to do anything at all…
The worst part, it does not even stop there, in Windows 10 I have managed to get the OS to shut the fuck up at the network card so nothing leaks out, but still that Windows Update service keeps chiming in with a status changed from ‘Disabled’ to ‘Automatic’ and over time I feel it gets to annoy me to the extent my mood go from :bigsmile: to :a.

I somehow wonder when Microsoft will accept that this is my preference just like accepting that other users are quite happy with Windows 7 / 8.1 and that it is the user’s choice at the end of the day.

[QUOTE=pcarey;2770138][U]BTW, shouldn’t we be [/U][U]asking ourselves exactly why they’re suddenly offering Windows 10 for free when they’ve always charged an exorbitant price for their operating systems in the past[/U]? We may not like some of the answers we come up with.[/QUOTE]

That is already settled… Part of it is reported to NSA directly, not doing a detour via Microsoft.

EDIT: Rechecking sources, this needs correction as it seems to be based on loose assumptions that Microsoft have no need for the information and I got the news via a biased source it seems. There is no proof that the information does not go to Microsoft first based on ‘who is’ and ping information.

Does anyone know which countries has this upgrade happened in?

If they try doing it here they could be committing a criminal offence.

[QUOTE=Ibex;2770146]Does anyone know which countries has this upgrade happened in?

If they try doing it here they could be committing a criminal offence.[/QUOTE]

I was unable to find the reddit link, but found this:

hmmm, it could be this:
https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/4a5edx/psa_windows_7_computers_are_being_reported_as/

or this:
https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/4a59p4/psa_windows_7_computers_are_being_reported_as/

It would be a lot easier if we were left with a link to read it ourselves, oh well…

Yup, was optional again for me too and it was in the list last week or something. Hid that thing again the second i saw it. I’m not going to upgrade to Win 10 until end of june to get the key. Then go back to windows 7 until its no longer supported.

I now have two peoples laptops that were updated (by choice and persuasion by Microsoft but not by me) to 10 and both are screwed, the owners decided to go back to 7 and it didn’t work. both machines were less than a week in to the upgrade.
I told them to return the lappies to the outlet from where they were purchased as a free upgrade was one of the reasons for buying them. I’m fed up with trying to sort out computers that have been screwed by 10 upgrades.

For Microsoft to upgrade without the owners permission is outrageous!
Who the hell can get Microsoft to pull in their reins.

Now do a clean installation of Windows 7 64 bit and disable updates. Hehe, I bet your key wont work. LOL.

[QUOTE=pcarey;2770156]Sorry about the double post, guys. I wasn’t sure whether I hit the Post button, or not the first time. Sometimes there’s quite a delay and sometimes there isn’t.[/QUOTE]

No problem; it’s understandable. Want to get rid of one of them?

Albert,

Yes, How about deleting my last post and the third from the last. Just leave the second from the last. Where the heck is the EDIT function? Your forum instructions say there should be an edit function, but I sure can’t find it. Anyway, thanks for your understanding.

I’m pretty sure the edit post button is on a timer, so after so much time it goes away.
I have a few forums that do that so it’s frustrating when I realize I made a spelling error I missed or a double post like you did.
SO I guess we all need to proofread and spell check early on in case we missed something while we still have time to fix it.
When I post from my tablet it’s really bad because the auto correct guesses wrong a lot:a

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2770137]I’ve put the GWX Control panel on the two remaining Windows 7 computers that I have to supervise. http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/

It has a monitor mode to watch for Windows 10 updates.[/QUOTE]
I just use my custom Regedit that I created from my own registry edit and it works just fine no more gwx or windowupdate10 nags…even if I update the KB303558.

Just use the Regedit I created it’s simple to use and install and is clean.

Post #9

[QUOTE=pcarey;2770159]Albert,

Yes, How about deleting my last post and the third from the last. Just leave the second from the last. Where the heck is the EDIT function? Your forum instructions say there should be an edit function, but I sure can’t find it. Anyway, thanks for your understanding.[/QUOTE]

It happens to me also sometimes, no worries , have fun.:wink:

Since M$ offered a so called, “free upgrade (BS)” I purchased an OEM version of Windows 10 Pro doing a fresh install. My Win7 Pro activation code should still be valid. Also it would not become invalid after 30 days.
Jeff